Book of Doors

Sophie

I first encountered this deck a couple of years ago in South Africa, when my Reiki teacher showed it to me. I was interested, but not grabbed. I forgot about it.

Lately, I've been getting into Ancient Egypt - and more particularly the religion, spirituality and philosophy of that long-lasting, ever-fascinating African culture. So naturally I turned back to the Book of Doors, and bought a copy for myself. Have had it for a week now.

It has several qualities, in my view. Firstly, it's beautiful, and symbolically very rich. The symbolism is complex and needs explation - and for the most part the well-written book delivers.

Secondly, as a divination deck, it works, at least for the great questions. I would not use it for fortune-telling, but for Divination - communicating with the Divine about which direction life is taking - then most definitely I do. It is organised in a simple but effective way - 8 groups of 8 deities, simplifying the incredibly complex pantheon without betraying it.

Thirdly, as a teaching tool for the Kemetic pantheon and the basic ideas behind the Kemetic religion (as it evolved over 4000 years), it serves as a useful introduction. The book contains a lot of symbols, a short presentation of the 64 Neterus on the cards (gods), the key principles behind the religious impulse and practices of the Ancient Egyptians and some mythology - not enough to my taste, but then I like stories, they are an important part of the way I see and understand the world, including the Great Universal Spiritual Truths (GUST...because like gusty wind, they blow everywhere and tend to blow in spurts rather than constantly). The deck and book can certainly serve as a stepping stone to more study and spiritual discovery of that fascinating religion/civilisation/philosophy - and to what it gave birth that still exists with us.

It's not a deck that can be used purely intuitively out of the box - it needs study, knowledge and a certain life-wisdom to use well. But that's not to say intuition is redundant, quite the opposite -if, like me, you have an affinity with Kemet, then you will take to this deck like a crocodile to the Nile ;)

I've been practicing using it to read for others on the Oracles games threads - that allows me to see what it works for, and what it doesn't. Some questions are perfect for this kind of deck, some not so much. With a few exceptions - fitting the deity in question - there aren't a lot of jokes in this deck. I don't know if that really mirrors the Ancient Egyptians - I tend to think no civilisation would last 4000 years without a massive sense of humour. I guess it's just our distance and reverence that prevent us from including jokes in decks about the religion of Ancient Egypt. Given how all-pervasive the religion was in Kemet, I can't help thinking that there was more than just the god Bes to laugh about (or with!)

Another shortcoming is that, necessarily, many of the nuances of that convoluted pantheon are lost, although to be fair, the book explains some of them. For instance, it would be impossible to show in card form that Sekhmet is a form of Hathor as well as Bast, yet has a strong independent role; that Wadjet is associated closely both with Isis - in her sorceress role - and to Hathor, in her role as mother of the Pharaoh, who gives power (through the Cobra on the forehead) to the Pharaoh, and through him, to the whole of Egypt. That Hathor is mother and wife of Horus, but Isis is also mother of Horus. That Hathor is both a stellar goddess and a solar one, and has many faces (cow, snake, lion, sycamore, malachite, etc. etc.). Some of this is explored in the book, and some isn't -to be able to say it all would have made the book 10 times as long.

The authors explain these transmutations as alchemy, and indeed, the subtitle of the deck is "an alchemical deck of Ancient Egypt"; another way of seeing them is as shamanic shapeshifting - not that far removed from alchemy, though alchemy is a little more savant. Without doubt Ancient Egypt is the mother and father of the later developments in Hellenic, Western and Arabic Alchemy - the question remains as to how alchemical the religion actually was.

These are minor niggles - and alchemy is an interesting take, I think, as well as a glance towards the direction that the Hermetic Corpus was to take later.

In short - I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in Ancient Egypt, in the Western Mysteries, and anyone with a spiritual interest generally. It is rich and rewarding and it introduces us to concepts that not only gave birth to just about every spiritual and philosophical ideas and practices Africa, the Middle East and Europe have ever known, but stand on their own very well, many thousands of years after they were first thought of. I would also recommend it to people who like their oracles with a bit more meat than usual and want to deepen their divination experience. It satisfies the intellect and the spirit, which is a rare treasure.

faunabay

I had this deck for quite a few years. I used it for monthly readings. It worked very well for that, but I didn't use it for anything else. So when I stopped doing the monthly readings I traded it away. I did really like it though. Very nice deck, but like you said - I definitely needed the book. I couldn't read it at all intuitively, but the book meanings were always spot on for me.

