Reviving the One Deck Wonder

thorhammer

I like the Name Intense (or Intensive?) Deck Study, too. That might possibly placate the traditionalists, I hope. I think it's fair to say that this exercise is an evolved form of the original ODW, possibly so far evolved as to be another species, so distinct nomenclature would be polite and progressive.

Also, it seems that my intention for this exercise is more deck-focused, in that I want to concentrate on one deck for a period of time in the hope that yes, I will learn it upside down, inside out and sideways. To that end, I will be using the companion book. I also intend to source material that I see as being likely to add to my understanding of the deck. For instance, the companion book references many other works from varied subject matter, including one that I already own, "The White Goddess" by Robert Graves. In my quest to deepen my understanding of this deck, I see this as putting out feeler-roots so that my base for understanding is broader and draws on a wider worldview.

As to another thread - yes, that is probably a good idea. This one has served a useful purpose - that of helping us to "nut" out our intentions and the differences between those and the original exercise as engendered by Umbrae et al., as well as being somewhat of a filter. But if we were to start another with a title that reflects the evolution, we could possibly (hopefully) avoid the contention that has occurred here.

Another couple of days here wouldn't hurt, though :D. Folks seem to be finding it almost fun.

\m/ Kat

Logiatrix

For me, the One Deck Wonder project was very helpful for crawling out from under all the study, discussion, theory, and new concepts that bogged me down at the time.
:thumbsup:

I tried it twice; once with a Marseille and once with a RWS.

The components were extremely simple; in fact, the simplicity is innate to it's purpose, I think. It requires just one deck for three months to a year, and a blank journal (and a writing utensil, of course) for the random observation here and there. That's the rules and the equipment right there in a nutshell.

I did it not to study a deck, but rather to focus on reading a deck. I'd been doing plenty of studying, researching, and scrutinizing of symbols; however, my deck reading had diminished considerably. I noticed that I was going from new deck to new deck, rather than returning to my reading deck and getting face-to-face with querents once in a while. Sticking with one trusted deck forced me to do more readings and really work on my skill, instead of conducting just a smattering of readings to try out this or that new deck.

So, I put away all my other decks, books, other divination tools, and so on...and I gave it a try. Definitely no regrets.
;)

I especially appreciate how it made me much more comfortable with the RWS symbolism. I had favored the un-illustrated pips before my One Deck journey, but now I'm not so sure. I can happily say it's probably 50-50 with either deck style.
:D

Anyway, I just wanted to add my two-cents. That is, that the ODW helped me to focus on reading the cards, as I already had the studying thing worked out just fine...to well, in fact. But, for me, the whole reason for tarot is the reading part, so I needed to go back to that. The One Deck Wonder is the best way I've found for remembering why I enjoy tarot so much.
:)

ETA: I don't mean this to brow-beat the points that have already been made about the different intentions of others. Rather, I just want to clarify how valuable the original project was for me. Maybe someone else might see the same need on their own tarot path...
:love:

autumnsdaughter

thorhammer said:
I like the Name Intense (or Intensive?) Deck Study, too. That might possibly placate the traditionalists, I hope. I think it's fair to say that this exercise is an evolved form of the original ODW, possibly so far evolved as to be another species, so distinct nomenclature would be polite and progressive.

Also, it seems that my intention for this exercise is more deck-focused, in that I want to concentrate on one deck for a period of time in the hope that yes, I will learn it upside down, inside out and sideways. To that end, I will be using the companion book. I also intend to source material that I see as being likely to add to my understanding of the deck. For instance, the companion book references many other works from varied subject matter, including one that I already own, "The White Goddess" by Robert Graves. In my quest to deepen my understanding of this deck, I see this as putting out feeler-roots so that my base for understanding is broader and draws on a wider worldview.

As to another thread - yes, that is probably a good idea. This one has served a useful purpose - that of helping us to "nut" out our intentions and the differences between those and the original exercise as engendered by Umbrae et al., as well as being somewhat of a filter. But if we were to start another with a title that reflects the evolution, we could possibly (hopefully) avoid the contention that has occurred here.

Another couple of days here wouldn't hurt, though :D. Folks seem to be finding it almost fun.

