Iran and cards?

Nevada

prudence said:
I think this means "the Goddess is alive and Magick is afoot!!!"
blessed be
astrid
Prudence, I like that, makes me feel better about the whole world. Thanks. :)

Nevada

catlin

Among my querents I have some ladies from Iran and they all love card readings, especially with the Goddess tarot or the Nissanka.

I also have querents from Maroc, Turkey (no fundies, mostly Chrístians or Alevits) and Algeria. A very good friend of mine was from Algeria and she never objected me doing card readings or the Craft but we once had a row when she found a copy of the Koran in my book shelf. She told me that it was forbidden for Non-Muslims to read it, because Non-Muslims are "impure".

Citrin

What a wonderful picture. :)

That is fascinating indeed, I need to ask some of my Asian friends (Pakistan, Afghanistan...) if they've found it's popular in their countries too. For some reason I can really imagine Persian women liking tarot/fortune telling, since it's such a 'mysterious' and entertaining situation. And despite popular belief, most Persians I've met are very curious and open minded people.:)

Sian100

catlin said:
A very good friend of mine was from Algeria and she never objected me doing card readings or the Craft but we once had a row when she found a copy of the Koran in my book shelf. She told me that it was forbidden for Non-Muslims to read it, because Non-Muslims are "impure".

That's rubbish! My husband's Algerian and is a practising Muslim. I'm not a Muslim myself, and he's always going on that I should read the Koran (he hasn't read it himself btw :rolleyes: ).

I'll ask him later about non Muslims reading the Koran just to check, but I'm sure that's nonsense. I've read some of the Koran (certainly more than him anyway ;) ), and no Muslim I've met has ever told me that it's wrong. Sure, Muslim men are permitted to marry Jewish and Christian women even. Maybe it's different for non-Jewish or Christian people though? I'm agnostic myself, but I get away with it as I was born in a "Christian" country.

Incidently, he has no problem with me reading tarot cards. I've only ever had problems with some Christian friends with that one.

vision777

thats a cool picture. i knew it was the morgan greer deck the moment i look at it because i own one. i never knew "muslim" people read cards because one of my friends are muslim and he is always saying negative things towards card readers, zodiac signs . i guess with all those problems over there it would help to know something about the future. i heard that the fbi and cia also have card readers and they said hitler also had tarot cards readers around him. you would be very surprise to know how many people really be reading cards. even certain people who say they don't read them trust me those be the very ones that be reading them.

Citrin

catlin said:
She told me that it was forbidden for Non-Muslims to read it, because Non-Muslims are "impure".

I must agree with Sian100, that is surprising. In high school I had two muslim friends and they always said I should read the quran if I had any questions, and not just rely on muslims' interpretations.

catlin

Citrin said:
I must agree with Sian100, that is surprising. In high school I had two muslim friends and they always said I should read the quran if I had any questions, and not just rely on muslims' interpretations.

I was also very surprised when that friend of mine told me so since you can get a copy of the Koran in practically every German book store. I tried to find out if there are some other Muslims thinking in the same way but I don't know that many Muslims. The ladies from Iran I know are glad that I am interested in their religion and Alevite Turks have a different opinion about Muslims.

Umbrae

Fyi

The Farschian Fortune-Telling Cards, Hafez Fortune-Telling Cards, Fall Nameh-e-Hafez, and the Hafez Erotic Fortunetelling cards, are all from Iran.

Great stuff - especially if one reads Farsi.

Sakura Murasaki

Tarot really does go around the world. :)