Reviving the One Deck Wonder

Madame Squee

thorhammer said:
<snip>*ahem* I've already got my next one picked out* :| . . . and I want to do the shadow work and 21 ways study groups, too . . . but obviously that's a few years' work right there! So I'm not going to get too carried away just yet!

\m/ Kat

*Nigel Jackson. Wow. What a deck. Head over heels for that one, lemme tell ya. :)
You and me, bud! Nigel Jackson was in the pot! :thumbsup:

:heart:

SolSionnach

rwcarter said:
Thanks c.s. At least one person here doesn't think I'm crazy!:laugh:

But I've already decided for my next IDS, I'm only going to pick 16 decks to start with. And I'll probably change my mind (or more likely forget) about what I'm about to say, but I'll probably pick from those "What WAS I Thinking?"/humped back redheaded stepchildren in my collection - those decks that I never even think about picking up, much less using.

Rodney

Heh - when I read you above, my first thought was my Tarocchi dei Colori. Of course, I'd be blinded by that one after a week.. ;) ;) :p

edited for SPELLING, darn it!

thorhammer

sravana said:
(I now have out more decks: Shining Woman, Greenwood, Wheel of Change, Haindl, Light and Shadow, Ironwing (eep!), and Maat. I *don't* think that I'm going to figure this out using Rodney's method - I don't think I could!)
So you're still choosing, mate? :laugh: I've been making a list of people and decks, I was about to PM you :). You know which one I'm barracking for, don't you? But I must say, every one seems like a great choice for it. Good luck. Perhaps if you look further afield, at the rest of your life right now, to see which one would fit best with where you are at in your journey with everything else? (I'm so jealous that you even have a GW, IW and Maat to choose from! :mad: :D)

\m/ Kat

SolSionnach

thorhammer said:
So you're still choosing, mate? :laugh: I've been making a list of people and decks, I was about to PM you :). You know which one I'm barracking for, don't you? But I must say, every one seems like a great choice for it. Good luck. Perhaps if you look further afield, at the rest of your life right now, to see which one would fit best with where you are at in your journey with everything else? (I'm so jealous that you even have a GW, IW and Maat to choose from! :mad: :D)

\m/ Kat
You were going to PM me for my choice? don't I have until the 19th?? ;) ;)
as for what you're barracking for, that would be WoC, eh?

Well, all of them have boffo books, except for Ironwing - and for that we have Mi-Shell! :laugh: :p

I must say that when I pulled IW off the shelf and looked through it I felt a chill/thrill, something like that. I'm going off to bed soon, but first I'm going to just leaf through the decks. The only problem with IW is the lack of color (unless I do what Mi-Shell did - but I'm scared to do that!) - I picked up the Haindl afterward and all the color felt like a relief. So we'll see... :)

You're right, it is a blessing to have GW, MAAT, and IW to choose from. I paid retail for GW years ago - but full price for the latter two last year - that's over $200 inc. shipping!! So I guess I'd better get the best use out of my money, ya think?

then there's my hunchbacked redheaded stepchild: Tarocchi dei Colori: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tarocchi-dei-colori/

Of course, it has pips... :bugeyed:

thorhammer

sravana said:
You were going to PM me for my choice? don't I have until the 19th?? ;) ;)
as for what you're barracking for, that would be WoC, eh?
Course you do - I was (and am, perpetually) confused about who had chosen and who hadn't. I'll get on top of it, one day . . . :confused: And of course it was :) I'd love to have someone to share the journey with. That's not pressure, by the way! :)
sravana said:
then there's my hunchbacked redheaded stepchild: Tarocchi dei Colori: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tarocchi-dei-colori/
Gyah! *averts eyes* Yeeeessss, I see what you mean. Red and green and yellow and blue-headed . . . :D

\m/ Kat

rwcarter

sravana said:

Of course, it has pips... :bugeyed:
I have that deck too (but not in the metal tin as I found out in another thread a few months ago). My choice is made for this IDS, but I will if you will in a future IDS. :D (Misery loving company and all that....)

cronesayer said:
Oh, Rodney, I'm still wiping the tears! Hoo-boy, I'll have to remember that next time I feel the yen for a new deck! There's no more room at the inn for those "what-was-I-thinking, hump-backed, redheaded stepchildren"! I'm full up!!!
c.s., glad I could bring a happy tear to your eye this evening/morning. Having gotten LoS's Tarot of the Angels in the mail today and not being terribly impressed on first glance, I'm now thinking I need to do a reorg of my tarot shelves and devote a shelf (hopefully not two or three :eek:) to the "what was I thinking, hump-backed redheaded stepchild" decks..... ;)

Rodney

Alamaris

In my humble opinion, we should make a mini-One Deck Wonder after this one, for the sole purpose of trotting out our humpbacked, redheaded freakchild decks. :D

Admit it, we've all got one!

