my quandary

zander770

i am a wee-bit :confused: confused, and have asked and received and considered opinons re this--i DO like the artwork better in the fairy ring oracle, yet, almost "everyone's" using this one, the faeries oracle. now, part of this...this "quagmire" (the letter for tonight is "cue," ladies & germs, that's "cue") and muddy-water is, too, the fact that i've never used an oracle deck (yes, even totally irish and yeats mavin) before!

mostly, tho, is the fact that i've No Money!

anyone care to help "kick my bum off the fence," to one side or the other? (the fact that there's a Great Group, right here's my main deciding factor, really . . . but: That Art!!! ugh...)

slan leat,

~Z~770
})

faunabay

I would go with the one you like the best - which seems to be the Fairy Ring. :)

There are certain people who connect with the Faeries Oracle and some that don't. Yes, there are some who've told me they didn't like it! (gasp!) LOL

And since you say you don't have much money I'd definitely go with the one you like the most and don't worry about what others think or connect with! :D

zander770

thx (the "money comment" was sort of a joke) for the comment. i think i'll lurk on the faerie oracle thread for awhile, and decide my this week!

~Z~770

Silkin

zander770 I have to ask have you had either deck in your hands ???

The woman who gifted mine to me had a 2nd deck because someone she knew didnt like them & couldnt work with the Froud Fae ... however she works with the other faerie cards...

Personally my cards chose me I had no choice in the matter

Good Luck with the decision

Jewel

Hey Zander ... well I have to vote for getting both *LOL* ... well I just have to. I have both decks and they are TOTALLY different. Their approach, style, everything about them. What the Froud Faeries teach you is to believe and fall in love with the faerie realm. They teach you about how it operates and is really helpful in opening your understanding that there are no good or bad faeries, they simply do not exist within our norms. This deck is extremely interactive, and the faeries will follow you everywhere. This is a "teacher" deck. It teaches you how to connect with the Faeries.

The Fairy Ring is more of a reading deck, not a teaching deck. I love reading with this deck because it is blunt and brutally honest. It is not interactive however, and if you have not had the pleasure of experiencing life with the faeries, you may be frightened away from some faeries in this deck.

I love both of these decks, and that is all I have to say about that. I am glad I started with the Froud Faeries, because it really opened my perceptions and enabled me to see the Fairy Ring Fairies in a better light than I would have otherwise.

Not sure if this was any help, but its my 2 pearls worth ... can't wait to hear what you decide to do ;)

zander770

that's it! eureka!

Jewel said:
What the Froud Faeries teach you is to believe and fall in love with the faerie realm. They teach you about how it operates and is really helpful in opening your understanding that there are no good or bad faeries, they simply do not exist within our norms. This deck is extremely interactive, and the faeries will follow you everywhere. This is a "teacher" deck. It teaches you how to connect with the Faeries.

that's the oracle i will purchase first! thx! (see ya in the study group!)

~Z~770
:T2P

Jewel

Zander I am glad I could be of help! but remember I wrote that based on MY experiences ... which actually seem to quite similar to those of others in this study group. Have you purchased it yet? In order to have the experiences you will need to work closely with this deck ... keep it close to you, play with the cards. Definetly you need to read the FRONT of the book and do the exercises ... this is where it all starts. The rest will unfold. I look forward to your particiaption in the study group! :)

And ... whatever you do ... DO NOT read the card descriptions until after you have done the exercises in the from of the book ... you will miss out on a lot if you do.

zander770

thx jewel!

Jewel said:
Zander I am glad I could be of help! but remember I wrote that based on MY experiences ... And ... whatever you do ... DO NOT read the card descriptions until after you have done the exercises in the from of the book ... you will miss out on a lot if you do.

yes! i have "heard" this (mayhap i "read" it)! anyway, no, alas, i've NOT purchased the oracle, as of yet (and i may not be able to until next yr! i know, i know...). i AM receiving a new robin wood deck and book AND . . . they're to be autographed by Robin Wood (well? she's putting my order motto on the 2 of penecales), so ... that's my $35 xmas present to myself!

i HAVE, however--you might be quite tickled to know--been re-rereading my yeats (ya know: "fergus and the druid," "a faery song," "who goes w/fergus?" "the man who dreamed of faeryland," et. al., so ... i AM "down w/the fae's," w/out a doubt!

ha!

slainte'!

~Z~770
:T2P

Cerulean

Fairy Oracle, online, and Amazon.com guide?

Here's the strengths of the Fairy Oracle (Anna Franklin) to me:

- the British or celtic traditions of the Fairy Oracle are outlined
- the cards are photomontaged
- the backgrounds are deeply green and the coloring of the photographs reflect a twilight world and some mistyness
- there's a resemblance to the Sacred Circle that might make it interesting to look at the reviews of that tarot and see if anything resonates with you. Any comments on the pips of the Sacred Circle isn't applicable to the Fairy Oracle, as the 60 cards don't have pips...but they do have a system that is interesting and seemingly well-organized and they do have cards for various celtic holidays that make it a good yearly oracle.
Why don't you go to Llewellyn's web tarot site and consult the Faery Oracle online for a peek?

Brian Froud's work on Faery beings do not seem oriented to the celtic slant. His Pressed Fairy book showed an eclectic humor
that might be delicious for some. (It reminded me somewhat of Gaudanzi, an Italian, who did northern European folktale illustrations in his Golden Dawn/Enchanted/Hidden Folk tarot.)
Since Froud is considered a strong writer as well, you might use Amazon.com as your consulting oracle---with reader commentaries and sneak peaks at some of his other Fairy products, something may speak, squeak or honk a warning...

I'm interested in hearing what happens,

Mari_H.

zander770

Re: Fairy Oracle, online, and Amazon.com guide?

Mari_Hoshizaki said:
Why don't you go to Llewellyn's web tarot site and consult the Faery Oracle online for a peek? I'm interested in hearing what happens, Mari_H.

well, thx, mari! i think that i WILL take you advice and chk out llewellyn's site (i do receive the mailer-catalogue) concerning them fae's!

also: i very much enjoyed your signiture!

~Z~770
})