8 of cups as outcome

Piper

Recently, the 8 of cups came up (Robin Wood deck) as the outcome card in the situation-advice-outcome of a spread. The more I thought of it, it came to me that instead of walking away from the entire situation, it could be pointing out that it was about forgiveness, walking away from the hurt I felt and forgiving the person.
Anyone else think this?

MysticalPhoenyx

Piper said:
Recently, the 8 of cups came up (Robin Wood deck) as the outcome card in the situation-advice-outcome of a spread. The more I thought of it, it came to me that instead of walking away from the entire situation, it could be pointing out that it was about forgiveness, walking away from the hurt I felt and forgiving the person.
Anyone else think this?

I do see that in the Eight of Cups too Piper. Letting go of the past, letting go of anger, letting go of hurt feelings. I look at this card as a kind of locked trunk, and when you open the trunk, the bad feelings slip out and you are free in a sense from them. Does that make sense? I know it's early and I'm not quite awake yet! I don't know the situation you're in, but in general, life is all about forgiveness and healing.

YDM42

I believe I have had that experince with the 8 of cups, especially when the reading started off with the 6 of cups. Clinging to the past. Sometimes I see the 8 of cups as just moving higher- instead of abandonment or walking away- I'm not really sure were I got that idea, but after seeing it repeatedly in the same situation- and the situation still existing, I was was prone to "understand" it as getting over "yet" another emotional hurdle- tied to the past or encountered along the way-always something higher though- some deeper understanding of ones emotions or emotional ties.

skitsokitty

that's a great interpretation! less negative and conclusive than 'walk away entirely'.

i used to think taking stock of past emotions then washing your hands free, turning your back and walking away completely, but yes forgiveness and getting over past hurt, but not entirely cutting yourself from the situation.

zach bender

eight cups does have to do with disengaging from your emotional entanglement in a situation, but to get all the way to forgivenness as an active force, I would want to see two cups as well.

zb

YDM42

Unfortunately in my experince there wasnt' an experience of moving towards forgiveness, hope I didnt imply that, but seeking something higher- meaning convinencing ones self that those feeling in 8 of cups may not be that important after all...and they become something one is willing to compromise to find something greater- maybe that wish in the 9 of cups (or wishful thinking- whichever is the case). It depends on the other cards.

In a relationship it could be moving past something you thought was a standard of "emotional fulfillment"- but it's not there --so you muster up your courage and strength (8) and move on into the nines. Same with the 8 of swords- (holding ones tounge or being bound by others expectations- maybe not saying something you thought was important to say), and 8 of wands, (which could be a quick conclusion or action bringing about a conclusion) or 8 of pentacles, (humbling oneself to learning a new skill vs. what one knows). - all the eights are about moving forward- seeking higher elevation.

Sofia Philo

YDM42 said:
Sometimes I see the 8 of cups as just moving higher- instead of abandonment or walking away- I'm not really sure were I got that idea, but after seeing it repeatedly in the same situation- and the situation still existing, I was was prone to "understand" it as getting over "yet" another emotional hurdle- tied to the past or encountered along the way-always something higher though- some deeper understanding of ones emotions or emotional ties.

Bingo! In a reading I did last night I couldn't understand the eight of cups as relationship past because there was just a major milestone in the realtionship which took it to a higher level. In my cards the man on the card is elevated. And the surrounding cards in the spread were the nine of cups, page pents and two of cups.