Bargain Bach rescue remedy

Kyrielle

This evening I was browsing at the local health food store, and found Nelson-Bach Rescue Remedy, on sale at 50% off.

They had two styles: a 10 ml bottle that lists the dosage as four drops in a small glass of water or on the tongue, and a 20 ml spray bottle that you spritz twice on your tongue. Is one style more effective than the other, or is it just a matter of preference?

When I did a search, I found a couple threads where Diana says the remedies do not ever expire. But the spray bottle I looked at had an expiration date on it: November 2007. At 50% off, should I invest in a couple of bottles if they really do not lose effectiveness?

The store also had a large book for sale called "The Encyclopedia of Bach Flower Therapy." The author's name was complicated, and I think sounded German. It's not on the list on the Bach Centre website, but it looked pretty complete to me (but I don't know much about the remedies yet). Has anyone heard of this book? Would it be a good supplement to Bach's own books, or does his work stand alone?

I've heard a lot about the Bach remedies and I am curious about trying them for myself.

-- Kyrielle

TemperanceAngel

Hi Kyrielle!

I am uncertain what Nelson-Bach remedies are, are they the same as Bach?

I would think that maybe due to licensing/legal reasons they may have to put an expiry date on?

As long as they ae kept in a cool place, out of sun light/light they will and should last for eternity!

XTAX

Astraea

As Diana explained it to me, Nelsons makes the Bach flowers now. Healing Herbs makes a series of 38 remedies that are Bach formulae, but for contractual reasons they can't use the Bach name. I think I did hear somewhere that the expiration date is indeed only a legal matter, TA.

Kyrielle, the book you mention is a good one. 50% off is a great deal on the essences -- I say go for it!

Diana

Astraea: Nelsons lost their case against Healing Herbs in 2000. The High Court overturned their appeal.

They are no longer allowed to trademark Bach's name. :) A victory of a small company over a big company. Unusual in today's world.

The final judgement can be read here:

http://www.fesflowers.com/bach_Lords.htm

Expiry date is, as Astraea said, for legal purposes. It's the same with homeopathy. I have homeopathic remedies in my cupboard that have an expiry date of 1992. But I am pretty certain they're just as potent as they were then.

I prefer the drops to the spray. The spray can be very useful for plants and animals though, as well as for spraying in the room if one finds the need.

The book you're talking about, if the author is Mechtild Scheffer, get the book!! I didn't know her books had been translated. I think she's Swiss actually. Vast vast knowledge she has. I read and re-read her books all the time. If her books are not on the Bach web-site I think there was some trouble between her and them... but I'm not sure of the details.

Kyrielle

Thanks for the advice. I'm going out to get some Rescue Remedy and probably also the book today.

There is also a Rescue Remedy cream, which has the same essences as the liquid with the addition of Crab Apple. Could you put a few drops of the liquid on your skin and have that work about as well?

How would you use the Rescue Remedy in a room? To clear the tension when there's been a recent accident or stressful situation? Or is there another reason?

-- Kyrielle

Diana

The drops on the skin could hurt if there is an open wound or a scratch. There is alcohol in them. So if you want to use it on the skin, dilute a few drops in water and dab on with cotton wool.

The cream has the extra Crab Apple which is excellent for skin conditions and is really very soothing.

Crab Apple can be used alone (diluted in water of course) for adolescent pimples and acne.

For rashes, a few drops of it in the bath water can help as well.

Yes, a bit of Rescue Spray in the air can clear the air if there is tension, because you're kind of breathing it in. But it's not as effective as taking drops orally in my opinion. But maybe I will change my opinion one day, who knows....

Zorya once said that Rescue Remedy should be made by the gallon! It is so wonderful.

Astraea

Diana, I'm just delighted to learn that Healing Herbs won the day! Thank you very much for this information, and providing the link.