SG - ReIn. Edgar Cayce on ReIn.

napaea

As in all forum areas of Aeclectic Tarot, the Reincarnation Study Group should be an open place of discussion, where we can share our ideas and beliefs without judgement or prejudice.
While our views will all likely differ in some areas, I hope we can keep a friendly, open atmosphere. The desire here is to learn and share...please bare with one another as we seek information and knowledge. Please respect the opinions and views of each other, even if you don't agree. Please do not disrespect anyone.
Ok, play ball!

well ok, i had to start reading today! i am so excited about this group, i couldn't help it! :D

i'm only through the first chapter, but wanted to jot down some thoughts.
for the record, this is from
Edgar Cayce on Reincarnation by Noel Langley (1967?)

* i thought it interesting that Cayce's first fear - once he had gone "under" and started talking about reincarnation - was that "his subconscious faculties had suddenly been commandeered by the forces of evil".
so great is the fear of reincarnation in the Bible believing masses that they assume you must be possessed to believe in it!

! now, i have to admit i used to be that way. i very much believed in one life, one death, then the judgement. so i understand this way of thinking. but it is frustrating to me now, on the other side, that people worry about you as a person if you believe in reincarnation. this is admittedly a sore spot with me. even when i WAS a christian, i still held unorthodox views, but it's my life! why shouldn't i believe what i want?

i know now that many christians in the old days DID believe in reincarnation, and it wasn't until it was deemed wrong by the Roman government that reincarnation was officially ousted out of christian belief.

anyway, all that to say; why can't we all just believe differently? why do we have to have demons or be possessed just because we have a different view or idea?

* Cayce was very protestant, which i don't imagine all of us are. but it is interesting to me that (pg 14) when talking about people who might receive a reading from Cayce and never heed his advice, these people are said to continue on their "unrepentant ways". i guess that bothers me. i know this was written in '67, very changing times, yet still conservative. but, what do these people have to repent from? surely they aren't "sinning". i wonder if he just means repent as in "turn away", as though Cayce's judgement on what they should do with their lives was to do something totally opposite than what they were doing.

but do you know what i mean? makes it sound like any time you do something 'ill advised" you are wrong! i thought our lives were here for learning and growing?!

* on page 17 the author discusses Cayce "transposing" French. he says that the information he was receiving for this young man was in an older French dialogue, which had to be translated. and that Cayce did this a lot, having to translate old languages or different ones than he knew, sometimes even visual glyphs/languages.

have any of you guys had that kind of experience in dreaming?
it reminded me of a dream i had in french one time. i only took 1 1/2 years of French, so don't know much. but i had this dream where i was Meg Ryan (if only!) and the whole dream was in French! it was incredible! i have also dreamt in sign language, but i have studied that some.

if only we could tap into the resources! if only we could consciously go in and find the language we want to use!

* ok, back to topic at hand:
(pg 18) here they are talking about a boy receiving a reading from Cayce. apparently in past lives, this boy had great power, but used it poorly or for selfish gains. at this point the author says that the subject (boy getting reading from Cayce) had "forfeited some of the benefits he might otherwise have passed on to himself in the present."

well! i never thought of that! i guess i always thought of karma as, you do bad, later you have to pay.
i never really thought that by doing bad or being selfish in another life, you would hold yourself back from talents you had in that life. it just never occured to me.

so do you maintain a latent essence of this power? or talent?
say you were a swordsman in a past life and killed people visciously, do you think you still carry over that talent and ability, or like he says, you lose that? is that what he is saying? you give up your right to take that ability into the next life? that doesn't make much sense to me.
look at all the serial killers who were trying to kill their aunties sleeping in bed when the kids were 4 years old? that would seem to me to show a talent or knowing carried over.

i'm not sure i agree with him on this. or, well maybe we carry the memories over, without the talent.

or maybe he isnt' talking about talent at all. maybe there is something else we miss out on for misusing power.

i dont' know, hoping for discussion on this one for sure.