\m/ Kat

Kat, I couldn't agree more. I am very excited about this! I also like the IDS name change. I think it more completely describes the journey upon which we are embarking.

WolfSpirit

Logiatrix said:
Anyway, I just wanted to add my two-cents. That is, that the ODW helped me to focus on reading the cards, as I already had the studying thing worked out just fine...to well, in fact. But, for me, the whole reason for tarot is the reading part, so I needed to go back to that. The One Deck Wonder is the best way I've found for remembering why I enjoy tarot so much.
:)

Well, I enjoy studying tarot at least as much as I like doing readings, so for me it is different :)
Being a member of this forum for so long...and being exposed to so many decks over time...I feel my attention is scattered over too many different decks. Focusing on just one deck for a while and going back to basics seems like a good idea for me. I will have to stay away from the Tarot Deck forum – there are always people asking questions about decks I have or I know where to get it etc. I have lots of global knowledge about decks, no deck that I really know inside out…
I think it will be great to focus on just the Steele Wizard for some time. I have more decks, that I have already used a lot, that I want to concentrate on in future…but in between the serial monogamy (lol) I will take a time-out when I can gush over and enjoy all my other decks as much as I want to :D
(didn’t you wish you could do this with your love life as well, lol)

So these are my plans so far:

I will use the Steele Wizard, no other decks;
The only book I may use (not sure yet if I will) is Master Class Tarot by Paul Fenton-Smith because I may want to use his system of reading reversals;
I will start on Spring 2008 (in the northern hemisphere that is), and I will try to keep it up until the start of Summer 2008 which is 3 months;
I will buy no mass market decks in this period – but if I find an OOP or very hard to find deck that has been on my wish list for ages I will not stop myself from buying it (but I will not use it yet);
And if I succeed I will treat myself to shopping in the bag section of Magic Realist Press :D.

Maybe I will keep on using the Steele Wizard as my sole deck after this, but I am also already thinking of doing a period focusing on the Druidcraft together with the Druid Animal and Druid Plant Oracle after this – so I will see how I feel about this by then.

Le Fanu

Ive been following this thread with the utmost interest and even volunteered for it on one of the earlier pages, though I had, a couple of days before, begun exclusive study on my Vieville without giving my study plan a name. I kind of backed out here a bit when it seemed that what we wanted to do was somehow not quite in the spirit, and needed redefining etc but now Im glad to see it´s picked up, dusted down, and all looks very promising.

My own objective was simply to know one deck inside out, and to enjoy being focussed, and not fritter myself around shopping in Alida and amazon and trawling shops just in case they have a really fabulous deck that I can buy.... and sitting down at home and not knowing which deck to choose from. Above all, retain concentration for one deck which I love. That is why I chose Vieville.

Also, because, I want to get to grips properly with the non-scenic pips. I read with them, but find myself pausing and thinking what it is in the VR! So if I learn deeply with these, it should flow more naturally.

Im not giving myself a reward at the end which involves buying, and Im not going to specify a time limit. It should be - for me - at least a month. Could be three.
The reward is knowing intimately one deck. I really want to have this under my belt...

And yes, I like the name Intensive deck study....IDS

Scion

I like the name Intensive Deck Study as well... especially because it actually describes what people are wanting to accomplish. I love specific language. :)

Rigor, focus, and commitment: when aren't those a good cocktail? :D

thorhammer

Scion said:
This isn't fingerwagging, but I do feel like there are an awful lot of people saying : "do whatever feels right" and "go with the flow." Nice in theory, but sort of contrary to the entire enterprise. The reason to go the One Deck Wonder route is to deny exactly those safety nets and comfort foods that get us into ruts.
I've been mulling over this point since you posted, Scion. And I've come to agree with you. I think that the super-supportive "go with the flow" atmosphere of AT has indeed gotten to me, and it's made me a little complacent. I do want to remove my safety net, and to that end *deep breath* I'm going to put the Faeries away as well. (They're screaming at me now. I'm in so much trouble :()

And I've been thinking it might be more beneficial to all of us who want to "join in" to have some sort of structure. Again, this is in the thinking-about stage, and as much as some of the comments here have cut me (and not just one, either) I have been influenced by some of them to the point where I find myself now. And that's a good thing.

