a very 'uncommon' stone

New River

i could use some help with a very uncommon stone that came into our possession several years ago.

it was found by two little boys in a gravel pit in close proximity to the Mounds state park in Illinois many years ago. they brought it to us because they knew of our fascination with stones in general.

it is about the size of a basketball, flat on the bottom then perfectly smooth domed shape. it has a hole on the top about an inch in diameter in the exact center. it has 3 dark rings alternating with 3 light colored rings around it's diameter. it is unusally heavy for it's size, it must weigh 20 lbs.

when you turn it over, it looks like something under it has been covered with a layer of clay, lapped over it like pie dough. very strange.

the circles around it are all perfect. it is as smooth as a river rock but feels like it is a different composition.

it feels like a sacred artifact to me. but we have found no one who has ever seen anything like it.

we had a kirlian photo taken of it and you can see 3 figures within it's violet aura. that took us aback a little!

i'm just wondering if any one here has ever heard of such a thing, seen something like it, anything.

we were told by the boys that they had taken it to some university and had geologists look at it and they told them it was a common occurrance to see stones like this in caves having been made by twirling under a stalagtite. i am less than convinced by this theory.

hoping for insight or help!

love and blessings,
New River

HudsonGray

Next time you go to Chicago call ahead to the Natural History Museum's geology dept. and make an appointment with the representative there to have him take a look at it. Museums do this for free, my dad had taken in what he thought was a stone Indian ax once only to have it identified as something else.

They'll be happy to tell you all they know, they don't get many members of the public looking for their expertise! I've called our local museum about a few things & had them happy to pass on info. (One case was how to debug feathers, another was a question on if they wanted a dead kildeer chick 3 days old for taxidermist use).

lunalafey

The cave idea sounds possible. Rocks are tumbled round and smooth by water and other rocks. The hole like this is caused by years of water dripping from above. The energy surrounding the rock could be from those who found and used it in healing ceremonies.

RAVENAL

uncommon stone

New River....
.....WOW...I'd really like to see that stone...I can usually tune into photos of rocks and stones and would like to try...can you post a photo...my brother lives in KY and owns many acres of farmland and mountains and quite a large stream...the land is always offering up artifacts from former cultures and he has had the local University authenticate and date much of what he and others have found there...as Hudson Gray states they were more than happy to do so... 3 or 4 cultures are represented from the stone age to more modern Native Americans...it was occuppied and used as campgrounds for it's flint and other stones...he has many buckets and boxes of stone tools and arrowheads...etc... and has had experiences on the land with visions of the stone age culture...I have some friends who also can get much information from photos...and we have been able to tune in to those who have handled stone tools...and other artifacts...it's fasinating...so would be happy to let you know what we come up with...

New River

Hudsongray,
good idea and something i think i will have to do to appease my own curiosity if nothing else. not too keen on the idea of schlepping around a twenty lb. stone on my next getaway to chicago but maybe a special trip could be arranged.

lunafey, i know the cave thing sounds plausible, but instead of being made in the cave i think it may have been stored in the cave away from the population. i don't think it was made that way. but hey, what the ? do i know?

ravenal, when i was posting this i was wishing i had a picture of it to post. my sister just got a new digital camera and i will be seeing her the end of this month. i'll take the stone and have her photograph it and post the pics.

i want others to see this amazing stone. if nothing else it is beautiful.

thanks all for your support.

love and blessings,
New River

coldsuns

Just a question..will any spirit be in that stone?? =X