Best Cardstock???

Callistabell

I am wondering what weight cardstock would produce the best card. I'm about to self publish my first deck and I know that the decision of what paper to use is a biggy. It'll be printed locally (at least that's the plan right now) on a laser printer. I've got some 110 lb. and it doesn't seem thick enough to stand up to any wear, but I don't know what it'll be like once it's printed on. (maybe stronger, I don't know.) I'm sure that this is the perfect place to ask all of you with experience in this matter. What do you think?

Colly34

I've just printed using a ink jet on 300gsm which I believe is approx. 140lb.
The cards I cut were 2.5x3.5in.
The size of your cards will effect how they feel of course, but I must say when this 300gsm paper arrived It was in A4 sheets and I was disappointed as I expected it to feel thicker.
However, when I printed and cut the cards I was very happy with the result.

I wanted card that when cut to size and held in the hand didn't have a slight curve, know what I mean? I wanted the cards to look straight. I've printed and cut this card to larger size and it still lays flat and feel sturdy.

So I guess what I'm saying is: I would use 300gsm/140lb again or thicker.

Hope this helps.

Callistabell

Thanks, it does. I'm thinking right now, that I'm going to go with a laser printer so i'm not sure if it will take the 300, but I'm going to keep looking into it. I might just order some of that and look at it before deciding. :) thanks again.

OnePotato

Hello Callistabell

Try this:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz133/07/

I used it on my deck.
I like vellum, but you might like plate.
It's slightly smoother.

It's excellent stuff.
Two-ply is a very good weight.
Perfect for inkjet.
Acid free, so it won't brown.
Various sized pads, so you can pick one that fits your printer.