3 of Swords.

Amenty14

I need some help interpreting this card. I did a spread about myself and what I'm feeling. I understand the meaning of this card, cause i have gotten it before. The problem is that it fel on the position 4 that is " what is in your physical world".
To me this card is more of feeling and our inside. I do not understand how it relates to my physical world.

If anyone can help... thanks !

MercyMe

Well, the swords are a suit of thoughts and action. The three of swords pertains to something being reconciled in a way. After the two of swords which holds two opposing thoughts simultaneously as a kind of "peace" at a price, and the price is the tension between the two, the three breaks the tension. It is often something painful as the RWS image suggests. That third sword comes down in the middle and breaks the stalemate.

This card can represent an extramarital affair, for example. Usually there have been problems gone unaddressed between a married couple for quite some time before an affair occurs (2 of swords) and the affair is the result of the refusal to address the issues. The three of swords can also show how three equally appealing modes of communication/thoughts/actions may present themselves and the querant is in a position to have to choose or reconcile the three. The image of the heart that does not bleed indicates that this is a process that, while feelings are involved, is mainly going on in the mind or, as in your spread's position, actually showing itself to be a situation in the physical realm. Three people. Three choices. Three voices. Three options. All important, but which need to be sorted through.

You may be in a position to mediate between two people. That would be a 3 of swords type endeavor. Combining careful thought and communication among three people.

It's often helpful to focus on the image in the card and ask yourself what pops out to you, what seems to draw your attention, then ask yourself how it may relate to the question and spread position. Your first impressions are usually correct.

~Mercy

psychicbody

Well, the swords are a suit of thoughts and action. The three of swords pertains to something being reconciled in a way. After the two of swords which holds two opposing thoughts simultaneously as a kind of "peace" at a price, and the price is the tension between the two, the three breaks the tension. It is often something painful as the RWS image suggests. That third sword comes down in the middle and breaks the stalemate.
You are the first person to explain that card, in a way that makes sense. EVERY source I have read on the meaning of the 3/Swards suggests that it is a most unvavourable card; the common meaning being a "loss of love" or something to that affact. All the other Threes of the Minors are usually beneficial, or at least not as sad as the one in this suit.
I could never wrap my mind around the logic behind that. Even the deck I use (Revelations Tarot) depitcs it as one of melancholy and sadness - a screeming shadow over a crushed figure, with a sward sticking out of its chest.

So I have to thank you first for that much more insightful interpretation. As someone who preffers the Numerological meanings of the numbers, a Three being so undesireable is difficult to accept. This might make my readings smoother.

Thirteen

I really like MercyMe's explaination as well, and I'll add my kudos for explaining how the card can be "positive" and show that "three" progression even if it is painful.

Amenty14 said:
"what is in your physical world". To me this card is more of feeling and our inside. I do not understand how it relates to my physical world.
The real question is what does "physical world" mean? Does this include just objects or people? Is it your body? Is it your valuables?

If we take this to mean objects, then, as MercyMe points out, swords as communication would imply objects you use to communicate with or on. For example, your computer as you communicate here on the forum or the telephone. Any problems with these? Computer trouble? Phone lines down? Or maybe your fingers just can't seem to type right now--Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

Certainly, that third sword, as discussed, stabbing in between the two swords indicats some third, item coming between you and whoever you are "compromising" with...in this case, we presume it is a physical item like the computer crashing or your fingers hurting.

If we take this as your body, then it could also be verbal communiation--problems with lips, tongue, vocal cords. If we want to get very "physical" with this, it might well imply an illness, like laryengetius (sp?), or just tripping over your tongue, finding yourself tongue-tied and unable to express yourself. The words are in your head, but your mouth just can't get them out.

Does any of this seem to make sense given that Physical World position of the card?

Little Baron

psychicbody said:
. As someone who preffers the Numerological meanings of the numbers, a Three being so undesireable is difficult to accept.

Yes, I agree Psychicbody.

I am reading from a Marseille slant as I think about the card. For me, the imagery of the 'bleeding heart' would be more appropriate for a 'reversed 3 of Cups'.

I see an upright '3 of Swords' as a movement forward. Three's are growth and in this sense, it could be a time when a conscious decision is acted upon. In the physical world, it could be standing up for what you believe in, making yourself known, saying what is in your mind - something that maybe you felt you could not before because the timing was not right or the foundations for you to do this were not set. This is a masculine card and shows a move that is considered and has been debated within your own thoughts. If you were considering acting on something or have something to say, now is the time. If you were making plans, they are growing and need to be developed and not held on to. If you were holding back, now is a good time to release them steadily. It might be a time where clarity starts to come through and things make sense.

I see it as a time of acting on thoughts, maturing and development of your mind. A time to share ideas with others and communicate as part of a group.

Just a few ideas.

LB

Little Baron

Thirteen said:
If we take this as your body, then it could also be verbal communiation--problems with lips, tongue, vocal cords. If we want to get very "physical" with this, it might well imply an illness, like laryengetius (sp?), or just tripping over your tongue, finding yourself tongue-tied and unable to express yourself. The words are in your head, but your mouth just can't get them out.

As always, I really appreciate your work with the tarot Thirteen. Your interpretations are always very clear and make a lot of sense to me. Correct me if I am wrong, but thinking about what I have just said and the above quote, there is a similar idea regarding a move forward and need for release - finding a way to come to terms with something and the best way to execute it.

Best,
LB

Amenty14

Thanks to everyone for the help. I'm seeing a new side to the 3 of Swords and I like it more. It shows me that there is so much to learn about all cards, and so many sides to them.

Thirteen

LittleBuddha said:
thinking about what I have just said and the above quote, there is a similar idea regarding a move forward and need for release - finding a way to come to terms with something and the best way to execute it.
I think that's a very astute observation. I've certainly always seen 3/swords as a "release" card--the blood or poison that built up finally released. That 3/swords, as MercyMe pointed out, breaks a certain stalemate that's been going on and that's in tune with all 3's. The duality of 2's, is about balance, which is nice, but doesn't move you forward. Toss in a third item and you signal growth, change, movement or, as you say, release from the stalemate.

I think you're right that querent has to come to terms with this--either the best way to executing it or just dealing with what's happened. It's rather like the Tower--however upsetting, this thing that has happened has allowed for there to be a change in the status quo. And that, in the long run, can be a good thing.

wizzle

When I'm going up the deck....from 10's to 1's (as opposed to the normal driving down the deck), I think of the 3S as

1) the bittersweet in life
2) the need to let go of the ego in order to get to the Ace

It's only when I'm going down to the 10's that I use the normal 'heartbreak' sorts of interpretations. However, even in this case I agree that this is a card of the mind, primarily. The difficulty is that the mind can create difficulties where none actually exist. The anticipation of a problem is often worse than the problem itself and that can be a 3 of swords moment.

Al Si'ra

luv it!!

I love this card one of my favourites!! Although it's the "swords"; i see so much love&deep emotions in this card..I use the Rider Waite and in that deck as you all know it's raining...reminds me of the flowing of the feelings.."release" as many have already said..
Afterall "matters of heart" always bring joy and pain both at the same time ;)