New Mary-el Card

Nevermore

Oh, that is beautiful. And I love your cards.
That snake reminds me of something I saw on the X-files years back, Scully had a tattoo similar to that, just coloured differently. I always smile when I see that symbol.

MaryElTarotFan

Hey there Fearful Symmetry.... I have been patiently watching this deck unfold for quite a whiles now. I appreciate your comments on wanting a more cohesive feel to the entire deck as in soaking up all the imagery thus presented so far....I have found myself wondering, what the Heck is this sister tapping into? LOL. Not that I minded, I loved the individualness of the cards in this deck but the symbology just seemed to be coming from a lot of different angles and mythologies. It gives the deck a very personal feel from an artist with a very personal vision. It doesn't feel like a deck with an agenda, if that makes sense.

At any rate, I never fail to mention this Deck to anyone even mildly interested in the Tarot. I adore this Deck and cannot wait till it is completed.

FearfulSymmetry

Bat Chicken said:
Yay!
I saw the sketch for this one on your journal.... It is so amazing in colour....

In many ways - if this deck is produced commercially (or should I say 'when') I'd like to see it larger - because these paintings are incredible....:)

I'll definitely keep that in mind. I would like it big too.

:)
Marie

FearfulSymmetry

Nevermore said:
Oh, that is beautiful. And I love your cards.
That snake reminds me of something I saw on the X-files years back, Scully had a tattoo similar to that, just coloured differently. I always smile when I see that symbol.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Didn't she get poisoned by the red ink or something? It would be cool to go back and watch that episode and see if it had any kind of a 5 of diskness about it.

FearfulSymmetry

<Hey there Fearful Symmetry.... >

Hi! Wow!

<I have found myself wondering, what the Heck is this sister tapping into? >

LOL!

< Not that I minded, I loved the individualness of the cards in this deck but the symbology just seemed to be coming from a lot of different angles and mythologies. It gives the deck a very personal feel from an artist with a very personal vision. It doesn't feel like a deck with an agenda, if that makes sense.>

I think it makes sense.
I can try to answer you. I have tried to use a lot of angles and mythologies to illustrate what is a universal meaning behind all of them. Every myth, story, idea, is just a pointer to a bigger truth and/or an archetype. At least that is what I am trying to do - I am sure I have had some successes and some failures.
I don't think I was ever looking for it to have a personal feel, but I have tried to be honest in what I see or find rather than dogmatically using traditional symbols. What I mean is, I try to understand them and test them and then find the clearest way to illustrate them.
Now I hope I am making sense.
As far as agenda, all I can say is that it is all done out of love, love for tarot and art and mysticism and symbology and a feeling that this is an important thing I need to do with my life. I am happy and flattered you like what I have done.

<At any rate, I never fail to mention this Deck to anyone even mildly interested in the Tarot. I adore this Deck and cannot wait till it is completed.[>

Thank you! I hope it turns out good!

Marie

FearfulSymmetry

Wings said:
Just became aware of your work...so glad you posted here...you work is masterfull and your vision is so original ...thank you I feel renewed and inspired...

Hi Wings:)
I saw your deck in another thread and what beautiful art and a gorgeous tarot it is! Your kind words are an honor to receive.

Marie

room

FearfulSymmetry said:
I'll definitely keep that in mind. I would like it big too.

For sure. I think publishers often skimp on size to make the deck conform to a template they use. It makes it easy for them to print but they miss out on producing something really special. Lo Scarabeo in particular are missing opportunities by printing every full deck the same size. If they can do large Majors only, why not an entire deck in large format?

I have been looking forward to buying the full deck, so it's nice to see your energy and focus has picked up a bit. You sounded a bit frantic months ago when speaking of redoing cards and finding a publisher.

Your work is some of the most exceptional I've ever seen in Tarot and it's ALL original--not just collaging, and copying artists' work that isn't copyrighted.

It should be a special, gloriously large size!

baba-prague

It's good to see the deck so near to completion - and yes, I can fully understand that after all these years there will be cards you now want to change. It'll be wonderful when it's all finished - a great achievement.

FearfulSymmetry

room said:
I have been looking forward to buying the full deck, so it's nice to see your energy and focus has picked up a bit. You sounded a bit frantic months ago when speaking of redoing cards and finding a publisher.

I have to admit that I have finally enlisted my husbands help in keeping me on track. He has a list of what I need to do and he is going to keep me on schedule. It helps a lot too that my baby Freya is nearing 20 months old so she is getting much more independent, freeing up some time for me. It is hard to get anything done with 3 kids running about!
Gone are the days when I could just smoke and coffee myself into a stupor and paint for days on end with no food or sleep, now I have to juggle it between a diaper, bath, lunch, bandaid, etc. and I quit smoking to boot! Ahhh, it all just adds to the spectrum of experience:)

Thanks Room!

Marie

FearfulSymmetry

baba-prague said:
It's good to see the deck so near to completion - and yes, I can fully understand that after all these years there will be cards you now want to change. It'll be wonderful when it's all finished - a great achievement.

Hi Karen, good to see you!

I am finding that the repainting card thing can quickly become a trap. There were some that definitely needed redoing, but then there were others where I was tempted and then found myself going full circle and just learning deeper aspects of the original card I painted. I think some people never get past this point, it is like quicksand.

I find it wild to see all the fabulous decks I have seen begun and finsihed in the time I have been working on mine, I feel like I am such a slow polk, or like that camera trick where you see a person standing there in real time while everything around them buzzes by on fast forward. You have done some fantastic stuff and greatly added to the tarot universe in this past decade.
I just hope when I am done the party won't be over LOL!
(as you can see I am more than a little stressed about it!)

Marie