Iran and cards?

ravenest

Persians love this sort of stuff (in my experience) regardless of their religion. They will line up for a reading (unless of course they are extremists or fundamentalists - then, like all other extremists, they only approve of their specific books and interpretations). Their culture is full of many folk traditions that in many cases is tolerated by their religion ( I like the one about placing an egg under each tyre of a new car).

Purrceyz

I'm also surprised about the comment of nonMuslims not being able to own a Koran..I bought mine (Arabic with English translation) in an Islamic bookstore here in Toronto. The clerk was thrilled I bought it.

I've found Persian culture fascinating...my husband and I occasionally go a section of town with Iranian stores...I find their culture fascinating especially many of their holidays and customs around the holidays which are much older than Islam.

Their films are also very interesting and very different than Hollywood, my favourite is called "Color of Paradise", it was nominated for a foreign film Oscar in 2000.

LixiPixi

All this mature, political and religious conversation and I can't help but wonder if that's an LWB in her hand she's reading?? :D

sweet_intuition

LixiPixi said:
All this mature, political and religious conversation and I can't help but wonder if that's an LWB in her hand she's reading?? :D

You read my mind...lol

kwaw

full deck said:
I read in the NY Times today that "fortune telling" was becoming more popular in Iran. Oddly enough, the accompanying picture was a woman doing a card spread with a regular deck of playing cards:

http://graphics10.nytimes.com/images/2005/02/20/international/20iran.large1.jpg

Interesting, no?

In Turkey card reading [most commonly with ordinary playing cards] is very popular and widespread, as is coffee ground reading. Generally readers are 'witches' who also deal in spells and such like, and a reading with such often will conclude with offers of spells to deal with 'bad fortune' or spell someone has supposedly put on you [and going to these people to put spells on people is in fact widespread, and the remedy usually involves the use of urine, talk about taking the piss;)]. In depth readings to determine one's 'fal' [fate, fortune] can take over three days and a common method uses mercury [liquid mercury is dropped into a bowl of water at your feet, stomach and head and a reading made according to the shape it forms].

Kwaw