John William Waterhouse Deck

VoodooGyal

DB, I'm happy with your choices as long as you don't have the Lady of Sharot eliminated, I didn't think of 10 of swords so it is a fitting choice.. I just wanted one of my favourite artwork to be included! I just didn't see it mentioned in the previous post and worried you won't be thinking of it LOL :p :p :D My worries for nothing ;)

Dancing Bear

How could i Forget The Lady of Shallot :)
It is one of his most moving Paintings, I absolutely adore it myself.
I really do appreciate your input because as I said it really made me delve deep into the meanings of the cards and the Paintings. It was a really good thing, because from there it flowed beautifully.. At times i would see a painting and think oooh i like that one I wonder where it belongs. I would open the Tarot Book and on that page would be the Paintings, Card it belonged to. A bit freaky sometimes. I just went with the flow.

I am Sad though I am having a really difficult time Placing Pandora.
Any sugeestions??? I have got her as the King of Swords.
Majority of the Paintings are matched to the cards because of the meanings behind the Painting.

What would you suggest??

Owlface

Pleased to be of help. This is a lovely project. May i say i think you're completely right to not have borders. Sometimes borders are great, of course, but with JWW I think they would detract from these very sumptuous images.

Looking forward to seeing more-the Estate allowing.

Dancing Bear

Yes I am finding it hard to obtain permission being bumped from pillar to post. I now have another two letters to write.
I may have to pay for each and every painting i use, Which could be rather expensive. I am going to see how much for one painting so i may be able to show at least one. :) We will see in the next couple of weeks how it all pans out.

Yes I thought originally a thin black border, but now I really like the idea of NO border..

Thanks Roseyelf

Tk2dsky

Pandora=3 of swords

In my Oracle tarot the 3 of swords shows a woman opening a chest. Inside the chest are three swords, and she has anguish on her face. The keywords are unexpected revelation. When I saw Pandora, it immediately reminded me of this card. When she opens up the box, a whole lot of pain is released. However, hope remains.
B*B
Ericka

Dancing Bear

Thankyou for the info on Pandora. I have chosen fair rosamond ( does not mean it is a set decision though) She is the kings lover and has no hope of ever being with him as his wife. ( he already has one) but still hangs on in hope anyway being truly in love..
Your Explantion for 3 swords and why to use it sound pretty good too.. I will look into the stories behind both.
Your feedback is really apreciated, I need it to make constructive and lasting decisions. because once i have made the set it will be hard to change later.. So i need all the input i can get. so i make the right decisions.
Thankyou sooooo much :)

DB xx

Dancing Bear

I have edited the list to show the changes in images matched to cards.

I am stuck with Chariot!!
Any Suggestions ?????????

DB XXX

Owlface

Chariot ?

I can't find any paintings of his with an actual chariot in them-he seemed to prefer catching a moment in time, and I love him for that-but what about the image MIRANDA AND THE TEMPEST ? I think this matches the meaning of the card rather well : energy, tempestuousness even, and the need to keep it in check. Not that you can control a real storm, naturally, but. . . Just a thought.

I could get really into this-seeing how certain paintings can match up with Tarot meanings. :)

fina

I found this old thread and wanted to ask DancingBear how it is coming along. I actually started doing this for my own use, but decided to wait until I got to know tarot a bit better. This is what I had worked out, tentatively:

The Fool – Miranda and the Tempest
The Magician – The Charmer
The High Priestess – Circe Offering the Cup to Ulysses
The Empress – Cleopatra
The Emperor – Nero
The High Priest – Consulting the Oracle
The Lovers – Tristan and Iodole Sharing the Potion
The Chariot – The Lady of Shallot (in boat)
Strength – Saint Joan
The Hermit – The Lady of Shallot (looking at Lancelot)
The Wheel – A Song of Springtime
Justice – Lamia
The Hanged Man – St. Eulalia
Death – Sleep and His Half-Brother Death
Temperance – Study of Lady Clare
The Devil – Pandora (all the vices of the world)
The Tower – Fair Rosamond
The Star – Flora and the Zephyrs
The Moon – The Magic Circle
The Sun – Gathering Almond Blossoms
Judgment – A Sick Child
The World – Psyche Entering the Garden

Ace of Wands – The Household Gods
Ace of Cups – Awakening of Adonis
Ace of Swords – The Sorceress
Ace of Pentacles – Destiny
Two of Wands – Mariana in the South
Two of Cups – Lamia (on her knees)
Two of Swords – Penelope and the Suitors
Two of Pentacles – Apollo and Daphne
Three of Wands – Narcissus
Three of Cups – Hylas and the Nymphs
Three of Swords – Echo and Narcissus
Three of Pentacles – A Grecian Flower Market
Four of Swords – Sweet Summer
Four of Cups – Ariadne
Four of Swords – Listen To My Sweet Pipings
Four of Pentacles – Gather Ye Rosebuds Study
Five of Cups – Thisbe (wall keeps them apart, but allows them to speak)
Five of Swords – Nymphs Finding the Head of Orpheus
Five of Pentacles – A Female Study (lost physical [colour] but spirit still there [pencil])
Six of Wands – Jason and Medea
Six of Cups – Naiad
Six of Swords – Maidens Picking Flowers By the Stream Study
Six of Pentacles – In the Peristyle
Seven of Wands – Ulysses and the Sirens
Seven of Cups – Miss Betty Pollock
Seven of Swords – A Hamadryad
Seven of Pentacles – At Capri
Eight of Wands – The Magic Circle
Eight of Cups – The Lady Clare
Eight of Swords – Miranmne Leaving the Judgment Seat of Harod
Eight of Pentacles – Beatrice and Dante
Nine of Wands – I Am Half-Sick of Shadows
Nine of Cups – After the Dance
Nine of Swords – Danaides
Nine of Pentacles – My Sweet Rose
Ten of Wands – Ms. Margret Henderson
Ten of Cups – La Fileuse
Ten of Swords – The Siren
Ten of Pentacles – A Mermaid
The Prince – La Belle Dam Sans Merci
The Princess – Spring
The Queen – The Crystal Ball
The King – Circe Invidiosa

Just my thoughts...

AJ

There is an ebay seller who makes coffee tables and wooden decks with Waterhouse images on them. They are very expensive. He advertises them as rare but they aren't, he keeps selling them over and over as he makes them.