Inaugural Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Thread

sapienza

My IDS is going well. One of my cards, the King of Staffs, is stalking me though :) I've had him for three daily draws and he's come up in almost every reading or exercise I've done. Yesterday I thought I'd have a look at 21 Ways and do some of the exercises. The book suggests drawing three cards at random and then selecting one to use for all 21 ways to read a card. I chose three cards and guess what came up as one of the???? The King of STaffs. So I chose him to work with. I still can't really work out what his message is for me though!!!

Also, last night I kind of did something rather naughty. I looked through a few of my favourite decks. One of the exercises in 21 Ways is comparing cards from different decks and it got me thinking. So, I looked through a few decks, card by card, and then put them away. The most amazing thing was that I didn't feel even slightly tempted to give up my studies with the Alchemical. In fact I felt absolutely SURE I wanted to continue working with this deck exclusively. For me personally, I think having a quick flick though is good confirmation for me. BUT I'M NOT ADVOCATING THIS FOR ANYONE ELSE :D Don't want to be getting anyone else into trouble, just sharing what happend for me.

I'm absolutely loving the Alchemical. It's such a fabulous deck. I'm actually going to order myself a copy of the Renewed version because the one I've got is now out of print and would be very expensive to replace. I'm happy using it for myself and it is getting that nice worn feel about it, but I'd be very nervous handing it to someone else to shuffle. So I figure I can get the Renewed version for when I read for others.

sapienza

Just wanted to add....

I realised last night that we've only been going with this IDS for about 3 weeks. Anyone else feel like it's been WAY longer? I don't mean that it feels longer in a bad way, but it just seems longer. Maybe because I'm focusing so intently and getting so much out of the deck. Just thought I'd see if it's just me or if others feel the same way :)

Disa

Yep it feels longer to me, too. Even though I am focusing on it, I still find myself wanting to spend more time with the deck.

thorhammer

Hi, everyone :p

I've been AWOL for a bit, because my puter died on Saturday morning :( But it's fixed now, and I might have some time this coming week to get stuff done!

I feel like I've never worked with any other deck, too. I also feel like I'll never work with another one, although I hope that will pass. I haven't been journalling cards, but I have been journalling readings, as always. Lots of little readings, and I've been reading on the questions that arise from readings, too, which is a new exercise in tenacity and focus for me, not to mention discipline. But I am not all that enthused with the deck right at this moment. I know that it's just a momentary glitch, and by the end of the week I'll be all excited about it again.

I hope.

If I'm not, I know where to come for encouragement!

\m/ Kat

Knight of Wands

Am still thoroughly enjoying BBC.

Just a note - don't forget (if you want to) to join the IDS reading circle, round 2 - it's in Reading Circles forum :)

PeterS

sapienza said:
Just wanted to add....

I realised last night that we've only been going with this IDS for about 3 weeks. Anyone else feel like it's been WAY longer? I don't mean that it feels longer in a bad way, but it just seems longer. Maybe because I'm focusing so intently and getting so much out of the deck. Just thought I'd see if it's just me or if others feel the same way :)

I am the same way. It is nice though. I got tempted last weekend to buy a deck. I swear it is just out of habit. But if I keep going like this after three months all my other decks will seem like new!

What I think that I love the most about this is the just the calm and relaxed feeling I get from just having the one deck. I am starting to see repeating cards in readings and starting to hear this decks voice, which is different from the multiple RWS Clones I typically use.

Peter

Essjay

I'm having a hard week so far. It all started when I was trying to decide what my "reward" deck would be at the end. The next thing I know, I'm trolling through deck scans. This is not useful, it completely takes your focus away.

I really thought I would be ok just having a quick peek - so wrong!

Still loyal in respect that the VR is the only deck I'm shuffling/using but I'm surprised at how easily I was side-tracked. I think I decided that I would reward myself with the Touchstone Tarot - so now I can move on with my IDS.

mosaica

I'm feeling tempted this week, too. It started when I joined the trade train, thinking that I'd like to work on clearing out my collection and getting rid of decks I no longer want. Sure...

Of course, I have to pick a deck, too. And I really have my sights set on a Liber T. I'm thinking that if I don't get it in trade, then I'm just going to go ahead and buy it because I continue to hear so many great things about it. I'm dying to see once and for all what all the fuss is about. And it's not so different than a Thoth, so what would be the harm?... Three months suddenly seems like an incredibly long time.

I haven't been doing readings, just my daily two-card draws, because I haven't felt up to it with the foot surgery I just had last week. So I don't feel very bonded with the Thoth right now, just going through the motions of study, but not really feeling like I have the energy for serious work with it.

Recovery from surgery is a good excuse, anyway. I'm using my down time for dreaming of a Thoth with scenic pips....

tarot4fun

Essjay said:
I'm having a hard week so far. ...
mosaica said:
I'm feeling tempted this week, too. ...
(((Essjay))) (((Mosaica)))
Hang in there! You can do it!!! :D

mosaica said:
Recovery from surgery is a good excuse, anyway.
Hope your foot is healing well~ :love:

kisou

Recent Update :3

So just the other day I swung by the bookstore and took a look at the titles of decks... but wasn't really tempted to buy anything ..though in all honestly, the thought of how I need to eventually acquire the Medieval Scapini came to mind!

Anyway, the Amano tarot is an unillustrated pips deck so I decided to buy myself a book on numerology. I know the basic stuff from having read tarot cards before + the LS manga tarot that I've worked with in the past was unillustrated as well. However, I've decided to really start brushing up on numerology and really knowing at least the basics so I can grasp those cards I never quite get ((7 of Wands, I'm looking at you!))

If anyone is curious, it's the Complete Idiot's Guide to Numerology xD! ((As I said, just the basics!))

So far, so good. I've just read through to the section about the 1s and the little bit on the number was pretty interesting. I can't say that what I'm reading is really totally influencing and reinventing what I know about say the Magician or the Aces... just really reinforcing it, explaining it in more words. As I read about the 1s, I couldn't help but think "damn, that little paragraph fits the Ace of Swords almost exactly..."

I've decided to start taking a number a week, so right off the bat I'm starting with the Aces and the Magician; The Fool will be compared directly with the Wheel of Fortune after the Wheel of Fortune + 10s week.

I've all ready done a meditation on the Magician, so starting tomorrow and spreading it out for the rest of the week, I want to spend some time with each of the Aces and see how they relate to Numerology's 1.

...maybe eventually I'll feel confident enough to pick up a Marseilles! ((I think just the fact that it's a Marseilles deck freaks me out more than the pip cards themselves which I think I could handle!))