World Spirit study group Death (13)

Seed Crystal

A fiery bier blazes while mourners wail, meditate or curl into fetal position. Scyled and skull headed death looks at the viewer. The figure on the bier looks dignified and peaceful. Above the bier, a huge phoenix risesinto the night. There is a waxing cresent moon in the sky. The circle of stones in which the bier sits is somewhat evocative of the High Priestess imagry.

Death before re-birth. Change. Transformation. Sorrow serenity and triumph all are here.

I love this rendering.

Sulis

This is my favorite Death card :) It's just so powerful - not got time to discuss this fully now but I'll be posting soon.

Thanks SeedCrystal for getting back on the case.

Love

Sulis xx

Flavio

I loved this card from the first moment I saw it! including a phoenix as the main element of the card seemed so natural for the XIII Trump, reborn and transformation are possible from the ashes... I think this card gives a lot of hope to those persons unable to see more than physical death in this card.

Shade

This is the only version of death that emphasizes the transformation side that I doesn't irritate me. The phoenix is appropriate as it is one of the symbols of Scorpio and I like the way it is incorporated into a living flame.

I spent a lot of time on the grim reaper kneeling. I came to the conclusion that this represents (for myself) that the process of dying while, important, bows to the greater awakening that takes place through loss and change.

For me this card was a perfect marriage between a traditional (or what I would consider traditional take on death) with the newer "emergence" meaning fro the card.

Seed Crystal

Shade said:
... I spent a lot of time on the grim reaper kneeling. I came to the conclusion that this represents (for myself) that the process of dying while, important, bows to the greater awakening that takes place through loss and change.

Nice...

flowergrrl

This card took my breath away when I first saw it. I agree with everyone's sentiments about the Phoenix. I think we all place more emphasis on the process of dying than what happens after. One question: Why is there tipped over cup next to the figure in the fetal position?

mahimaisme

my favourite!

ooooh. my favourite death card!!!
i love how it clearly focuses on the rebirth after death rahter then just the death. its a very powerful, hopefilled card in this deck.
also, the world spirit is one of my favourite working decks and i love its earthy, grounded feel.
i have a spread inspired by this death card which i love and use very often in periods of transition/change.
although.... "very often" is not the same as "very long" because i've only been using the tarot for such a short while! :)
i do love the death card in the tarot of metamorphosis as well but this one is more clear about the birth after the death and the related regenaration.
mahima.

fall_guy

I love this rendition too!

I've only just noticed that none of the mourners (including Death) are looking at the phoenix. They're fixated on their grief and don't see the rebirth side this card offers.
Perhaps it's a message directed at the querent (who might freak out with this card), in that change can be painful but also rewarding.