* (p 19)
he also brings up issues that suggest this boy has aptitude toward certain things, but that he would do better in life if he went with other interests.

how do you feel about that? do you think there are things we are "wired for" that we just shouldnt' get into?
like, since the day i came out of my mother, i have wanted to be an actress. i am very capable and talented. i make people cry at auditions! but i still have never really pursued it.
am i telling myself to follow another path? or just scared of succeeding? (rhetorical, i don't really expect analyzation!!)

but is he saying here that we have talents we should ignore?
and why would we do that? why would our soul carry over a talent that it had no intention of us using? i guess this doesn't seem to make sense to me. perhaps he isn't suggesting not using the talent, but not pursuing it as a career.

either way, i can certainly see that there may be some things we are better suited for than others. our horoscopes reveal alot of that. but i don't feel ignoring a gift you have is the best way.

* (p21)
here the author talks about which lives had a "constructive bearing" on this person's current life.
the psychic i went to also said this to me...she told me about 4 past lives i'd had, and said those were the ones that impacted this life the most. but really, i know there are other lives that have a great impact on me now as well. i've remembered them or had other psychics tell me about them.

so what about this? don't all of our lives teach us and cause us to grow? of course, so i guess he is saying certain ones tie more closely to this life than others. so, is it like we have 'chapters"?
like certain themes or veins run through our soul, and we repeat these veins, and the other lives connected to these veins are the ones that most impact the current life?

ok, i'm sure i have more, but i give up for now!!
must wait for wisdom of you all! becoming overloaded!!!

Alissa

napaea's quote: (i don't know how to do thta quote thing you elders do)
"apparently in past lives, this boy had great power, but used it poorly or for selfish gains. at this point the author says that the subject (boy getting reading from Cayce) had "forfeited some of the benefits he might otherwise have passed on to himself in the present."

well! i never thought of that! i guess i always thought of karma as, you do bad, later you have to pay.
i never really thought that by doing bad or being selfish in another life, you would hold yourself back from talents you had in that life. it just never occured to me.

so do you maintain a latent essence of this power? or talent?
say you were a swordsman in a past life and killed people visciously, do you think you still carry over that talent and ability, or like he says, you lose that? is that what he is saying? you give up your right to take that ability into the next life? that doesn't make much sense to me."

My belief is that yes, some talents may be ours to have again and are passed down, but in a "latent" form. You may be an excellent musician after a lifetime spent as a composer, but not necessarily drawn to composing this time around.

I believe that our talents call out to us though, that we sometimes have an irresistable draw towards ... (fill in the blank) in our lives and, what do ya know, we actually picked up that skill quickly.

When I first sat down at a spinning wheel, I was COMPELLED to learn how to spin (wanted to learn for about 7 years before I did, after reading Mists of Avalon too many times i guess). When I did learn, it was like remembering, not learning it new. I've spun in so many lives that it came right back to me, once I had someone give me a "push" in the right direction.

But, i also believe that karma is tricky and when we use our talents to the abuse of others or ourselves, (like the swordsman example you used) we do bear the brunt of repercussion. So it seems logical to me that you would not fully gain from the good things the talent gave you in life, as mentioned about the boy in this Cayce reading.

OR that you may be less in touch with this talent in a succeeding lifetime.

I don't know if I'm making sense -- I'm trying to but the baby got me up at 4 a.m. and I havent had coffee yet :D

napaea

just have to ask: are you a bit psychic?
i DID have a life as a composer, or so i was told. i think i composed operas, she said, and all that kind of thing.
in this life, though i don't like operas, i am very moved by musicals...they always make me cry, even the Buffy musical episode! and i started writing songs at around 9 or earlier.

just thought it was interesting you should pick that particular example!

but i see what you are saying. i had thought you carried over talents, and just never thought about NOT carrying them over when you misused them. it makes sense though, but it still seems to me it is in your soul memory, so could be accessed either way.

p.s. i don't remember how to do the quote thing either. someone told me once, but i still don't know!

