Color Your Own

Gregorio

I have always wanted to create my own personal tarot deck but since I have no talent at drawing there was no way for me to do so. When I noticed the Color Your Own Tarot deck in the bookstore I bought it on the spur of the moment and decided to give it a try. I had previously thought about coloring the BOTA deck or ordering the MY TAROT deck but when there was a deck to color right there in front of me on the store shelf I took the plunge. My initial reaction to the deck on opening it was that the artwork was not very detailed. I was pleased that the deck followed the Rider-Waite-Smith symbols and I liked the way the characters looked but I had doubts as to how the cards might look when they were finished. I also immediately noticed that the colored pencils that came with the deck were inadequate (only 6 colors are included) so I ended up having to buy some quality colored pencils (I ended up with 175 different colors). Anyway, I started work on the deck, averaging one card a day, and now the deck is finished and it is beautiful. The artwork that appears so simple in the black and white line drawings comes to life quite vividly when the card is completed. I'm amazed at how much I love this deck.
I've read and collected tarot cards for many years but this experience of coloring my own deck truly has helped me know the tarot in a different and more complete way. I would really recommend this project to anyone who loves the Tarot and would like a unique deck. Don't let the simple looking drawings (by artist Echo Chernik) fool you. When the cards are colored in the deck looks quite amazing and there is more detail on the cards than first meets the eye. I was wondering if anyone else has colored this deck and what your thoughts on it were. Do you love it as much as I do? Thanks

shadowdancer

I did try this recently with the colour your own Casselli deck but was so disappointed in the fact I could not bring it life in the way I had seen it in my head. Like you I bought a lot of pencils, different finishes etc but so far the cards look palid and lacklustre. Some of the work on the card is so small it is difficult to be correct with detail.

I had to remind myself that the artists probably draw / colour on something 4 times that size.

I am pleased you have had success though. I will probably plug away but I feel my expectations were high and my efforts did not match them

Gregorio

I appreciate the above response. I had so much fun coloring my first deck that I have been seriously considering the MY TAROT Caseli deck. On looking at the images I got the feeling that it might be hard to pull off accurately because there is SO MUCH tiny detail. I had a hard time with the small details on the Chernik deck and it is no where NEAR as detailed as the deck you are working on. I wish you lots of luck and don't give up! There were some days when I was working on my deck when I thought I would never get finished (the devil card took SIX hours). I know what you mean about the cards not living up to your expectations but I bet you will find as you continue your project that some of the cards surpass what you envisioned. You might also consider the Chernik deck. Believe me, I have NO talent for drawing or visual arts in general, but I still ended up with a very pretty deck.
Best wishes and keep us informed how the project goes.

ladyealatheshy

currently coloring...

Hi. I got the Color Your Own Tarot for myself for my birthday and am glad I did. I didnt care for any of the other decks that the store I was in was carrying, or I already owned them, so I was delighted to find this one. And today, I bought a large set of gel pens, and have spent a good portion of the day adding to the cards, in addition to the colored pencils I have already used. The Empress is a glittering shade of emerald now, the Sun actually metallic gold instead of just yellow, the Court Cards are coming along nicely. I recommend this deck highly. I want to buy a second copy of it to try all different colors, or to have another version of certain cards. I like the black and white decks, and hope to add those to my collection as well in time. --Eala

Debra

I just got the BOTA myself and am saving it until I see a long clear stretch of time to work on the coloring.

I've been doing a lot of mandala coloring book coloring with pencils. Very soothing and meditative, so I'm really looking forward to starting on the BOTA deck!

I'd love to see some scans of the "colored in" decks you all have done!

Llynn

Thank you - you have all given me the courage to start to colour in my copy of Color Your Own Tarot. I bought it early in the year and love the clear lines on the cards but was afraid to ruin it. I did think about photocopying a card and doing a trial run, but now I see that you just have to do it! (Pip cards here I come.)
Ladyealatheshy - I like your idea of using (metallic) gel pens on special areas of the cards.
Gregorio - I see what you mean about the six pencils not being enough; I'll have to ask to borrow from my daughter's collection!
Once again, thanks.

Hemera

these look wonderfully inspiring! I hope Santa will bring me these ;)
I´m really glad to know that gel pens work well with these. (thank you ladyealatheshy) I can imagine how lovely the Empress must look with the glittering emerald of a gel pen..

chrisam-crystals

i've just been very naughty.......i've bought the My Tarot pack! lol

i don't fancy the imagery in the Colour Your Own, but the My Tarot jumped out at me....so i bought it! :D

just have to buy some new watercolour pencils now....lol

jue xx