Afraid to use this deck...

MareSaturni

...because the cards are WAY too thin! I'm talking about the housewives tarot...i love the cards, but they don't seem to be resistent, so i'm afraid they'll bend/split the corners when i shuffle.

What do you do in such cases? I really want to use the deck, but not to destroy it!

:TPW Yuko

Grizabella

The deck has a matte finish, but they're quite sturdy. I think it was done this way on purpose so that they'd feel like old fashioned card stock like you'd put recipes on. I thought the same thing when I first got the deck, but they're quite durable. Just use them and enjoy them!

Emeraldgirl

I agree. i have had mine for a few months now and have noticed that they are wearibng quite well and a good deal better them some of my sturdier feeling decks.

Eco74

Shuffle gently..

The cards feel pretty strong and resilient to me. But then I use the "insertion method" when shuffling and wouldn't use the "vegas shuffle" (riffle shuffle?) for any of my decks..
Often thin cards are both flexible and strong.

MareSaturni

Thanks people! I'll shuffle gently then but...doesn't this kind of cardstock split the corners very easily? They seem too, but maybe they're more resistent than i thought...

Kaylee Marie

That's odd, I must own a different printing. My Housewives are super thick and strong! They aren't very flexible and actually hurt my hands if I shuffle for a long time.

MareSaturni

Kaylee Marie said:
That's odd, I must own a different printing. My Housewives are super thick and strong! They aren't very flexible and actually hurt my hands if I shuffle for a long time.

How weird! I bought mine from amazon...it's the one that comes inside the cure recipe box. Maybe you've got a limited version? The cardstock of mine looks pretty much like those cards of the 50s, i think to go along with the deck's theme. The cards aren't, like, paper sheet thin but they are THAT resistent either. They are very flexible.

What's the ISBN of yours?

Kaylee Marie

ISBN 1-931686-99-8. These are also in the cute recipe box.

A friend picked these up for me at a funky furniture store in Philadelphia. The place doesn't normally sell tarot decks. In fact, this was the only one they had. Seemed to just be a fluke that they were even there. I think they bought the Housewives Tarot as a decoration for a kitchen set and didn't really expect to sell it.

The deck measures about 1 & 1/8 inches thick. I guess the cards are thinner than I remembered, but they're definitely super strong and don't bend easily. And I've shuffled them a lot and they just aren't loosening up! Maybe I should invest in some fanning powder...

The cards are rather roughly cut (they're all slightly different sizes with nubs left over from when the cards were separated at the printer), so that probably contributes to my aching hands.