A few old designs;

MeeWah

Balsamo: Struck by their quiet intensity & brooding quality. They also seem expressive of a theme. Were these done with India ink, wash & watercolour?

Like depiction of The Fool as a hitchhiker. Clever use of road sign.

Ditto for The Magician as street musician.

Does one of the cards depict a homeless person?

Balsamo

Thank you.

The 5 of coins is a picture of a 'homeless' man, sleeping in a doorway - the numbers are a poster on the wall by his side.

Thank you for seeing that.

I'm dumbfounded by wonder - but at the time, I was a young man, and homeless.

Should I draw more of these ugly, urban, and violent cards?

Balsamo

I drew them with China Black, and a nice brush. The

The drawings look better than I remembered them; I'm making new pictures using the old pens, on new pAper.

Balsamo

And the fool is a portrait.

The day I went chasing snakes.

MeeWah

Urban Tarot

So they are an 'Urban Tarot'. I wondered if they were autobiographical.

Thanks for the clarification on the 5-Pentacles--a powerful image. Now that ye mention it, I can see the number 5 on it--good use of a poster on the wall, too--& struck as 5-Pentacles.

I do not see your cards as necessarily 'ugly, urban and violent', but reflective of life encounters & experiences. The act of creating can be very therapeutic & cleansing.

MeeWah

I think one of the cards depicts 7-Wands. It feels like a prison yard though does not really contain such references or details. Also feels like a riot in progress.

It seems expressive of 'us against them'.

The lone figure striding in the background appears to be clad in a suit but carrying a firearm. The combination of two disparate 'symbols' that allude to the veneer of civilization (the suit of clothes) versus the less civilized to violent (firearm & the sticks held by people in the foreground).

Btw: Please do continue with the deck! & post updates.