Universe Cards

bleuivy

I've had this deck for about two months, and I love it. The only other oracles I own are Froud's Faeries oracle and Titania's Fortune Cards, but the Universe Cards are my favorite still (so far, though I'm only starting to get to know the Froud's).

I think there are many reasons I respond so well to these cards. The images are gorgeous, and they really make my mind and intuition work in different ways. Also, I love the key words at the bottom of the cards, because they help me focus on what the image is trying to tell me, although sometimes, depending on the reading or the position in the spread, I find myself directly contradicting the key word with my interpretation. But I do think the key words are helpful as a focus for each image.

The book is also excellent. I have a (small) background in astronomy, so I already knew the facts behind most of the images on the cards. But the book helps in taking those dry scientific facts and translating them for divination work. If left me very impressed.

Another reason I think I respond so well to these cards are because I'm a scientist. I spend every day in a lab studying the natural world (though admittedly not astronomy), and then come home and work my intuition with tarot and oracles. This deck combines the two "worlds" I travel in very well.

I'm glad others enjoy these cards, because I think they really are an excellent oracle.

And here's a shameless plug: I think the SOUL Gathering is on hiatus, but if and when it returns, bring your Universe Cards along! It is so far the only deck I've used to do readings for the SOUL Gathering, and the deck has always recieved rave reviews.

Leo62

Wow it's great to hear that people are using and enjoying the deck...Thanks for reviving the thread Helvetica and bleuivy.

Now for my shameless plug: If you have problems getting hold of the deck, PM me, because I still have several copies and would be happy to sell or trade.

(Hope this isn't breaking the rules...)

Sophie

You've given us a wonderful gift, Leo, I'm only too pleased to have discovered those cards while I was mindlessly browsing the net!

Bleuivy - would love a Universe Cards exchange once the Soul Gatherings revive. Or even before! I'm not doing readings this week but hopefully will start again next week.

I love what you said about joining science and oracles, Bleuivy. To me that's one of the virtues of this decks. The two worlds are often seen as poles apart but this oracle links them so beautifully.

TemperanceAngel

Thanks to zorya for showing me this thread :)

And to Leo62 for creating such a beautiful deck :D Can you tell me what inspired you to use these images for an oracle deck?

This is definately going on my wishlist. I have just purchased two decks this week, so cannot afford another just yet.

Leo62

TemperanceAngel said:
Can you tell me what inspired you to use these images for an oracle deck?
Actually, a good friend of mine gave me the inspiration. He told me about the Hubble website and said...wouldn't they make a good tarot?
I was blown away by the images but I thought they needed their "own" structure and wouldn't fit very comfortably within the tarot format. I had the idea of making the cards a journey from the Earth out into the Universe, mirroring the inner journey in much the same way as the major arcana.
Most of the images I used were from the Hubble, though I did have to use a couple of other sources, notably the Anglo-Australian Observatory in New South Wales.

Makes me sad that the Hubble is dying a slow death having contributed so much to our knowledge of the universe. :(

Sophie

I was bowled over by these cards from the first moment I saw them - and I've been happily reading with them for a while now. I knew some of the Hubble images, I had long loved them, and was delighted to find out you had turned them into an oracle. And such an oracle! I like the book, too - filled with scientific information, linked to reflections on how these cosmic phenomena relate to us small humans, and meditations around them - it bridges what seems such a huge gap between the infinitely large macrocosm & our microcosm.

But I've only just started reading for others with them - and in fact, I've started a reading thread in the oracles readings, using the Universe Cards and random passages of poetry. I'm enjoying it immensely. This set is a gift.

euripides

I got my Universe cards a little while ago (in a lovely space-themed bag!) and they are marvellous. I've spent the weekend looking at them, sorted them according to their order in the book, and reading through the book and exercises.

I kind of wish there were a few more cards - I'm used to the hefty full Tarot deck now....

I'm also going to experiment with using them in conjunction with a regular Tarot.

I really like the absence of traditional symbolism - the Jungian and mythological symbolism in Tarot is something I love, but this is very refreshing.

Euri

euripides

Is anybody else using them? I've almost finished reading through the book. They're lovely, I really like them and some of the exercises in the book are great. I'm writing a review of them. I haven't done much actual reading with them yet, shall do that over the next week or two. Interested in hearing other people's perspective.

I do find the deck a bit small in terms of the number of cards, being used to hefty Tarot decks and not keen on majors-only - I think I'm going to experiment with drawing one or two cards, and also using it in conjunction with a standard tarot. I wish I had the Celestial, they'd go nicely together.

cheers
Euri

euripides

I can't believe I've just added a thread asking about Universe card users when I just posted this a week ago. I must be getting senile.

I love some of the exercises. I'm not a 'lie down in a darkened room' kinda person but I love the drawing ones, and a lot of the other ones transpose easily to drawing or writing.

I think they'll connect well with my Rohrig too.

Though maybe I should let them speak to me first, by themselves.

Euri

MeeWah

A wee moderating note for clarity & context purposes

Euripides et al: I have merged the earlier thread also entitled "Universe Cards" to this existing thread. Since merging a thread inserts that thread in chronological sequence, it appears as post #18.

Based on the ATF scans, fascinating imagery & to lend themselves to the intuitive. (& another for the Wish List.)