Sibilla Oracle Cards

WolfyJames

I've been looking for a long time for the Il Vostro Destino by Masenghini on eBay without much success. I don't have a credit card, so I can't buy the deck on Trigono website. Is it as pretty as it appears to be on their website?

felicityk

WolfyJames said:
I've been looking for a long time for the Il Vostro Destino by Masenghini on eBay without much success. I don't have a credit card, so I can't buy the deck on Trigono website. Is it as pretty as it appears to be on their website?
I like it, but it is not quite as pretty as I thought it would be.

Felicity

BoomVoom

* Google translated this as "to be to the erta" and wouldn't go any further. Maybe someone who speaks Italian can help? The illustration is that of someone listening at a door, but I have found the other illustrations are not necessary literal.

i don't realy speek italian but i know that "stare allerta" means to be allert.

BoomVoom

sorry i havn't been here for so long...
i got tired of waiting... ;)
any way

i've dunn some studying in comparing my diferent sibilla cards, and i came to the comclusion that there are 3 different tydes:

the french sibille
the italien sibille
and a cross between the 2

the "I Misteri della Sibilla" falls into the italian category, like "la magica sibilla" which i have.
no not just because they're in italien! ;P
but the disposition of the meanings is comun to moste of the italen sibilles.
the italien sibille usualy has 2 extra cards to signify the person who's fortune is being told.

the french dus this with with 2 cards from the deck.
the 2 of hearts and the 2 of spades.

darwinia

BoomVoom said:
the "I Misteri della Sibilla" falls into the italian category, like "la magica sibilla" which i have.
no not just because they're in italien! ;P
but the disposition of the meanings is comun to moste of the italen sibilles.
the italien sibille usualy has 2 extra cards to signify the person who's fortune is being told.

the french dus this with with 2 cards from the deck.
the 2 of hearts and the 2 of spades. [/B]

That's interesting to know. I just got the i Misteri della Sibilla from Felicity this week, and I think it's gorgeous. I have been translating the terms on the card but my dictionaries and online translators got stumped by a few. Some are obviously different modifications of the same verb, but others seem odd.

Here's one I found puzzling: The 9 of Spades says PRIGIONE (jail or prison) then PERDITA DI AMICI (loss of friendship) and finally GRAVIDANZA (which Babble Fish translated as pregnancy???) But I think it really means "grave" as in a grave situation as our English word for grave does come from the Italian.

It's the suffixes on the verbs I'm having problems with. Also I notice that depending on the figure depicted, the word has the masculine or feminine ending like....nemico for a male enemy and nemica for a female on the Queen and Jack of spades.

What do the numbers mean on the cards Boom Voom (I can't read the booklet yet)? There are two numbers on each card above the titling, I'm not sure if they're astrological or something.

BoomVoom

hahaha!
;)

i'm sorry but i think it's something much more simpl than that.
my sibilla dus not have thos numbers but i know what they are. i don't know weather the numbers were found by some isoteric mothod, by chance or just by the artists fancie.
the numbers are for guidence in choosing lotery numbers.
so some one who wants to play the lotery, can go to you and ask:
"what will the winning numbers be?"
you pull 1 or 2 cards and you can give them an answer...

the numbers give a very frivolis image of the sibilla, but i know that the numbers were added after sibilla decks already existed.

if you think of it this way it's easy to understand why this was dun.
the sibilla cards began to become very popular at the turn of the last century.
this means that there were a great number of average simple minded people who were also interested in seeing "the future". but for simple people, what is it that they want?
even me reading the tarot i've had people ask "so can you tell me how to win the lotery?"
of cours you cant finde the winning numbers with a pack of cards, if you do it's usualy up to chance.
but the card publishers of the time werent interested in weather it was true or not, all they realized was that there was a demand for cards which could tell people what lotery numbers to choos.
so they began to put extra numbers on the cards to help choos such numbers.

minde you even today, especialy in latin countries, all the psychic networks or astrology programs, card reading programs, or phone lines still give their clients their lucky numbers.

so there's a long winded answer for a symple question. i hope it wasn't too boring or disapointing.
;)

by the way:
PRIGIONE dus mean jail or prison
PERDITA DI AMICI is usualy a repercution of that. the card can mean the 2 things.

gravidanza means, as you say, a grave situation or a worsening situation

the 2 cards other cards depict a male nemicis and a female nemicis. but that realy depends on your intuition and interpretation sometimes the queen and JACK of spades can just be people or can demonstrate how one card is acting on another card, dipending on what the images are.
in my deck the woman on the queen of spades is discretely pointing a dagar.
if we were to have "baldoria" "nemica" "sponsali", as my nemica pionts to the right one could say that apersons recless and unserious behaiour is affecting theyr relationship.
but if we have forinstance
"nemica" "lei" and then over the head of "lei" we have "legereza"
we could say that a woman is being stabed in the back and she dusn't seem to realize it.

i'de realy like to have a study group on these cards and see othere people's interpretations...

darwinia

BoomVoom said:
there was a demand for cards which could tell people what lotery numbers to choos.
so they began to put extra numbers on the cards to help choos such numbers.

Really? So it's just a lucky number? Wow.

so there's a long winded answer for a symple question. i hope it wasn't too boring or disapointing.

Well, I am not interested in astrology or numerology so it was fine with me and I always love history. I see by what you are also saying about the masculine and feminine, that it is like court cards in tarot, not necessarily gender specific.

in my deck the woman on the queen of spades is discretely pointing a dagar.

As she should be if she is the Queen of Swords!!

i'de realy like to have a study group on these cards and see othere people's interpretations...

That sounds interesting. I can't seem to find definitions for some of the Italian keywords. For instance, you have used "sponsali" in your reply to me, and it's on the Ace of Clubs in the Misteri della Sibilla deck, but I can't find the definition for that word.

Hilde started doing weekly draws/study for the Petit Jeu Lenormand deck:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30648

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30740

I don't have this deck but I like different systems, if it hadn't been for Felicity I would never have had a clue that these things existed.

Thanks for the information Boom Voom and I peeked at your web site--enjoyed your Poser pictures. I have Poser 3 but never seem to be able to use it much, I have trouble with the lighting. I've done a couple of good ones but I find the program frustrating. Your stuff was great, glad to see someone using the program well.

BoomVoom

omygosh!!!
theat thing is still up?!?!?!?!
*blush*

any way sponsali means the husband and wife.
the card usualy denotes aliences, coupling, mergers. and yes it is the ace of clubs.

darwinia

BoomVoom said:
omygosh!!!
theat thing is still up?!?!?!?!
*blush*

I bet you get a lot of dates from visitors to your web site. <g>

Thanks for the translation. I am finding these decks fascinating and might have to get another one for comparison purposes. I think I like the Italian ones better than the French.

I'll have to sort through the thread again and go look at some. I'm not really fond of the older illustrations depticted on some of them--something about the colouring is unattractive, but I'll have another look at the various ones.

annik

I started to collect them. The one I like the most (because of the drawing) is La Magica Sibilla.

I must admit I haven't tried them.

I wonder if that kind of card is around since a while?