Curiouser and cuiriouser

dadsnook2000

Old subject, again

In my 35+ years in astrology, this whole subject is beginning to sound really, really "old" and "tiresome." I don't really care who and how anyone practices their form of "astrology" just so long as they respect the terms, facts, and practices that have been in place for awhile. If they have something different and new then I would like them to correctly label it as such.

Now, for this site you mentioned. First, the site is mis-identifying thirteen CONSTELLATIONS as signs. Constellations are star patterns, some are quite small as measured relative to their distance/arc along the zodiac circle, others are quite large when measured in that way.

Second, lets discuss SIGNS. In most astrological systems, signs are equal segments as measured along the zodiac. These signs have a logical and evolving order in terms of one supporting and leading into the next. As a whole set of sign/segments, they have a logical and circular meaning that can be construed as a "system of understanding." The web-site that was mentioned made statements that some signs were short, some quite relatively long in arc. This doesn't lend itself to a cyclic system very easily. What is needed is for someone with a rational mind and a knowledge of both astronomy and astrology to attempt a better effort at defining this "system" which has a mix-and-match feeling about it.

Third, no body has yet seemed to define the inter-relationships between these new or newly-used constellations (which have been there for many eons of time), the new order and system of signs, how the signs may relate to rulerships, how the use of "house" systems may or may not be altered, how aspects such as "squares" will relate to any signs which may or may not be square to each other in this new system (13 doesn't divide by 4 very well, does it). Of course there is the question of whether the new 13-sign astrology will want to use mid-points or sabian symbols or other methodologies that directly or indirectly related to a 12-base system. Finally, there needs to be explanations of sign meanings and actual deliniations published to show how the new astrology works so that we can compare it to the old.

Up to now, to be frank and brutal about it, all I've heard is talk and high-level ambiguities with no substance and no examples. For me, there is a long way to go for the promoters of this "stuff" before they have a comprehensive case for their beliefs and hopes that others can objectively look at and try out. Until then, I wouldn't waste much time with this. Just my opinion. Dave

raheli

Dave that is an incredible post.
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

As someone who's interest in astrology is only passing in and mainly in relation to tarot (possibly because i'll never find out what time i was born), to come across this website was confusing to say the least.

I really appreciate you articulating what was wrong with the given changes and sharing your thoughts with me.

i thought to post it here only to gain insight on whether it was just piffle or a movement i should be aware of in my tarot.

*Hearts & Stars*
r.

ravenest

raheli said:
I'm interested to know what poeple who have more experience with astrology think of the moving of the goal posts.

Fascinated to hear you feedback!
rgds

R.

Hi raheli. You might find some interesting info in the thread on Opheichus in this section (probably on previous page)

raheli

Hi Ravenest - thanks I will check it out!

ZenMusic

FIrst off, I use sidereal alignments, having learned Jyotish (Vedic) astrology originally... so precession is not an issue for me...

2nd ... the fact that there is 13 (or we could redefine 14 or 15 or 7) constellations actually has nothing to do with the division of the ecliptic into 12 equal segments .. it could have been 24 ... which would give finer resolution, but would be twice as complex to master , could be 48 or 90 , but infinitely more complex.. but also more precise

the information/markers/energies that are the fundamental forces (or data depending on how you see it) of astrology .. doesn't come from the particular constellations... the constellation are simply convinient markers to delineate the sector .. the definition of each constellation could have been totally different adding or removing stars etc..

houses could be redrawn as well

this is all stuff that has been considered over the history of astrology.. and as you gain experience you will realize that the basics are only a starting point.. had to draw a line somewhere

raheli

Zen music - thank you I had no idea it could be this complex.

Sian100

This is really interesting stuff about which I had no idea. Thanks for posting those links!

I know I'm a Leo! I don't want to be redefined as a boring old Cancer! ;)

calligirl

Ur, nope, don't think so.

You can't go changing the heavens to suit your purpose just because somebody had a better idea and wants to move the road over 10 feet.

I've studied astrology on and off for 15 years. There are basic traits to every individual based on more than the sun sign and those traits are not going to be suddenly deamed inaccurate because somebody decided they wanted to tweak the system and move the galaxy around.

I pass.