Reviving the One Deck Wonder

thorhammer

peace_pixie said:
Holy moly

Can't believe i didn't see this thread until now :bugeyed:
Hello, honey :D. Yeah, it's a bit of an epic, innit? You thinkin of joinin us?

\m/ Kat

Gazel

thorhammer said:
Yes - that is, your autumn eq. :laugh: We're starting on mine! :D It's a purely arbitrary figure, for the sake of unity. If someone personally wants to only do it for a month, then that's fine. I based the three months around the idea of 78 days. That works out to just under three months, and since the eq. is coming up, I thought it would be nice to tie it in with the Sabbats and rhythms of the Earth and Sun. This is a message that comes through broadly in the deck I'm going to be using - the Wheel of Change - so I admit to being a bit selfish there. If anyone has a better suggestion, please bring it forward :).

\m/ Kat

No I don't have any better ideas about starting and ending. Half a year sounds perfect for me.

Your talking about *your* autumnal equinoxe made me realise that you're on the other side of Planet Earth :O) This forum sort of tricks me to forgetting that sort of things, even though I know it rationally, off course - people seem so close - funny.

Gazel

WolfSpirit

autumnsdaughter said:
Faunabay, I feel the same way. Nothing against anyone here, of course, it's just that I rebel whenever I see a list of "Thou Shalt Nots" -so I am going to do my own independent study.

I don't like rules either, I have too many already in daily life that I don't want them in my tarot studies as well. But the rules for the IDS seem so straightforward to me, I would probably do these things anyway whether they are written down as rules or not.

I have decided for myself I will do this for three months.
Then I think I will do another kind of IDS when I allow myself to look at my other decks for pleasure but not for reading or study (as I mentioned in one of the posts above). So I can see for myself how much these other decks distract me.

Alamaris

H-h-holy! I forget to check the thread for a day or two and look what happens! I don't know about the rest of you, but I find it extremely buoying to attempt new feats with a large group of people, so its looking up already. I'm even considering going for six months instead of three...!

Now, if I could only pick a primary deck. Universal Waite... Robin Wood. Robin Wood... Universal Waite. Ack! *flops*

Emily

I'm amazed at how this thread has grown too - I like the rules, pretty easy to follow, especially the book one because the Liber T is a deck that occasionally the images need to be explained, sometimes just for the sake of curiosity but also because that image might be fundamental to understanding the card. These cards can be read purely intuitively but its nice to know what I'm looking at. :D

lilith_in_tree

Alamaris, I totally agree--it's so nice to think that all these folks are on board and we're doing this together :D I'm glad so many people are interested, and making the study their own, and I think thorhammer said somewhere back there (fast thread!) that it's nice to make a sort of public declaration of intent, not to be accountable to anyone else, but to fix in your mind, for yourself, what it is you want to do with your study.
And I just thought I'd mention that I'm finding it so interesting to journal with the cards from my VR--I don't know how many of you are planning on doing that, but for me it is so helpful to write down by hand what's on the cards and what they make me feel. By the time I've written a page or two I feel I know them intimately, when they come up again they feel like an old friend, I recognize their faces. I feel this is the best way for me to study--I do a card every day, and it's going to take me a while, but it's going to benefit my readings greatly.

Madame Squee

Hey, Kat, I've read the IDS rules on the first post; they sound perfect to me, especially the part about having the option to refer to the companion book and other texts, and I'm ready for March 19th.

In the interest of getting out of my own way, I selected my deck by random draw -- I wrote the names of my reading decks on slips of paper, mixed them with eyes closed and picked one. I'm satisfied with this selection process, because I really love reading with about 30 of my decks, and it was just too tough to try to make a conscious choice from among them.

So, my randomly-selected deck is the Druidcraft Tarot, and the beauty of it is that I feel like the Universe has chosen it, not me. So, I think I'm pretty much out of the way here, except I didn't pick from all the decks in the universe -- only from the ones in my cabinet -- the ones I like. :p

My personal plan is to use the Druidcraft Tarot until December 21st, which is nine months -- a perfect gestation period, I hope! :laugh:

Woo-hoo!

:heart:

Mariana

I think I'm going to take up the original ODW idea: reading only. I've been thinking of studying a deck, because I don't feel like a reader, and I felt really torn between all these conceptually interesting decks to study. But I've just started a reading exchange thread to get my intuition started and I noticed that I automatically use one deck only for readings. So that has settled itself. And since I've already packed all my books away (we'll be moving soon, happy coincidence), it all seems to be coming together...

Oddity

This sounds like a very interesting thing to do, very useful, but I don't know if I dare to...

On the one hand I would love to do something just like that, because I can really see how one can benefit from using just one deck for a while... good for focus, and that's something people like me always need more of. ;) And it would be an interesting personal challenge.

But on the other hand I still feel like such a newbie who doesn't really know anything about anything at all to start with. :)

On the other hand again (or would that be the third hand?) maybe that is a good reason to do it...

Hmm... I'll think about it for a while.

thorhammer

Gazel said:
No I don't have any better ideas about starting and ending. Half a year sounds perfect for me.

Your talking about *your* autumnal equinoxe made me realise that you're on the other side of Planet Earth :O) This forum sort of tricks me to forgetting that sort of things, even though I know it rationally, off course - people seem so close - funny.

Gazel
You're right - it does make you think harder, not just take for granted that all of us are "on the same page" :D.

And just to be clear, I intended to take it through from the Equinox (Mar 19) to (my) Winter Solstice (approx. June 21), which is three months. I think to aim at six months as a group is a little much to ask. Those who are aiming at six, nine or even twelve months - good for you! As a benchmark, though, three months (around 78 days ;)) sounds like a good place to start, doesn't it?

Now, I know I said before that I'm not going to keep a list, but there are people who seem to want a more official structure . . . would it be useful to keep at least a list of people+decks? Since this differs so markedly from the ODW in that lots of us are using different decks, it might make it easier for all of us to support the rest if we can easily refer to who is using what deck . . . what do you all think?

\m/ Kat