Fantastic Menagerie Tarot - a few cards online

Lillie

What an amazing deck.

I havn't looked through all the cards yet, the slide show wouldn't happen (my computer's fault, not your slideshow!)

But the ones I have seen are quite incredible.

Actually, the 5 of coins really upset me. But then I'm soft in the head like that!

Oh well!

It's a lovely thing you have made there.

cynthia padley

the fantastic menagerie tarot

Oh Wow! Those cards are fantastic and beautiful! Love animal cards, love the frogs in it too!

Can''t wait for the set to come out. They are truly beautiful and amazing. Animal cards , I love! :partyhat: = party

cynthia padley

fantastic menagerie

Oh my party hat didn't work!

baba-prague

There are a lot of frogs indeed. I'm afraid some of them are the the Death card (well, it was too good a representation not to use) but others are happily drinking, carousing and going to the theatre!

I bet we get a lot of comments on the Five of Coins. We did think quite hard before using that picture, but again, it seemed perfect for the card. It has, however, definitely made me look at eggs in a different way (yes, I know that ordinary farmed eggs don't actually hatch, but still).

Ah well, a sad and happy and funny deck we hope - it has a lot of life in it. As has Sophie's book, I must say.

Lillie

It's a wonderful image for the 5 coins. But, as you said at the beginning of this thread, sad too, and cruel.

We kept chickens, we let them breed.
I have held a warm egg in my hands, and heard tapping and cheeping from inside, as the chick gets ready to come out.

You can hear them a couple of days before they appear.

So, yes, I do see eggs as being alive (in the right circumstances)
And mother hens are very devoted.

Ah well. Beautiful cards. :)

baba-prague

Yes, my gran used to keep chickens (small bantams) when she and my grandad had a small-holding. I was only about three years old, but I remember it very well. Animals can tell us a lot about our own attitudes and feelings and it's odd how an animal image can sometimes be more affecting than a human one - I'm not sure why that is, except that animals are so direct and so honest. I still wonder how this deck will read, I think it might be surprising.

Lillie

Chickens are lovely, arn't they?

They are individuals. Like people.

Chicken people.

From what I have seen, this deck should read well. The images 'speak'. Very clearly!
Perhaps, as you say it is the directness of animals, and our reaction to them.

We can love a dog (for instance) with an absolute unqualified love. Love it for just existing as a dog.
But with a person, that love would always be dependant on who they were, how they behaved, what they said... and so on.
With animals the message of the cards will speak much more directly to our hearts, without being distorted and encumbered by all the ambivalence we feel toward other humans. Or so I would imagine.
Animals seem to be direct representations of archetypes, which would suit a tarot deck...

Anyhow, thanks for showing them. They are something quite special.