Collecting decks by non-readers - is it OK ?

Kiama

The opinion expressed by mikeymikeymike is one that assumes that the only way one can use Tarot is by reading with the decks. It is also, in my opinion, false to assume this. Therefore, just because one doesn't read with one's entire collection, doesn't mean one doesn't use it, or get something out of each deck - even if that was just a couple of looks at it.

The thread below, 'Balancing Your Decks', covers this quite well and would be worth a read:

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=41893

Blessings,

Kiama

truelighth

HearthCricket said:
Also, if someone got ahold of a deck I was craving to read, and they just wanted it for collecting, I would not mind. That is life-it is fair game, as far as I am concerned. Maybe there is a reason that deck is trying to avoid me and be with you!

It is funny you mention this. I have had several decks that I bought (being a really avid collector myself) that sooner or later moved on to someone else. And I am not just talking about those decks you get because you think you will like them and then you just don't or can't connect with them. I am actually talking about decks I really like/love and cherish. I see a second copy of the deck, decide to pick it up and it stays at my house for a while. But somehow I can never find a proper place for it or I feel it that extra copy is just too much to have. And low and behold, a few months later someone is looking for exactly that deck and they move on. I guess I am almost like the 'guesthouse' for the decks.

As for the collecting. I think collecting tarots is just fine, even if you don't read yourself. Of course, I am biased, since I have a huge collection too. I also am a reader, but I don't do it that often and I only use the Rider Waite. However, I do believe we can learn from tarot and tarot art even if we don't read. There is so much to admire, learn, discover etc. etc.

Umbrae

Hmmmm – I’ve never seen a philatelist use part of their collection to send a post-card…A numismatist rarely uses their collection to buy a post-card.
A brandophilist may enjoy a portion of theirs (perhaps unknowing using a rare highly prized specimen belonging to a pillumenist) to collect the prize, and I will admit – a helixophile may just have to try one out now and again, especially while standing under a vexillologist’s display, while admiring a prize example provided by a plangonologist.
A collection is a collection…

and can you imagine a succrologist, doing a reading? Hmmm guess that's been posted about...

:smoker:

gregory

Umbrae said:
-and can you imagine a succrologist, doing a reading? Hmmm guess that's been posted about...
Ahem. Not that I have ever read with them, but see the what else do you collect thread.....
Blush.

PS did you enjoy reading the dictionary ?????

Emeraldgirl

I have decks that I own that I don't read with but I will not part with and I find nothing wrong with that. I like to look at the pictures and a few of them are Majors only decks that I prefer not to read with simply cause I also like the minors and court cards in a spread. I don't find anything wrong with people collecting decks that thy don't use to read after all you wouldn't expect a stamp collector to use every stamp in the book if it's a limited edition stamp book they would probably just add it straight to the collection.

NightWing

A Sh**ty Idea!

I'm flumoxed by the idea that I should use all of my tarot card collection! While I do use many of my decks, some much more than others, I no more feel obligated to do so than to use each item in my Chamber Pot collection! })

calligirl

This thread is somewhat irritating when I think about it. Someone thinks it's wrong to buy Tarot decks to add to a collection unless they READ with it? Give me a break...

I'll tell you what's WRONG, buying up Happy Meals at McDonalds for the toys and THROWING AWAY THE FOOD! Now, that's criminal...

gregory

Well - sorry to irritate - I started this thread because I wanted to know if I should abandon this forum if everyone felt the same way one person apparently did !!!! I gather I can stay ! Thanks !

But what's criminal is buying Happy Meals at McDonalds anyway..... Buy the toys and something worth eating that hasn't got scary meat from bits of the cow no-one has ever heard of in. (Now I will REALLY be irritating someone !) })

Sophie

Good Lord, Gregory - I wouldn't set foot in the Evil Empire at all!!! })

I buy my tarot strictly free-range and without any Amazonians having to be moved.

Free Flight

Hi Gregory

there is nothing wrong with collecting and not reading. I have no problem with this and I hope you continue to stay at ATF :) You are more than welcome

x FF