Any Interest In a Toon Tarot?

Tomsde

I just wanted to throw this out there, but I was wondering if there would be any interest in a 3D Toon Tarot? Now that I've got my computer completely restored and have resumed doing some work with 3D graphics programs I want to start up again with Tarot creation. Several years ago I'd started creating a new Gay Tarot Deck with contemporary scene's. At first this project was warmly received--but after a while people didn't like the direction I was taking the deck and it made me a bit frustrated with the project and so I set it aside. I wanted to create a deck that people would want to use and buy or collect, that would be significantly different to the other gay decks currently on the market.

Since then I've become attracted to sme 3D Toon characters and realized their potential to make a contemporary straight tarot with cute figures. I've seen time and again that people on the forum here seem to like cute--although some are more attracted to Tarots with darker themes. If I undertake this project it would involve the outlay of a somewhat large amount of money to amass the Toon characters with enough diversity to do a whole deck. Although I have some Toon models to work with, they varry significantly in style, so to do this project I'd have to invest in characters that had a consistent appearance for this theme. I would also include some whimsical animals. Perhaps need to work up some prototypes to give you an idea of what I have in mind.

My ultimate goal is to have a project that's creatively satisfying to me, but also something marketable.

What do you think?

starlightexp

For me it takes ALLOT to get into a 3D rendered tarot. If the images are trying to be a photo realistic vision of the normal word and not a more stylized one. That being said, it could be a fun project to watch. I am not familiar with the process of 3D rendering so would be very interested in reading how you make the images and the ideas behind things. Have you stopped work on your other deck?

AJ

Tom, good to see you posting. I don't think a project the size of 78 anythings could be finished unless the artist was making it for her/himself. It would seem like several years work, or many months full time and you'd be short changing yourself trying to make it 'something everyone would like and buy' :) You've been here long enough to know there isn't any consensus.
It also depends on where we are in our journey. there was a time I bought every single deck i didn't already have
Then I started hunting down themes, like cat decks. all gone now.
All LoS decks. That didn't last long
Pips decks. Don't think I have any of those anymore.

I guess what I'm saying is as a quilter, never would I accept a commissioned project based on the buyers wishes. I wouldn't last 3 days and I'd be bored to death, and feel like my brain was being strangled.

all that said I haven't a clue what a 3-D card would look like. Would the reader and querent need to wear special glasses? Or would it be like those plastic toys where the figures move when the image is moved? I'm really curious!

Tomsde

When I say 3D I mean artwork that is created with software that creates an illusion do depth. Another was of saying it is CG, and it is used in movies like Tin Tin, Toy Story, and the Incredibles. No glasses required.

I actually like these toon characters, and though that they would make a great deck, but I still have a lot of thoughts about the deck I already started. I guess whatever I do I should let other people discourage me.

I know there is no consensus, generally speaking, and I wouldn't expect everyone to like it. I also know it would takes months or years to complete, the court card I've already done took a long time. Well expect to see new from me soon, whether it be starting up with the old or doing something totally new.

HudsonGray

Your own creation? Or using characters from Warner Brothers, Disney, etc.? It would be expensive trying to get licensing permission for each character.

If they were your own, they would have to be of a style that others found cute. Right now that seems to fall in the category of Manga/Anime with the stylized faces/clothes/eyes.

Tomsde

I own a large library of customizable 3D models which are licensed for personal and commercial uses. If you ever have seen Lo Scarabeo's Pictorial Key Tarot, they used models with which I'm very familiar. There is almost an endless array of ways in which these characters can be customized and used. In fact a forth coming deck, the Deck of Heros uses such models. The difference between the Tarot deck I'm working on and these others is that mine is contemporary, the Pictorial Key is traditional and it looks like Heros will be more mythic. Actually I thought the toons would be fun to work with, but I've already put a lot of work into the deck I already started.

At this point I'm leaning towards resuming work on my old deck, but there's nothing to say I can't do a toon themed deck in the future.

Tiddles

I think it sounds fun, but I don't tend to like many of the decks that are popular around here. The way you're describing it makes it sound like something I would be into though.

Ashtaroot

Sounds interesting to me... If you show us one card so we can get an idea...but so far I'm in cause I know my boys would love it... I am always dreaming to have a WB or a Disney tarot deck.. So your toon would be close enough right?
Go for it:thumbsup:

Tomsde

I'll see if I can produce a mock up of what I'm considering; the toon characters would be more generic--no known characters. Since I've actually not purchased the models I would be using, I can't do an example using them. I do have some toons in my library that would suit for an example I'm sure.