I'd have mine picked out already: my poor, neglected, incest-baby-of-a-tryst-between-Spock-and-Lo-Scarabeo, the UFO Tarot.

rwcarter

Second pass at my rules

changes made in bold

I WILL:
  • start the IDS on Fri, Mar 22nd and continue through Sun, June 22nd (I MAY start sooner, but I won't start any LATER than the 22nd)
  • make a deck-specific box for the Ancient Egyptian Tarot, incorporating a pic of either the Fool or the World in the box
  • remove all other tarot decks from the room in which I'll be doing my IDS
  • try my best to do a daily three-card Mind/Body/Spirit pull before I go to bed to reflect what will happen for me the NEXT day
  • at least shuffle the cards at some point during the day if I don't/can't do a 3-card reading
  • do my best to journal with the cards at least a couple of times a week
  • read and respond to non-IDS threads only when I'm at work (I do server and desktop support and have lots of time I can fill while I'm waiting for progress bars.... :D)
  • only check/input to the IDS thread once a night after I get home (I can respond all I like when I'm at work ;))
  • open the Buckland Romani and Alchemical Tarot reprints, Tarot of the Masters and Tarot of Wicca if they arrive during the IDS to verify they are complete and then put them away (I don't think I have any other decks coming before the end of this IDS)
  • not touch any other tarot decks except the four (Healing Earth, Revelations, Londa and Guardian) that I've already taken out to make boxes for. IF I make boxes for any of them during the IDS, I WILL ONLY touch the card I've already identified that I want to incorporate into the box design

I WILL NOT:
  • arrange for any trades or purchases through the Trading Forum unless it's of a deck that's on my wishlist or would've been on my wishlist if I had known about it/remembered it
  • not buy any decks off eBay unless it's a deck that's on my wishlist or would've been on my wishlist if I had known about it/remembered it (not really an out cause after averaging $200+ a month on eBay for more years than I want to remember, my activity in the last 31 days has averaged $43.51)
  • order/pre-order any new decks through any mechanism unless I've wanted them for at least six months and am able to see more than the obligatory 6 cards
  • touch any other tarot deck in my collection except as outlined in the I WILL section (If I happen to visit another tarot person and they allow me to thumb through their collection, you bet your sweet patootie I'm gonna touch decks that aren't in my collection! Also, if I get together with other tarot people, and one of them specifically requests that I bring a certain deck from my collection, I will, but only for the other people to look at.)
  • study any aspect of tarot that's not directly applicable to my IDS deck
  • play Freecell on my laptop (which I keep in the Study/Gym where I do all my tarot studies) when I should be studying my IDS deck
  • use any other deck to do readings for other people if I happen to read for anyone else during the period of the IDS
  • do any kind of reorganization of the tarot deck shelves or the tarot book shelves

I'm not sure how I will handle any tarot decks (or books) that I might find if I go used bookstore shopping. If I find a good deal, I will more than likely snatch it up! But then the other rules will apply.

If I think of any other rules before the beginning of the IDS, I'll edit this post. This was supposed to be a short post, huh? Mebbe next time! :laugh:
Rodney

rwcarter

Alamaris said:
In my humble opinion, we should make a mini-One Deck Wonder after this one, for the sole purpose of trotting out our humpbacked, redheaded freakchild decks. :D

Admit it, we've all got one!

I'd have mine picked out already: my poor, neglected, incest-baby-of-a-tryst-between-Spock-and-Lo-Scarabeo, the UFO Tarot.
Alamaris, if sravana doesn't take me up on I Tarocchi dei Colori for the next IDS, I'll do the UFO if you do. ;)

Rodney

Alamaris

rwcarter said:
Alamaris, if sravana doesn't take me up on I Tarocchi dei Colori for the next IDS, I'll do the UFO if you do. ;)

Rodney

Deal. ;) Ooh, this'll be a blast.