One MORE Deck Hits The Table???

Cerulean

The card Oblivion and maybe 10 of Swords?

The tortured character with the hunting weasal on the leash, lower right:

http://www.tarotpassages.com/filipas8.htm

May help...

For Justice
By the way, I've seen a pair of fish painted, each curled around and chasing a circle, as a balanced yin-yang symbol in an artistic pattern...
@
( )
@

so maybe Justice is two perfectly balanced ferrets checking out a circle symbol at each end...hope this type above stays aligned.

Mari H.

HudsonGray

I talked to someone who had some cards done up previously. His were black & white too, and he said that waterproof ink was necessary if someone was going to be using watercolor to color in the images. Straight xerox isn't going to be smear proof--the waterproof ink is used on business cards & such, so I need to check with the copy places again on this.

He suggested PIP Printing (not sure if they're national, but they are a franchise, individually owned). The guy there walked him through the process a few years ago & the cards he did came out fine for coloring, no matter what media was used (color pencil, watercolor, acrylic, gel pens, metallic markers, etc.).

I hadn't thought of that--this is just a notice to others who are thinking about black & white printing.

Ravenswing

Hudson--

Many moons ago my first wife and I published a small zine. I'm based in Phila, and we used PIP printing and found them to give us excellent results. They always made good on anything that didn't come out the way we wanted. No hassles, no questions.

I love your ferrets. Keep it up-- the idea of color your own deck is a great one.

Raven

HudsonGray

Thanks, that's good feedback on PIP. I hope their quotes will be affordable, we're checking them tomorrow.

I'm going to have to redo the borders, the one I picked doesn't reproduce right, it blurs. But that should be no problem putting in a new one.

OMG! I posted the picturetrail URL with the pictures on over at 3 Yahoo ferret lists--the feedback in the last 48 hours has been phenominal! NO bad comments. I've got people wanting over 50 decks so far (yeah, I know all of them never come through, but hey!). And this has just been in 2 days.

One lady wanted to know if she can pass the info on to other ferret owners, one already linked her page to it, one says their friend has a pagan store in NY who wants to carry it, and (get this!) one lady asked if she could use the Hermit card as a tatoo on her, that she's been looking for the right card & this is it.

?????

I am SO pleased with the response! Gawd, now I have to finish the deck!

HudsonGray

Ok, time to design the card back--I was thinking of doing curled ferrets randomly placed, so there's no up or down clearly marked, and no framing that needs to be worried about, but someone else asked for a central figure similar to a reversible Jester.

My mind immediately went to the image of the King of Swords in a regular deck of cards where the sword is stuck through the guy's head (gee, missed the brain!) then thought why not the Fool instead where the ferret has his jester stick stuck through his ears, the dangles on the end of the stick swinging away.

I sorta like it! BUT need input--should both ferrets be sable marked (brown & tan) or should one be albino? Should both be albino? Should they be more cartoony or realistic? The cover card for the deck has a realistic ferret laying out the cards in a spread and looking up at the viewer. But half the deck is more cartoonish. Would that be too great a difference between the backs and the cover card?

Here's some of the images--the FOOL in the first picture is what I'd be basing the back design on from the arm up, but in a new position: http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1243650&uid=728989

Comments invited! I didn't want the back to be just plain, or the speckled generic backing I was originally going to go with.

Need Feedback!

Cerulean

I enjoy these cards

and I see they will be on the Major Tom-produced/Aeclectic & Other Artists' calendar. I look forward to reading your text as well.

Chronata

hee!
I never owned a ferret myself, but I was fairy godmother and part time baby sitter for several of my friends ferrets...

I adore your deck! I think it's wonderfully executed, and not the kind of "cutesy" thing that I was expecting from the title!

keep up the good work! I can't wait to see when it's finished!

BTW, the black and white deck with the Who Am I is called the Morgan Tarot...and is not actually a tarot at all. It's my favorite "drug trippy" deck. It's the one with the card that says "Pigs and fishes surround you!"

Trogon

Feeback HudsonGray? Here's some feedback; I LOVE THIS DECK!! Please, please, please be sure to let us know when its done and how much the per-deck cost will be... You've done a great job here of conveying the meanings of the cards combined with your love of ferrets. Great work!

HudsonGray

Aww shucks, LOL.

You're gonna die when you see the 10 of Swords. I'm real happy when I came up with that one, everyone looking at the pages of art done so far stop dead on that one & start laughing.

The 5 of Pentacles is still hanging me up, as is the 10 of Cups, but this HAS to be done this month, for an event I want to be at in August, so it's getting done!

Alissa

HudsonGray said:
The 5 of Pentacles is still hanging me up, as is the 10 of Cups, ....

Hudson, you KNOW I'm waiting for one of your ferret decks ....

my giggly ideas ;)
5 Pentacles ... a ferret sitting forlornly, looking at an empty food bowl?
10 cups ... several ferrets eating happily out of overflowing food bowl?