Tarot of a Moon Garden - Page of Swords

geministar

I have a lot of trouble with the court cards and since I happened to draw this card earlier in the week I thought it would be a good one to study next so if anyone can tell me anything about this card I think it would be really helpful.

In this card, the page stands in the garden, the dragon can be seen about the page's feet. Strong white clouds in the background with the castle just able to be seen above the clouds. His sword is drawn ready to meet his enemy. The only thing is, the point of the sword is facing in the opposite direction. A dragonfly makes part of the handle of the sword. Dragonfly's are on each of the sword cards. - I dont quite get that symbolism yet of the dragonfly-

Can anyone help me out with this card or the page of swords in general please? :)

Myrrha

Hi Geministar

I have this deck coming soon in the mail, can't wait! I've admired it for a long time but it doesn't look an easy deck so I held off for a while.

Generally, when something is used as a decoration, like a dragonfly on every sword, it strikes me as having a more general meaning. Dragonflies are so light and mobile they could just be a light-hearted symbol of air and quick-thinking sword type qualities.

Somewhere I read that in spiritual terms dragonflies symbolize seeing through illusion to what is real. For me this relates quite well to the Swords suit as it is partly about perceptions and how you see things.

The Page of Swords often seems to be a somewhat suspicious character, or at least alert. Gaurded and not always seeing the best in people, more cautious, especially about other people's motives.

That is really interesting about the point of the other sword going in an unexpected direction. I'm not sure what to make of that.

The castle almost obscured by clouds-- perhaps the young Page has (temporarily of course :)) lost his vision of what is important? Perhaps that is why he appears to be in some kind of conflict but it isn't really clear who he is duelling with?

Edited to add:
Negative self-talk? That would fit with the sword he is striking out at not looking like another person's. So when the clouds come up and obscure the castle, be alert to what you are saying to yourself inside your head and be sure it is something positive. Could also refer to letting too many ideas from your head confuse and conflict with what is in your heart.

just some thoughts!
--Myrrha

geministar

I like your thoughts on this card Myrrha. I cant wait for you to get the deck too! :)

What you said about the dragonflies being light and quick thinking fits the description of the swords suit.

Still stuck on the swords though. Its unusual because you would expect both the points of the 2 swords to be facing each other.

Geministar

Starshower

Could he be 'missing the point' because he is still young & inexperienced?
(Or still trying to see the point?)
In many decks the point of the sword is missing on this card...

Myrrha

In martial arts there are techniques for taking your opponent's sword away from them. Some of them involve capturing the hilt or base of theirs and flicking it toward you. This could be what the page is doing or practicing here. It is a more skillful and subtle way to fight than just clashing away at them.

There is also a saying "My enemy's sword is my sword". This refers more to studying your opponent's game, knowing their strategy so well that you know what to expect from them and can react accordingly. Their own strategy and skill becomes something you use against them.

So the Page of Swords' skill set includes observing other people, being aware of what they might do, being wary and alert, possibly using other people's own words or strategies against them in a conflict. He doesn't behave as directly as the Knight of Swords or as authoritatively as the King of Swords. he is quite subtle.

It can mean a specific person with these skills and qualities of mind but for me it more often means that these are the skills and methods that will help in the situation.