About 640+ snips later...

Nevermore

My Thoth is trimmed!
I used big sharp garden scissors that we once used for grass cutting by walls, a corner rounder and a sander. I got a cheap pocket edition a while ago and trimmed my small edition so I really don't feel bad about losing borders.
The sander I bought was basically sand on a sponge because I couldn't find actual sandpaper that was small enough for my purpose. It worked fine, but after a while I really wore the edges and the cards look worn there, lumpy, fuzzy white instead of straight, crisp white. The art is intact though and for me I find the worn edges more appealing to my hands, like a deck of very old playing cards do.
Seriously, I recommend this. Get another deck if you feel guilty and chop away at one. The corner rounder will really help because the sharp edges will actually hurt. Get a tough hair tie or rubber band, tie your cards together and sand the sides. Put the band on the other two parallel edges and sand the other two. This will even things out well.
And if you're interested in this :
http://user.cyberlink.ch/~koenig/dplanet/stephen/claas/olive_e.html
you can use scans, digitally crop them (I used paint), download Orphalese tarot software, install it, then copy or cut and paste your folder of scans to c://>program files>orphalese>packs. Make your cards numbered 00-78 and have the back of the cards scan saved as "back"
It's not as hard as it looks, digitally or real life trimming. Try it out and ask me if you need help!

gregory

I did a (small) Thoth too ! the only one I ever trimmed and probably the only one I ever WILL trim - and with scissors; the only reliable way, I think..... (It WAS a duplicate though ! I could never do it to my only copy of ANYTHING....)

But I did NOT round the corners, or use a sander - it still looks pretty damn professional, though I say so myself. The cards don't hurt at all, or cut me ! And with square corners you can lay them out next to each other, for the Sacred Geometry stuff (not that I have, but I COULD !)

Nevermore

Yay!
I don't know...I found it really sharp and shuffling wasn't so easy and I was afraid to wear down those sharp corners. But then again it could be because my other decks are rounded. I'm still sanding the deck a bit around the edges so it's able to fit into a mint tin I have.

Abrac

Congrats on the newly-trimmed Thoth. That's also a great article about Olive Whicher and projective geometry you linked to. One more piece of the puzzle falls into place.