world spirit 6 of Cups

BrightEye

I've read the relevant thread in the Study Group devoted to this deck. The card shows two women. One is leading the other away by the hand. The one who is being led offers a red apple to her companion.

I find this an unusual image for this card. There is neither an overt nostalgic feeling here nor the sexual connotation that one finds in some non-RWS decks.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm particularly interesetd in the apple. Could it be a pomegranate? I can see a Demeter- Persephone theme here but that's just me...

Acacia

You're describing the 6 of cups, not the 6 of swords which is your post title.

Interesting observation, I've never given the apple much thought in this card. To me I see two people in a protected garden, it is nostalgic in the way we protect our memories of the past.

BrightEye

It is the 6 of cups, sorry. Yes, they are in some protected space, but I don't really see the nostalgia. Where is it?

Sulis

I see nostalgia in this because it looks a bit like they are framed in a picture frame.
It looks like a really innocent scene, maybe because they are protected by the walls of the garden.
Sixes are about harmony, balance and sharing. I love the way he holds out the apple to her - they look like a young couple in love.
I think the nostalgia comes from the innocence and joy that this image brings. It makes me think of young people falling in love in spring time with all the daffodils in the front.
There is a hint of sexuality in it too - the cup at the top left of the 'frame' has fire in it.

I really like this card :)

BrightEye

I like your reading, Sulis. And you are right about the cup with the flame - forgot about that. I'm trying to figure out whether this is a good card to get in terms of where a relationship is going. I wonder if it's giving me advice for action or whether it's saying I'll just have fond memories but that's it. I think the apple is the key. I see two women in the card but I guess it could be either. In terms of sexuality it almost reminds me of the apple Eve gives to Adam. But then, not quite...

Sulis

One of the things I love about the World Spirit is the way that the characters are often very androgynous.
The Lovers card could be a heterosexual, gay, lesbian or bi - you just can't really tell.
This card has that same feel.

The apple is the fruit of knowledge - does that have any bearing on your situation?
It seems to me more innocent than that, just sharing some of the fruit they've taken from the bowls at the front of the card but as always with Tarot, context is everything :)

BrightEye

Sulis said:
One of the things I love about the World Spirit is the way that the characters are often very androgynous.
The Lovers card could be a heterosexual, gay, lesbian or bi - you just can't really tell.
This card has that same feel.
Interestingly, the Lovers also showed up in that reading! It's true what you say, the characters seem quite androgynous throughout. That's whatI like about this deck too. I had to laugh though: when I first saw the knight of pentacles I thought 'that knight looks like me'! Only later did I realize he has sideburns - maybe he doesn't quite look like me...

Sulis said:
The apple is the fruit of knowledge - does that have any bearing on your situation?
It seems to me more innocent than that, just sharing some of the fruit they've taken from the bowls at the front of the card but as always with Tarot, context is everything :)
Yes, it does seem more innocent than that. But maybe the whole paradise apple thing wasn't as evil as the bible makes out. I should investigate that maybe.

I've drawn the 6 of cups in this context before. Then it was with the Tarot of the Old Path, which shows a couple but in a different way to the couple of the 2 of Cups. Back then I couldn't figure it out either. Maybe something like unconditional love or support - if that exists.

BrightEye

Found some more information on the Study Group forum:
Rhiannon said:
6 of Cups: rekindled passions. taking a walk down memory lane. This card kind of reminded me of Snow White, because of the apple. Anyone have any insights on the apple?
Rekindled passions I think mught fit the situation. Snow White maybe, but that would make the gesture of giving rather insidious.

Rhiannon said:
About the apples in 6 of cups:

Quoting from Tarot Shadow Work by Christine Jette. "Apples have represented knowledge since time began. In Celtic beliefs the spirit goes to Avalon, The Land of Apples. They are symbols of the soul. Apples signify death, rebirth and wisdom."
Here is your fruit of knowledge, Sulis. Death and rebirth would tie in with rekindled passions. Also with the Snow White theme. AND with the Demeter and Persephone myth.

Any more ideas?