So let's aim for an official start date, to begin with. I know there are some who've started already or are a month or a year or whatever in, and that's fine, but as a group, it will help our cohesion to have a Grand Opening, or something :D. I like the idea of a Solstice launch, but if anyone has objections, put them forward and may they be weighed up :D. So 22 March?

\m/ Kat

Raya

Marina said:
I wonder if i'm the only person in the whole world for which Thoth tarot (and it's children) was not meant to work! :( :( :(

I think I'm there with you. I have a Thoth, and it just doesn't do it for me, if you know what I mean. Maybe that'll change someday, but hasn't yet.

MariposAzl

thorhammer said:
I've been mulling over this point since you posted, Scion. And I've come to agree with you. I think that the super-supportive "go with the flow" atmosphere of AT has indeed gotten to me, and it's made me a little complacent. I do want to remove my safety net, and to that end *deep breath* I'm going to put the Faeries away as well. (They're screaming at me now. I'm in so much trouble )

And I've been thinking it might be more beneficial to all of us who want to "join in" to have some sort of structure. Again, this is in the thinking-about stage, and as much as some of the comments here have cut me (and not just one, either) I have been influenced by some of them to the point where I find myself now. And that's a good thing.

So let's aim for an official start date, to begin with. I know there are some who've started already or are a month or a year or whatever in, and that's fine, but as a group, it will help our cohesion to have a Grand Opening, or something . I like the idea of a Solstice launch, but if anyone has objections, put them forward and may they be weighed up . So 22 March?

\m/ Kat

Ok, now I'm a bit confused. So, Thorhammer, are you saying in regard to the rules and structure you'd like to stick strictly to the original rules of the ODW? Or just the part about using only one deck and anything else goes (ie using accompanying books, exceptions for paid readings, playing with other decks, etc)?

I really would like to join in, but I want to be sure what the "official" rules are gonna be. Call me picky (or pedantic :laugh: ) but I feel it would be easier to follow along as well as offer support for others as a group if we're following the same rules.

I feel you on the complacency thing. It also makes it easier not to stick to as well as waters down the intended effect if we already have a built in crutch.
Now I do think an IDS (and I'm officially claiming it a verifiable TLA since I made it up :D ) has it's place, but it's all about the intention when startting out.

So, what is your intention? To be a better reader through the use of only one deck (ODW), or is it to get to know your deck as intimately as possible (IDS)?
I think we should all consider which is our intention, state it and move forward. I would hate to break up our little gathering, but I think for the sake of focus, support, and lack of confusion it would be benificial for all to work in the appropriate group.

There is a thread I found (don't have it right now cause I'm on the wrong computer) specific to the ODW and daily journaling.
We could also start a thread in the more appropriate Individual Deck Study forum for an IDS once the "official rules" have been posted.

Who's game?

Raya

Stuff set?

I mulled this one over, I wanted to join and then didn't and then did and then tried to figure out what deck I would devote my time to... when I realized that ever since I started my stone set (lithomancy), I've wanted to really get into it, but didn't, cuz it's hard. I used my RW based decks because they're safer, I know them, right? But if I really want to learn my stone set, and I do, I need to devote time to them.

So could I join using my stone set? It's actually not only made up of stones, but also of other stuff-- a crazy mystical button covered with sacred Hindu symbols, a Conneticut quarter, some beads, a couple of bent nails, one of those Tresor perfume-sample petals that you get at the cosmetic counters, and a tiny piece of old... stone? pottery? that has MASSIVE energy..... just stuff, really. But meaningful stuff. The querent reaches into my bag o' stuff and pulls some out at random and then drops it. It sounds easy, but the hard part is reading it. I've had crazy-good results before, but more often I just get confused.

What do you say? I don't think I should give myself the luxury of a tarot back-up, I'd use it as a crutch and never really test my litho-abilities. I'll only use the stone set... more like stuff set for three months, and journal everyday. I might also set up a thread in the divination thread area with weekly updates, to show I'm keeping up with it, and thus make myself keep up with it.

EDIT: And now I can make use of my new webcam and take pictures of what I throw, maybe even post them. Yay!