Alissa

Yeah I am a bit psychic :D funny how these things work...

Originally I used the example of a violinist. Then I changed it to composer when editing the post before replying!

napaea

Originally I used the example of a violinist. Then I changed it to composer when editing the post before replying

That is sooo funny!
i love how those things work, your little mind just says, "hello! say this!" and it's wild!

napaea

hey, to get a little action going,
do you all just want to read whatever book you have on reincarnation, and then make a post to share the info w/the rest of us? that way we don't all have to read a certain book, or at a certain time, but we can still have the discussions?

i'd really like to get people's input on reincarnation, and if you just read whatever you have and post the authors opinions and your own, i think we could get this group going.
maybe?

truthsayer

my mother and grandmother introduced the cayce readings to me as a young child. i probably have read the parts you are talking about at some point in my life but i'd have to re-read it to really give you feedback. one thing you need to bear in mind w/ the cayce readings is that just b/c he was channeling and supposedly didn't remember what he said during a trance session that some of his personality and personal views still bled into the reading. his prophesies and channelings aren't infallible. imho, no more so than is biblical prophesy, etc. he was a humble religious man that was quite dumbfounded by his talent but resolved to make the best of his situation by helping others thru the readings.

i have been to the association for research and enlightenment and i have also taken a few workshops and classes there. i've been to the library where the transcripts are kept for ARE visitors and members to listen to or read. my personal take on cayce is very similar to my take on the Bible or any other being or book that claims to hold some truths--i listen, add a grain of salt, take what makes sense to me and go on to the next idea. the transcripts of the trances are sometimes direct and clear. other times they are vague and difficult to understand. however, i really like the atmosphere of enlightenment, acceptance and personal growth that i've felt when at the ARE. yeah, i've seen some negative sides of the ARE, too but the staff's human and try to grow from their mistakes.

i think you should consider joining the ARE, taking some classes online or at least going to the website to learn more. perhaps you'll find the answers to some of the questions. perhaps you'll find more questions than answers. but i do stand by the genuineness i have sensed while at the cayce center. it's a wonderful place. ARE members can borrow materials from the library and have access to the cayce readings that the general public doesn't have. members receive a monthly magazine called "venture inward" about the readings and other things spiritual. you are also alerted to when classes or workshops are being offered and given special member benefits.

this isn't a commercial. i'm not a member of ARE at this time but not b/c i don't believe in what they do. i'll try to find the web addy and post it here. i've been considering taking some online classes from atlantic university which is affiliated w/ the ARE. the classes can be quite expensive but well worth the investment. you can ask questions of instructors about cayce and get an answer based on years of experience w/ the readings. i took a class on personal mythology 8 years ago there. it had a profound impact on my life that i can still see in my life today. it also changed my approach to tarot.

Alissa

A link :

http://www.edgarcayce.org/

Great story, (sooth)truthsayer! I'm familiar with a lot of Cayce work through reading books, and liked to hear your commentary. I think youre right, everything with a grain of salt.

And napaea I'm still watching this thread and hoping to chime in more, but I havent had time to read anything beyond a grocery list in ages. :( Maybe later....... :)

Alissa (who is lurking all over this thread if you cant tell)

napaea

alissa:
well, it may end up just you and me on here, i don't think anyone else has stuck around! but i am happy to discuss this stuff with as many as are interested! i want to hear other's opinions and views.

i've stopped reading the cayce book, just cause no one seemed interested in reading it. but if you are interested in doing a book study, tarot study, or other on reincarnation, let me know.
even just discussing ideas is great with me!

Alissa

HEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYY EVERY BOOOOOODDDDYYY

Sure, I'm game for discussing past lives. Actually .... this is sparking an idea in me! I still haven't gotten around to doing any of your past life spreads, the one that's based off the hiroglyph.

Care to start a new thread on personal past life spreads? Hopefully that will motivate me into reading more into that life you told me about in a reading once upon a time (last summer :D).

If you do start one, PM me the link so I don't miss it ok??