the fortune teller's deck

MareSaturni

I've just received it...i thought it would take longer, but Amazon surprised me! Anyway...the cards and the book are amazing (see here)! However, i feel kinda confused...i've started learning to read normal Playing Cards using the Hedgewytchery that is...kinda different. So now i don't to which one i stick :p

Any ideas?
And for those who own/know the deck...what do you think of Lyle's method? Does it work for you?

~Marina

Cerulean

Here's another review...

http://www.guntheranderson.com/cards/feb97/lyle.htm

Beautiful set. If you ever decide to collect playing cards, these are definitely charming. My playing cards went to relatives who enjoy them.

I find it odd, but cards with the French pips (hearts, spades, clubs and diamonds) do not seem to be a first 'reading' choice for me...I like Italian suits or 52 card decks such as Sibillas that have different pictures on them. I liked the ideas in the book...but the French suits weren't my style.

Cerulean

Seed Crystal

Interesting - I used cartomancy for many years - I had differing insights in some respects that HedgeWytch's. (Neither Red nor Black is fated bad, Though certain numbers are most oft sad...) I might post more on this later (if you are interested) but wanted to join this thread before I log off...

MareSaturni

Seed Crystal said:
Interesting - I used cartomancy for many years - I had differing insights in some respects that HedgeWytch's. (Neither Red nor Black is fated bad, Though certain numbers are most oft sad...) I might post more on this later (if you are interested) but wanted to join this thread before I log off...

Of course i'm interested in your experience!
I used Hedgewytchery as a 'basis', to get the meanings of the cards better. But when i started reading Lyle's book...well, the cards follow none of those 'logical'...i feel the same numbers, with different pips, have no connection. And i don't find cards related to health (like in Hedgewytchery the five is related to the body, thus health things), for example...cards to practical things.

I'd love to see your method! I like Lyle's book, but i must say i'm having trouble at remebering all the meanings...

~Marina

Seed Crystal

Cartomancy

I feel very strongly that personal associations which work for you should be your guide. I would be very interested to hear of your experiences and insights. I would also be very interested in any comments you might have on my system or notes.

Some notes on my cartomancy system:

If Tarot is a royal road, 52 players decks are a less clearly marked
highway or path of divination. Throughout a reading, it is
important to be open to questioning and testing interpretations.
Every card is the Light and Shadow, and reversals are ambiguous.
The very nice thing about practicing cartomancy is it DEMANDS
you exercise intuition, and practically insists on shifting
perspective before clarity emerges. Remarkable specificity can
develop in dialogue between a reader and the cards, or a reader
querent and the cards.

Aces and court cards especially, but any suit OR number
strongly represented, can also represent a Major influence.
So multiple 5s, or an overwhelming preponderance of Diamonds,
would affect reading all other cards which are drawn.

For me associations of suits and numbers are as follows:

Suits:
Spades east/thought, sometimes betrayal, decision, or
fear;
Clubs south/passion or work, sometimes commitment,
faith;
Hearts west/emotions especially love and sensuality,
trust, relationships;
Diamonds north/earth, material, the body, wealth, success,
hope.

Numerology:
Aces - Alpha/Omega, NOUN, the essential essence, the abstract, and
all manifestations, the beginning, instigator, the One that contains
All, summation. In reading a card deck, Aces also serve as part of
Major influences.
Two - Action, noun-VERB, polarity.
Three - Relationship, noun -verb-SUBJECT, work in progress, project.
Four - Actualization, physical manifestation, perfect in simple
form, harmony between noun and relationships.
Five - Conflict, obstacle, challenge, problem, hubris, action
against relationship.
Six - Family, community, relationship in action.
Seven - Spirituality in the abstract, epiphany, harmonies beyond the
physical, journey.
Eight - Physical and spiritual harmony, spirituality manifest in
body.
Nine - not one of your relationships but all, how you relate, this-
is-your-life/your-path, your mind body spirit, your ancestors and
posterity.
Ten - Completion, death, finish, the 10,000 things, all the details,
summary as it applies to you or a particular situation.
Jacks/11 - the fool, the jack of all trades, the engineer or
mechanic, the hunter, the apprentice, the impulse or momentary
influence. In reading a card deck, Jacks also serve as part of
Major influences.
Queen/12 - the mother, sister, daughter, friend, the teacher, the
judge, relationship and actualization (collaboration). In reading a
card deck, Queens also serve as part of Major influences.
King/13 - the father, brother, son; the emperor, the most extreme
implementation, perhaps the bad luck which appears as good luck (or
good that appears bad), overwhelming awareness. In reading a card
deck, Kings also serve as part of Major influences.

