Madame Endora's (Secret Circle) Study Group: THE SHIELD

Alissa

THE SHIELD: You are Safe from Harm

From the Book: While holding the Shield, your adversaries cannot penetrate your defenses. A thick skin keeps you safe from harm. Emotions are hidden until trust is gained.

This card shows a golden eagle set amongst filigree and contained in a soft pentagonal shaped pattern that resembles a shield. The background is solid black.

It suggests law enforcement to me, at first glance, as the Shield looks much like a badge to my eyes. And, law enforcement may be a subtext to this card. However, when reading, this card has often presented itself much differently.

One reading in particular that the Shield came up was memorable simply because I was turning the cards over as I read, and as I turned the Shield - WHAMO~! It was like the old tv show (someone help me) where the shield comes right at you in the center of the screen.

And the sound in my head was the sound of the triangle thing from tv's A Current Affair when it comes at you in the show. (Weird clairaudient thing). It hit me between the eyes, locked me out was the feeling.

In this case, it definitely showed my querent was shielding herself from emotional interaction with others, and the eagle was defensive in his stand. His ornamental tongue suggested barbs, sharp words to keep herself "safe" inside.

She understood and confirmed the message. It was her "We'll just be friends," response she had been using in the relationship in question, which was a... well, dysfunctional approach in her situation.

The Shield in itself does not denote whether the Safety the querent seeks is for positive or negative reasons... it simply exists to keep the querent feeling secure. The ways which the Shield may manifest for a querent may be from outside sources of help, spiritual guidance, or emotional control, as surely as it can be from hiding from others, and acting generally misanthropic in order to preserve one's sense of safety.

WolfyJames

You've said it all. ;)

Deidrui

The Shield

One must ask themselves this:
What harm?
From whom?
Which direction is this harm coming?

Reversed:
One needs to start sheilding themselves.

Chronata

This card has come up a lot recently in daily endora card readings for myself...and for people at parties.

I love Alissa'a connection with law enforcement...and the badge that officers use...as well as the eagle symbolising a judge, lawyer or a court official.

So this has sort of become my Law and Order card!

I also think about what deidrui says about the reverse...sheilding yourself.

so in most cases this is a positive card about protection...
and in some cases it can represent a warning...
not to break the law (including universal laws)or suffer consequences...

or not to be too open in accepting other's emotions or feelings...shield, and ground and block out negative energies.

I think this card makes me understand the Justice card in the tarot...more than any tarot deck does! :)