Madame Endora's (Secret Circle) Study Group: THE SATYR

September Pixie

THE SATYR : Revelry And Indulgence

To make things easier, I have attached an image of the card.

From The Book:
The satyr is playful, mischievous and prone to overindulgence. He is a symbol of music dance, revelry and celebration. The satyr also represents decadent, lustful, and lewd behavior.

Open For Discussion :)

Attachments

• TheSatyr.jpg
    TheSatyr.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,481

Chronata

I like this card...it usualy comes up with celebrations, when someone has had a party or celebrated something in their life.

but...this card also has it's dark dangerous side.

Lowered inhibitions, and drinking so much you forget things...and sexual encounters that may be regretted...
These have also come up quite a bit in the readings that I do lately for people.
(must be a summer thing)

The good thing...most times it comes up as a future warning, so it can be avoided.

It makes me think of the Greek god Baacus...all that revelry, letting go of all hang-ups and surrending to the moment....usually with dancing and alchohol.

Genna

That was a very important interpretation,Chronata;I see the dark side now.
On the other hand;there are (innocent) celebrations,like you said,and a care-free mind.Like Pan trying to entice the woodland nymphs go dance to his tunes in the forest.Feelings of joy,and a wish for entertainment.
I also think of a trickster,when I see this card.(Always had a soft spot for them).

Deidrui

The Satyr

I have to agree with what everyone is saying but we also notice the vines of gold dancing around him, growing as it were seem. But I also see him sneeking up on something or someone. So, he could or could not be dancing. Depending on where the card is laid in the spread.

And yet he could be getting ready for his next victim to walk in the the deepest dark part of the forest.

Reversed: Could me that it is not time to indulgence in life know. Take time and use logic and if you noitced reversed the vines seem to become tighter as if to say life is chocking you right now.

December Fairy

I see it as a being playful. Having a good time.
On the other side the excess of that.

There is also an "illness" called satyriasis. Abnormally intense sexual desire in men. That's along the lines of what Chronata was also saying. But it's specific to men.

inanna_tarot

'Go on! You know you want to!' is the basic line to his beautiful song. Like snake charmers, the Satyr charms us with his music to do what we really desire. Sometimes that involves getting very drunk and lowing our inhibitions, but I also see it as doing the things that we really want to do.
The vines around him I see as the weeds in a garden, that poison ivy or brambles that want to grow and grow into your house, trip you over etc. There isnt anything 'evil' about his music, he's just giving us and those around him the excuse to do what they really want to do, the weeds we keep pulling up or chopping at that never go away.

So when the Satyr is around we have to be sure that we don't fall over drunk every time (thought that could be fun for a few times hehe). We just need to link into that excitment that is life, that excitement to be and grow and do and really channel that into something positive and constructive. The pipes could mean you dance and really get an emotion out of your system (serious headbanging after a bad day at the office!) and give you the headspace and 'numb' energy to paint, draw, or do something you really arent looking forward to.

You have to give in to the little Devil, otherwise you will explode and do very silly things that you will regret if you keep refusing to play.

Sezo
x

FaerieStorm

I have to say: I love Satyrs and Fauns! They're my favorite mythical creatures. I wish I had two or three to keep me company and play the flute for entertainment!

I like this illustration, but it's not as playful as I expected it to be; the color-scheme is kinda drab. I guess she was going for a bronzy look.

I think of pure enjoyment when I see this card...almost to the point of excess. In today's world there's little room for this kind of enjoyment. I guess the Greeks, Romans, and other Pagan cultures had a good thing goin' that was lost somewhere along the way.

squeakmo9

I'm new to this deck, so with that...

The first thing about the Satyr that caught my attention were his goat legs, that immediately made me think of the astro sign of Capricorn.
Knowing that Saturn is the natural ruler of Capricorn, I thought that there was a warning to become more clear and aware of what your intentions are at the given moment. If there is a troubling issue, it may be a case of needing a reality check, taking responsibility for the circumstances, and moving forward. Saturn is a teacher and taskmaster, so I see this card as calling the querent to sober up, get away from extremes, and live in the now.

Chronata

ooh! Never saw the saturn/capricorn connection before, squeakmo...

But I so get the "timing" feeling from this card now!

Saturn rules inhibitions, limits and patience as well...giving this card yet another layer in the issues of revelries. Very interesting!