Author Monica Wood on using Tarot to write "My Only Story"

Glass Owl

While searching on google, I found an online interview at randomhouse.com with Monica Wood regarding her novel, "My Only Story." I haven't read it but it looks really good. (If any of you have read it, please respond with your reviews.) The main character reads Tarot cards and the author mentions in this interview that she reads cards for her fictional characters.

randomhouse.com said:
AM: You read Tarot cards for yourself and friends, as Rita does in My Only Story. Do you ever use the cards to help you with your writing?

MW: I read Tarot cards for my fictional characters. I read Rita's cards many times, whenever I got stuck. There's nothing magical about the cards. They won't show you something you don't already know subconsciously, but occasionally they can save you some time. For example, I did Rita's cards at one point, and the Knight of Swords kept showing up, galloping on a horse at full speed and waving his sword. (Swords represent challenges or problems in life.) At the same time the card of childhood kept showing up. I finally put two and two together and thought, Darla has to come back into this story but in a really swooping way. And she did. I'd have come to that decision eventually, but it might have taken six months and a few dead ends, because I never intended to have Darla be a big part of the book. The cards have a way of jogging little spaces in the unconscious that have been asleep too long.