Universal Fantasy - 5 of Chalices

thorhammer

What a powerful image! Here is a man standing tall against a wave of hopelessness and loss, maintaining his dignity because he has an image to uphold. Going on the richness of his dress and surroundings, and the symbolism of his being up high, I surmise that he's royal or noble of some description, and so he cannot afford to allow his emotions to rule him . . . but he's struggling right now.

And then you see why. The parade on the bridge below him - is it coming or going? I tended first to see it as going. Perhaps it takes with it the love of his life, or perhaps it's a funeral procession taking the body of a loved one away. He's grieving for someone, whether they've died or are passing out of his life some other way. I tend towards the romantic, and I think his lover rides in one of those carriages and he's up here on his lonely balcony, wondering how he'll ever go on without her in his life. It's a momentary feeling, though, because he's just got to turn to his right and find the two full cups, one for him and one for the lover, and all will be well. They can share them again. It makes me think of the 2 of Chalices, with that mirror which could be taken as a magical tool of communication, two lovers sharing a cup from far, far away, missing each other terribly, but fortunate enough to be able to speak and see one another.

But today I looked at that procession and wondered - what if it's on its way in? Maybe he's had free rein in his domain for a while in the absence of a draconian family member who's returning.

The image strongly resembles that of the 3 of Wands in the RWS, and with it, the theme of being trapped in a castle of your own making. I think this guy (if the procession is on its way toward his home) is downtrodden by someone, who makes him feel powerless and incapable of decisive action. But he's only trapped in his mind. He has to make the decision not to allow this person to dominate him any more. He has to use the two cups at his side to come to a more equal relationship with this person.

\m/ Kat

Queen of Disks

Another idea is the man could be either one of those nasty tyrant dictatorial rulers, or just an inept ruler. If the parade of people are leaving, then maybe this man went too far over the line, or something else bad happened, and the city residents have had enough and are leaving. The man is (to me) upstairs, looking down at all of this, feeling sorry for himself.

If the parade is coming into the city, then maybe the "true heir to the throne" or the hero of the people is coming home and into the city. Which probably means the man is now out of a job, and is still feeling sorry for himself.

I have a feeling that whatever this guy did, he largely did it to himself, although what ever happened may not entirely be his fault. He has to suck it up and face the consequences now.

Rede Seeker

PPPRRRRRrrrrrRRRR

This card sold me on this deck.

The caravan coming or going isn't the point, for me at least. It's the fact that is it down there either coming or going while the Man in the tower stays home. He'd rather be down there with them than where he is now. His lower garment is rich red-orange-purple flowing to the floor, we don't see his feet. His upper garment appears to be metal. Observe the spine-like formation along the back. He has rigidity forced upon him. Even if he wanted to go with the caravan, his 'uniform' does not allow him that flexibility. If clothing is read as a metaphore for the Soul, he has vital, rooted connection but encased in something that over-rides his inherent passions. We don't see his left arm, but we see a tuft of those plume-like things at his left shoulder. His right arm from shoulder to fingertips is encased in armor-like material.

His vantage point allows him to see the 'big picture'. That makes his situation endurable. That and the three cups that he's drained - Hailing those who pass beneath him? The two that remain are for him to drain alone. They stand on a chest - not too elaborate and not too plain - his 'baggage' representing his obligations to the city or clan?

Shuvano

I think Thorhammer interpreted this card nicely as it is what I get from it.....funny that I never noticed the caravan on the bridge until I read this thread and then studied the card more intensely!!!