Reviving the One Deck Wonder

thorhammer

Yurikome said:
Oh, oh! If you're making a list already I better de-lurk!

I'm totally in for this :) With my Gothic Tarot of Vampires. Tried with another deck before, packed everything else away and the result was - no readings done whatsoever for three months, all because I was missing my vampires so much. Despite its illustrations straying far from RWS versions, it being all modern and violent, I'm sure this is the one I want to focus on. Not that I use any other of my decks, but this will at least motivate me to actually do something :)

Can't wait!
Interesting choice, Yurikome! Welcome :). I'm glad you've chosen such a . . . confrontational? . . . deck to join us with. You'll have a lot to work with and hopefully some really interesting comments to add to our discussion along the way.

And thanks for de-lurking :D.

\m/ Kat

rwcarter

thorhammer said:
I don't understand the vast majority of your process, but that is totally immaterial. The exercise was important to you.
I'd be happy to clarify (succinctly, which I CAN do when I so desire :D) anything that you (or anyone else) don't understand about how I determined the winner in each match-up. But, yes, it was an important process for me to go through. Had I just thrown all the deck names in a hat and picked one, I don't think I would've been satisfied with the results.

thorhammer said:
Do you feel *good* about the final result? I guess I mean, do you have closure, or is there a niggling . . . regret? . . . that one or other of the other finalists didn't make it? You expressed surprise, and from your comments I take it you were choosing between the two match-ups in each round, but it sounds to me like you made very considered decisions, and I hope that it's a result you're happy with.

\m/ Kat
I WILL go back to studying and using the BG. There's not a question in the world about that. Creepy children aside, it's definitely a keeper. Had the AET not been chosen for the IDS, it definitely would end up on that ever growing list of "Decks that I have to study... someday... when I have the time...." And since I bought it after it was OOP, I should get my money's worth out of it and at least make an attempt to use it.

As for the match-ups themselves, especially the first two rounds where I was just looking at cards and choosing the deck that visually spoke to me at that moment, going into many of the match-ups, I had an idea about which deck would win before turning over either of the cards. I don't think I own a deck where I love every card in the deck. And the random number generator caused me to pick some less favorite cards from favored decks which were then pitted against favorite cards from less-favored decks. And the favored decks lost.

Everything happens for a reason, and I was meant to use the AET for the IDS, whether or not I continue to use it afterwards. Now I've got to think of what rules I will impose on myself for the duration of the IDS. Those will come in another (hopefully short!) :laugh: post.

Rodney

lilith_in_tree

My goodness, my mind is boggled! rwcarter, no one can say you aren't thorough and thoughtful in your choices, that much is certain :D
I think it's great that you ended up with a deck that you might not have if you'd just randomly picked one--should make your study more interesting as well.

Madame Squee

sravana said:
<snip>I'm very comfortable with the idea of the IDS as it's developed, and ready to charge in (as soon as I figure out which deck to use!). I also like the idea of a special post where we state who we are and what we are going to do. And I'm not unhappy with the 12-step comparison, either, because there's a sense in those groups of banding together to accomplish a difficult thing. There's also a sense of dedication/initiation that I think could be a good thing here (for me, at least). If I've determined that this is a *good* thing, then being publicly accountable to my fellow-travelers (!) is a way to keep me on track. We have the opportunity to create an IDS sub-group of AT - which could become a place to make stronger friendships (I see something like that happening on the de-enabling thread!).

Okay, I'm going to shut up now. :) :p
Wow, sravana, very well said -- I couldn't agree more! Public accountability has always played a positive key role in changes I've managed to make along the way. Of course, I'm careful who I make myself accountable to.

With quitting smoking, I stayed away from the daughter-in-law, who said, "Who are you kidding? You'll never quit smoking! When I met you, you were trying to paint the house with a cigarette dangling out of your mouth! I can't even imagine you not smoking!", and the coworker who said, "There's no use in you trying to quit, you've tried before; you'll just be back, puffing away in 2 or 3 weeks at the most. What will you do if you can't go smoke a cigarette on your breaks? Work?! Ha-ha!!"

I did a whole lot better around positive supporters, like my daughter, who said things like, "Wow, you haven't had a cigarette all night, Mom, I'm really proud of you! I know it's not easy, but I know you can do it. You've done harder things, remember when...?"

I really feel comfortable in this group, like this will be a good place to work out good change.

Okay, I'm shutting up now! :p

thorhammer

Wow, cronesayer, thanks for sharing that . . . parallel. It's starting to become clear that lots of us see using one deck as a challenge because of the temptation of the world around us, and of our collections.

It's nice to see so many people thinking so deeply about it :)

\m/ Kat

Madame Squee

rwcarter said:
I'd be happy to clarify (succinctly, which I CAN do when I so desire :D) anything that you (or anyone else) don't understand about how I determined the winner in each match-up. But, yes, it was an important process for me to go through. Had I just thrown all the deck names in a hat and picked one, I don't think I would've been satisfied with the results.

