9 of Pentacles

caridwen

I couldn't find a thread for this card so I thought I'd start one.

I was just wondering what others thought of this card as I see it as a Fey either about to get a prize and waiting to go on stage or a Fey at a party and being approached by someone she admires.

I'm not entirely sure why she has a parrot on her head but the surroundings suggest opulence. Her hair looks expensively cut as do her clothes and she is wearing gold jewelery. She leans forward as though she is greatly anticipating whoever is approaching. Her hands are clenched as though she is nervous or excited.

The huge medallion behind her reminds me again of some kind of award and also, of course, her wealthy status. There are six grapes in the cluster (I assume they're grapes) with the stalk similar to the one the Seer wears on her neck but hers is blue and the Nine's is green.

I assume her parrot has something to do with taming a part of herslf but am not sure of Fey symbolism.

I would be interested to here other's thoughts on this:)

dadsnook2000

Hidden messages in this nine

This card is very much a "simplistic" design. These are often the hardest cards to understand. In the Waite-Smith Tarot, the lady in that Nine of Pentacles stands richly dressed in a walled in garden, a bird of prey on her wrist, enjoying the beauty of the garden and her estate. Many meanings are obvious.

In this Fey card we have to do so much second and third level deductive work. Simplicity. The book gives us a few clues. The throne suggests a special family. It doesn't seem to be hers, as such, yet she feels comfortable sitting there. The book indicates a "lineage" issue. The throne symbolizes what she has been part of or close to in the past and which is still present for her -- comfort and position.

Did you note the two rings around her waist? I don't think this is to reduce the waist and enhance the bust line -- it would seem to represent a form of self-control, of discipline by not being over-indulgent, a worthy attribute of those with careful upbringing and an observation that is in-line with the throne and her lineage.

Birds are social creatures. The brightly colored ones are prized as pet and as mates. Sitting above her, this suggests to me an aura of social grace and of acceptance, a place in the world, an ability to attract and influence others.

Each of the Pentacle Cards has its own design motif. The grape cluster has six grapes with three sides of three grapes -- nine in terms of the sides, six in terms of the count. The link to the "six" card suggests that this position (the nine) is related to being able to share with others, another attribute linked to the wealthy but more often practiced by the poor among the poor. Grapes are a rich symbol in themselves -- fertility on one hand, sacrifice on the other hand (ref. J.E.Cirlot, A Dictionary of Symbols). Not every year brings a harvest, and some harvests are better than others. So there is a connection here with nature, with hard work, with reward, with enjoyment and abundance.

Why would one be sitting in a seat of honor before a symbol of fertility and abundance, well dressed, poised and expectant? This is perhaps the key to the card's meaning. She is upon the brink of social recognition, perhaps marriage, but certainly to be "confirmed" in some way, to be placed within a comfort zone. In this sense, this card is much like the Waite-Smith card except that there "comfort" is an established circumstance. Here, in the Fey Tarot, this Nine of Pentacles is achieving, is advancing, is being honored and enriched within moments, within a short time. There is movement here from one condition to another, her trip/growth is not yet complete but she is most clearly getting there, progressing and acquiring. She is on the verge of this. Perhaps a different sense of what the nine's are about, certainly a more dynamic sense and condition then static comfort.

In a reading:
PAST CARD POSITION: The querent was on the brink of recognition and reward for hard work and efforts. Did that happen?
PRESENT CARD POSITION: The querent has positioned her/him-self for what is due them and needs to exercise patience.
FUTURE CARD POSITION: The querent has an opportunity to be recognized, to be able to earn recognition. One must find the path, then make the effort.
CHALLENGE CARD POSITION: The querent has to make a greater effort than others to be positioned and then enabled to demonstrate character and achievement. There may be competition or a selection process in place.

This is my take on this quiet card. Dave

caridwen

dadsnook2000 said:
The throne suggests a special family. It doesn't seem to be hers, as such, yet she feels comfortable sitting there. The book indicates a "lineage" issue. The throne symbolizes what she has been part of or close to in the past and which is still present for her -- comfort and position.

Yes the chair has a crown but is dissimilar to the crown on the Emperor's chair for example and there dont' seem to be any other members of her 'family' in the rest of the deck.

She does look like a lady of high breeding from the way her legs and hands are positioned. It could be a coming out party for her, where members of the aristocracy and upper classes held parties and balls for their daughters to introduce them into society. She could also be marrying into a family of name.

Did you note the two rings around her waist? I don't think this is to reduce the waist and enhance the bust line -- it would seem to represent a form of self-control, of discipline by not being over-indulgent, a worthy attribute of those with careful upbringing and an observation that is in-line with the throne and her lineage.

Yes, i noticed that the rings around the curtain were also similar and they are used to 'hold back' the curtain as she has has to hold back in certain areas to achieve what she has. If she is on the verge of success whether social or otherwise, she would have had to have reigned herself in and worked in a very focused goal orientated way to have come this far.

This necessarily follows the hard work and dedication of the painter in the eight and here we see the result of all that hard work - acclaim and recognition both materially and socially.

Birds are social creatures. The brightly colored ones are prized as pet and as mates. Sitting above her, this suggests to me an aura of social grace and of acceptance, a place in the world, an ability to attract and influence others.

Very interesting point.

She is upon the brink of social recognition, perhaps marriage, but certainly to be "confirmed" in some way, to be placed within a comfort zone. In this sense, this card is much like the Waite-Smith card except that there "comfort" is an established circumstance. Here, in the Fey Tarot, this Nine of Pentacles is achieving, is advancing, is being honored and enriched within moments, within a short time. There is movement here from one condition to another, her trip/growth is not yet complete but she is most clearly getting there, progressing and acquiring. She is on the verge of this. Perhaps a different sense of what the nine's are about, certainly a more dynamic sense and condition then static comfort.

Like I said above, I see this card as her about to accept a prize or be rewarded in some way. If she is an artist (who transcend class) she maybe at her opening exhibition or an award ceremony having achieved first prize. We are seeing the benefit of that total dedication and focus. She could be a writer waiting in the wings of the Booker prize or an artist about to receive the Turner prize.

Thanks for your thoughts, very observant and interesting:)

rcb30872

The bird looks like a parrot to me

http://www.sayahda.com/cyc3.html
The Parrot
The parrot is an alert bird with a good temperament. They are very intelligent and have been taught to mimic humans. A bird which can speak the human language is considered to be a link between mankind's world and the world of nature. They serve as a bridge in which both can cross to gain a deeper understanding about one another. This understanding allows both kingdoms to live in harmony.

One of the most outstanding features of the parrot is its range of coloring. Parrots invoke a sense of hope and promise. Just looking at its brilliant feathers gives us a feeling of excitement and wonder. For those who identify with this totem opportunities to renew their dreams and visions are offered.

Parrots teach us the power of magic. Their feathers are used in healing rituals to invoke the properties of color and light. Color and light therapy have been used by many native tribes to heal the sick or injured. For those with this totem the study of its colors will reveal a lot about yourself.

Parrots can be very vocal or very quiet depending upon the situation they are in. In humans this indicates an innate ability to know when to voice ones opinion and when to be silent. Lessons associated with discernment are always present in a parrot medicine person. The parrot is a feel good bird and is a great ally in healing depression. When the parrot flies into your life it is asking you to recapture the magic of living. It is time to enjoy your life and all it holds.

The big "picture" if you can call it that is a bunch of grapes. Grapes denote plenty and fertility. To me, it immediately conjures up images from ancient Egypt, and other ancient times, such as Cleopatra.