Bruegel Tarot - Ten of Pentacles

contrascarpe

At the request of Ros, this is the next card for the Bruegel study.

Like all cards in the deck (especially the high numbered ones), this card is very busy. I have not read the proverb yet as I describe what I see (proverb to come later).

I feel as if this card draws heavily on mythology so I will apologize up front. As a youngster, I was enthralled with the myths - whether it be Roman, Greek or Norse. However, I never followed through to learn, so I will weigh heavily on others here to fill in the gaps.

In the forefront, the scene revolves around three of our ten people. An elderly person (I want to say a man, but it may be a woman) appears to have a crippling disease and could be on the verge of emaciation. A finely dressed nobleman smiles down on him/her, offering a loaf of bread (reminiscent of the six of pentacles in RWS). Another person, presumably female, faces the nobleman and is smiling. She is also holding a fine velvet robe which brushes the poor soul below. A slipper-like shoe is also on the ground in front of the beggar. The woman also has a painted face, much like the mime.

To me this scene depicts three key traits - want, generosity and greed. Maybe a reminder that we should not take what we have for granted?

The middle scene shows the next four characters. A person dressed in a blue (or is it green? I am color-blind remember) is waving at two people coming toward us in the distance - an older man carrying an hourglass on his back (father time?) and a figure totally in white, leading a white horse. If my mythology memories are correct, this is Mercury (although the wings are on his hat and back, not his feet apparently). Could this be a reminder to slow down? Time passes quickly enough, do not rush things. The fourth figure in our little drama is a fat man with long hair who appears to be drinking heavily.

In the back of this scene, we see two structures. A small thatched roof house to the right where two distant figures appear to bringing in either sacks of food or jugs of water/wine. The second structure far off in the distance is an ominous castle standing on a rocky mountain. Between these two structures is a small volcano with fire rising but a chubby demon-like figure with deer horns stands in the middle and is waving toward us. The sky in the background goes from bright (on the horizon) to cloudy, to downright ominous.

My initial reaction is that you are at a time in your life where you need to take stock. Have you been generous? Perhaps you are needy? Or greedy? What are the consequences of your actions. Did your hard work in life lead you to a nice serene time in your little thatched home, or are you heading for that volcano.

Father Time reminds us that we still can change things. If we have been too self-centered, time to start giving of yourself. Conversely if you have been giving, take some time for yourself. Life is a balance.

Now the proverb from the LWB: Divinatory Meaning - Wealth, Reputation. To become rich, one must have a relative that lives with the devil (Wealth is never honest).

Dan

spoonbender

10 of Pentacles

Looking at this card, I get the feeling it invites us to reflect on the different aspects of money...

I was struck by the old person in the left corner of the card, clearly underfed and poor, and bent in a horrible way. A nobleman is trying to help and hands him/her bread, though I doubt how much good that will do. It seems that this scene is asking us to think about how we share what we’ve got with others.

I don't think the person dressed in yellowish white is facing the nobleman, it looks like (s)he is praying and it seems that (s)he has put on a mask of some sort, as if trying to make him-/herself look pious and sweet. Seen in the context of the other scenes in this card, I really get the feeling this person is praying for more money... I see this as an invitation for us to think about what we’ve already got, what we want and what we really need.

That man in green with his big beer belly, sitting on a chair (I think) and drinking from a bottle, doesn't look quite happy either. It shows yet another form of want and need.

A person dressed in blue [yes, Dan, it's blue! unless I'm colourblind too :)] is looking away from us and is putting out his/her hand, as if he/she’s stopping someone or, as you suggested Dan, waving. This person appears to be the only one on the card who sees the scene further away: a mythic man, muscled and pure white, approaches, leading forth a horse. Until I read your post, Dan, I thought the horse was winged (Pegasus??), but it looks like it could just as well be the man. Like you, I also had to think of Hermes here... An old man with an hourglass on his back stands bent and points up his finger, as if he’s making something clear. I think he’s asking us to think about the relativity of money and about what we’ll leave behind for future generations. Maybe that's where Hermes fits in; maybe he enters here in his role as guide to the underworld? Like a wake-up call? Maybe that's why it's a person in blue who can see them: colour of spirituality? What do you think?

Further away stand two men who are holding large jars or sacks. It looks like they are bringing the supplies to the little house, probably ensuring their resources for the upcoming winter (it is autumn on the card after all). This scene shows prudence and care, and shows the practical side of the Pentacles.
A chubby devil with antlers is waving at the two men from up the top of his fiery volcano. Perhaps he wants the two men to follow him and leave the sacks? But the two men don’t listen to him; they are careful with their resources and work hard to ensure their security. I liked how you put it, Dan: "Did your hard work in life lead you to a nice serene time in your little thatched home, or are you heading for that volcano?"

Any thoughts? I'd like to get some feedback!

Spoonbender

contrascarpe

Spoonbender -

I tried replying to your PM but your mailbox is full.

Your observations are very interesting. That is the beauty of this deck - so many interpretations. Hopefully others will join us along the way.

I like your take on Hermes. I never thought of him that way, but it just solidifies one of the themes I see on this card. Between him, Father Time and the Demon, there are constant reminders that we need to take stock in our life NOW! We need to see what direction we are taking because the final path we take is one that has been chosen due to the life we have led.

I feel that when I see this card in a reading, I am going to believe that it is a card of introspection.

Dan