The Joker also can be used. Usually represents the Fool, also can be
divine intervention or Fate.
___
[Do I have to say this? The above notes are my original work and I do not relinquish copyright. So, passers by, do not copy and pass it off as yours, do not profit from it except by your own educational benefit, do not repost it outside of this thread unless you have my formal permission.]

MareSaturni

Seed Crystal said:
I feel very strongly that personal associations which work for you should be your guide. I would be very interested to hear of your experiences and insights. I would also be very interested in any comments you might have on my system or notes.

Some notes on my cartomancy system:

If Tarot is a royal road, 52 players decks are a less clearly marked
highway or path of divination. Throughout a reading, it is
important to be open to questioning and testing interpretations.
Every card is the Light and Shadow, and reversals are ambiguous.
The very nice thing about practicing cartomancy is it DEMANDS
you exercise intuition, and practically insists on shifting
perspective before clarity emerges. Remarkable specificity can
develop in dialogue between a reader and the cards, or a reader
querent and the cards.

Aces and court cards especially, but any suit OR number
strongly represented, can also represent a Major influence.
So multiple 5s, or an overwhelming preponderance of Diamonds,
would affect reading all other cards which are drawn.

I couldn't agree more. I like he cartomancy because the answer depends on all cards - that's why it's impossible to do a reading with one card only. Intuition is so important, even when you choose/create the method. In cartomancy, you always end up adpating the method, in a way or another. My cartomancy 'notebook' is full of extra notes, things i added and even glued notes. Messy, but it's *mine* ;)

I, for instance, have been thinking about using reversed *court* cards. Only court cards. Why? I believe that since they can represent people (not that they always do, but they can), they have a big complexity. But the reversed meanings aren't just the 'opposite' - they are two sides of the same coin. Ie, they can mean a good person in a bad situation (we are not always 'good' - we can be spiteful, cold etc.). I don't get the Kind of Spades only as an evil person...for me, he may represent an ambicious man, with a cold outside, but loyal and honest. And i *know* a man just like this in real life! But, when reversed, then he represents an enemy and ill-disposed person towards the querent.

When i got the Hedgewytchery method, i felt i should add to it for personal use, so i did.
I'll test this method a bit more and, if it works, i'll use it 'officially'. I have marked my court cards with a dot, so i know they reversed and upright sides :)
I'd like to know what you think, or if you'd like to add anything else.

See Crystal said:
The Joker also can be used. Usually represents the Fool, also can be
divine intervention or Fate.

I use the Joker, and i also give him this meaning. Karma, the unexpected...a feeling of chaos and even an unexpected transformation. Like, when something comes, makes your life a mess but in the future you noticed how it helped you to see the world in a different way.

See Crystal said:
[Do I have to say this? The above notes are my original work and I do not relinquish copyright. So, passers by, do not copy and pass it off as yours, do not profit from it except by your own educational benefit, do not repost it outside of this thread unless you have my formal permission.]

Oh, don't worry i won't spread it. I found your method very interesting...i hope you don't mind i use it for personal stody. It's always good to see different takes on the cards!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Good to find someone who is into cartomancy too ;)

~Marina

Seed Crystal

I enjoyed your post and will probably respond more to it later however regarding
miss_yuko said:
... don't worry i won't spread it. I found your method very interesting...i hope you don't mind i use it for personal stody.

I absolutely do not mind for you or anyone reading this to do that. My words in THAT paragraph were actually not so directed at you as by any entreprenurial spirit who wandered by... I just did not want to see anyone else who might run into this post plagerizing or doing worse. :)

miss_yuko said:
It's always good to see different takes on the cards!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Good to find someone who is into cartomancy too ;)

Yes! :D

MareSaturni

Seed Crystal said:
I enjoyed your post and will probably respond more to it later however regarding

I'll be waiting for your answer then :)
It's nice to meet you...you are a nice person!

Love

~Marina

Bernice

The Card Deck:

Just discovered that Sommerviles have the card deck for £8-£9.
Not the set - no book. But many people just like to have the cards.....

Bee

MareSaturni

Bernice said:
Just discovered that Sommerviles have the card deck for £8-£9.
Not the set - no book. But many people just like to have the cards.....

Bee

The cards are beautiful! Definitely worth having, specially for people who like playing cards, like me!

~Marina