3x7 or 2x10 ?

Amou

This question (in my opinion) ) appears to have a large significance in readings.Having read Jodorowsky's book I can easily see his associations between the cards in the 2x10 method. Camoin favours the 3x7 ,and this also has merits. Maybe it is all a personal choice,but as Camoin and Jodorowsky are united in their restoration of the Marseille deck it seems they differ on this fundamental question when reading their deck.
If anyone has any opinions as to which method serves the Marseille best I would much appreciate a reply !Thanks

Sumada

...Maybe it is all a personal choice...

That is the statement that rings truest for me.

After all, the trumps were only created to play an absorbing card game!

SweetIsTheTruth

Page 33 of this pdf shows the trumps ordered in columns, based on the Virtues (as found in the trumps). Each column of trumps is considered to be either bad, good or neutral. It's based on the method by a poster here named Melancholic, who came up with his methods based on historical research as to what the trumps most likely originally meant at the time of tarot's origins (or soon thereafter.)

It's neither 3x7 nor 2x10 but another ordering that you might find useful.

SweetIsTheTruth

It's not from a book. It is actually numerous posts from one thread here in the forums, compiled into a pdf, outlining Melancholic's methods of reading the pips, although it touched on the trumps as well. (And many, many thanks to those kind people who put all the information together in that pdf!)

The original thread is found here and that pdf is linked towards the end of the thread, on page 38 of the thread, post #373.

TdM lover

Not 'or' but 'and' ;-)

Hi Amou,

I followed the lessons with Camoin and red the book of Jodorowsky (several times :) I also ‘struggled’ with the question you ask here. I think the interpretations of both men do not exlude eachother. The cards are so rich in meanings that both schemes are usefull.
However, the 3x7 pattern is way more dense in meanings then the 2x10. There are for example a lot of links between the cards in one same column. Can you find for example the colomn of love ? (an easy one) ; the column of music ?; the column of speach ?
Since there are ‘themes’ for every column, knowing the 3x7 pattern is very usefull for me when I do readings.
I would advise you to take what you feel comfortable with and see every interpretation as a plus. Something that adds meaning instead of excluding.

Cheers,
TdM Lover

Amou

A big thank you !

Sumada,SweetIsTheTruth and TdM Lover.....THANK YOU ALL for all your help and useful links in answer to my question.
Certainly Camoins use of the 3x7 columns now makes things clearer...thanks TdM Lover!
So kind of you all to take the trouble to reply ! again my thanks.