Sophie

Well, I am finding (after a week) that my readings are half-studied, and half intuitive - that is, I first look at the image and form a first impression, then I read the book, and finally I return to the image and apply what I have seen and read intuitively to the question. I have hopes that once I've integrated the book and digested it, the interpretations will flow more naturally. The images do convey quite a bit of the meaning - Seth, for instance, doesn't look at all friendly, and with all that red, you know there's anger and destruction in the offing; Bast looks friendly, enigmatic, playful and occasionally catty - as befits a cat goddess. So at a pinch, you could interpret these without knowing the first thing about the Kemetic pantheon or its key concepts; but you get much more out of the deck if you do use the book and read around the topic as much as possible, and in terms of Divination, it will deepen your readings to think about the positives of the destructive face of Seth, as well as its obvious negatives or to see in Bast another face of Sekhmet or of Hathor - both destructive and sensual, mother and destroyer, lover and bitch.

Sophie

As I work with it, and read the book a bit more, I am beginning to understand the alchemical associations rather better (apart from the fact that Ancient Egypt itself - Khem or Kemet - gave its name, via the Arabs, to alchemy...Al-Kemit). Not only the Ancient Egyptians had mastered the art of extracting, transforming and working metals, the religion itself had integrated an alchemical view of the world. Although that alchemy touched everyone, only the initiates of the various Mysteries were able to practice it actively (as opposed to passively, like the rest of us plebs :D). It explains a lot about the whole process of mummification, for instance, as well as nearly all known Egyptian political/social/religious ritual.

In a divination deck, it becomes a fantastic tool for understanding the forces at work on one's life, where in the process of transformation we are, and how we can become more active in the alchemy of our own lives.

I'm becoming daily more in love with and in awe of this deck.

silverwings94

I just ordered this deck and can't wait to delve into the mysteries of the Egyptian Pantheon. My personal Goddess is Sekhmet and I have loved all of the Egyptian mysteries since I was a small child. I hope to learn alot more when my deck comes
Kat

Sophie

Oh you will, Silverwings!

I hope you find it as interesting as I do.

Now - I have to add something to my (ongoing) review. The Egyptian pantheon, mythology, although it did remain consistent throughout its 4000+ year of history, also had many variants and cycles over time. Many of the stories or customs mentioned in that book about Auset (Isis) were originally Het-Her (Hathor) stories, and vice-versa. Sekhmet has been seen as a facet of Het-Her (as the Eye of Ra), or as a separate goddess, and she herself "absorbed" other lion-headed goddesses; Uadjit (Wadjet) has been variously seen as a separate goddess or as a facet of either Isis or Hathor or both, either way, as crucial to the power of Pharaoh.

Contemporary authors will choose their favourite version, which might vary from mine or from yours. As long as we remember that the sources themselves vary, that over 4000 years and in a territory as large as Egypt and its zones of influence there will be variations and preferences, and that the Neteru remain as unique, eternal divine energies whatever story is preferred, we can work with them as they come to us. I am finding it more and more awe-inspiring to work with these energies directly in my life, and not only as objects of study and comparison.

It's almost frightening how well the Ancient Egyptians had understood Divine Power, its influence on us, its intimacy and its indwelling in all there is, in all cycles of life, in the universe - and beyond.

I was more familiar with the Greek pantheon - but that pales in comparison with the total Egyptian world-view, so well-balanced between male and female, between life and death, night and day, creation and destruction, joy and sadness, celebration and work, humour and seriousness - yet with a unity about its vision that we can only aspire to in our fractured world.

silverwings94

Egyptian History is so fascinating and mysterious at the same time. It has a way of pulling you toward the unknown. I only wish I could go there and walk through this beautiful land and experience the hidden mysteries that are still there today. Just to be able to see the pyramids and Spinx in person just onece would be my dream. Then again, maybe I did walk those sands before and just don't remember it. I have an Egyptian Mau who is my familiar and we are very bonded. It as if he can read my mind sometimes. When ever I watch anything on tv that has to do with Egypt, he is right there beside me watching also, maybe remembering his past anscestors as well.
Kat

Sophie

I'd love to visit Egypt too... and I will, one day. I've made a date for myself!

Your Mau sounds adorable.

silverwings94

I received my deck today and it is just stunning. I started to read the book and it is so fascinating I don't want to put it down. I can tell that this is going to be a very interesting and intensive study.
How long have you been working with it?
Kat

Patrick Booker

Nice to see someone else is using this. I bought a copy about a year ago, but lost interest in it. I've come back to it recently though, more for meditation than divination. It seems to link up to all sorts of areas that I am interested in. I've found Stephen Mehler's books most help on Egypt. Athon Veggi has a website in Italian, but Google does a (very) rough translation.