I WILL go back to studying and using the BG. There's not a question in the world about that. Creepy children aside, it's definitely a keeper. Had the AET not been chosen for the IDS, it definitely would end up on that ever growing list of "Decks that I have to study... someday... when I have the time...." And since I bought it after it was OOP, I should get my money's worth out of it and at least make an attempt to use it.

As for the match-ups themselves, especially the first two rounds where I was just looking at cards and choosing the deck that visually spoke to me at that moment, going into many of the match-ups, I had an idea about which deck would win before turning over either of the cards. I don't think I own a deck where I love every card in the deck. And the random number generator caused me to pick some less favorite cards from favored decks which were then pitted against favorite cards from less-favored decks. And the favored decks lost.

Everything happens for a reason, and I was meant to use the AET for the IDS, whether or not I continue to use it afterwards. Now I've got to think of what rules I will impose on myself for the duration of the IDS. Those will come in another (hopefully short!) :laugh: post.

Rodney
Well done! My hat's off to you, Rodney. I stand in awe of your amazing selection process. What a beautiful thing it is! :bugeyed:

Hmm... thinking, thinking, the wheel is turning, the hamster is being to pant.

Maybe... Maybe, I should just start over, you know, and give your process a go, and, you know, just see what happens? :angel:

Oh, no you don't! Nice try, c.s., but really pretty transparent. Everybody knows you just want to get your hands on all your favorite decks again! })

Well, anyway, thanks for sharing it. My deck is chosen & it's the Druidcraft, but when I change decks at the end of IDS, I'm definitely trying out your method of choosing. :thumbsup:

:heart:
c.s.

rwcarter

cronesayer said:
Oh, no you don't! Nice try, c.s., but really pretty transparent. Everybody knows you just want to get your hands on all your favorite decks again! })

Well, anyway, thanks for sharing it. My deck is chosen & it's the Druidcraft, but when I change decks at the end of IDS, I'm definitely trying out your method of choosing. :thumbsup:

c.s.
Thanks c.s. At least one person here doesn't think I'm crazy!:laugh:

But I've already decided for my next IDS, I'm only going to pick 16 decks to start with. And I'll probably change my mind (or more likely forget) about what I'm about to say, but I'll probably pick from those "What WAS I Thinking?"/humped back redheaded stepchildren in my collection - those decks that I never even think about picking up, much less using.

Rodney

thorhammer

rwcarter said:
I don't think you're crazy!

At least, not in a loopy way. Your madness is obviously methodical :D
rwcarter said:
But I've already decided for my next IDS, I'm only going to pick 16 decks to start with. And I'll probably change my mind (or more likely forget) about what I'm about to say, but I'll probably pick from those "What WAS I Thinking?"/humped back redheaded stepchildren in my collection - those decks that I never even think about picking up, much less using.

Rodney
Brilliant idea! Sadly, though . . . *ahem* I've already got my next one picked out* :| . . . and I want to do the shadow work and 21 ways study groups, too . . . but obviously that's a few years' work right there! So I'm not going to get too carried away just yet!

\m/ Kat

*Nigel Jackson. Wow. What a deck. Head over heels for that one, lemme tell ya. :)

Madame Squee

rwcarter said:

Rodney
Oh, Rodney, I'm still wiping the tears! Hoo-boy, I'll have to remember that next time I feel the yen for a new deck! There's no more room at the inn for those "what-was-I-thinking, hump-backed, redheaded stepchildren"! I'm full up!!! :p

PS: I was born a redhead (now it's white), so I'm laughing all the harder! :D

SolSionnach

cronesayer said:
Wow, sravana, very well said -- I couldn't agree more! Public accountability has always played a positive key role in changes I've managed to make along the way. Of course, I'm careful who I make myself accountable to.

With quitting smoking, I stayed away from the daughter-in-law, who said, "Who are you kidding? You'll never quit smoking! When I met you, you were trying to paint the house with a cigarette dangling out of your mouth! I can't even imagine you not smoking!", and the coworker who said, "There's no use in you trying to quit, you've tried before; you'll just be back, puffing away in 2 or 3 weeks at the most. What will you do if you can't go smoke a cigarette on your breaks? Work?! Ha-ha!!"

I did a whole lot better around positive supporters, like my daughter, who said things like, "Wow, you haven't had a cigarette all night, Mom, I'm really proud of you! I know it's not easy, but I know you can do it. You've done harder things, remember when...?"

I really feel comfortable in this group, like this will be a good place to work out good change.

Okay, I'm shutting up now! :p

I'm glad to hear that at least one other person sees it the way I do.
Another part of this is that people live either up or down to the expectations of others - as you've brilliantly shown in describing different people's reactions to your determination to quit smoking.

(I now have out more decks: Shining Woman, Greenwood, Wheel of Change, Haindl, Light and Shadow, Ironwing (eep!), and Maat. I *don't* think that I'm going to figure this out using Rodney's method - I don't think I could!)