Back to Basics, or One Card Spreads

Aerin

Recently, and especially when I have had the temptation to go for a Celtic Cross or somesuch I have been using just one card.

I find that it forces me to really think through all the nuances of the card, whereas in a Celtic Cross or whatever I can sometimes rush past a card taking the one meaning that 'fits' and maybe miss things in the process. So I still ask all the aspects of a question, just applied to the one card.

I wondered if anyone else has views on this. I'm finding, if nothing else, it gets me deeper into each card.

Aerin

Diana

I find one-card spreads very hard to read. I can't connect them to anything. And as I don't shuffle my deck so that the cards come out reversed, it is not easy then for me to intuit whether the card should be read "reversed" or not.

Two-card spreads to me are easier to read, because there is some kind of balance. I find they have more equilibrium.

fairyhedgehog

I admire people who can work from only one card. I prefer at least three, because I tend to work best looking at the position of a card and to some extent the relationship with other cards in the spread.

And I really like the Celtic Cross <ducks all the hurled missiles :) >

Aerin

I like the CC too :)

I find myself looking at the elements within the card as representing different aspects of the question... if that makes any sense

My natural home is a 3 card spread I think. One card is stretching and fun.

Aerin

Baby Owl

I have had phenomenal results from a one-card draw on occasion but in general, I agree with others that 2 or 3 cards are most useful. I also use the larger spreads if the issue seems to lend itself to that.

Baby Owl

jog1118

3-5 cards for me...

just last friday, i wanted to try a tree of life spread...guess what happened?...MENTAL BLOCK!!!...well back to basics...

:smoker:

Aerin

I have just noticed that Holmes is doing some excellent one card readings in the Reading Exchange section, extending the one card using numerology. So I thought I'd say :)

Aerin