Changes to study groups

Sulis

Hi folks,

I've just got back from a weekend away to find loads of PMs asking where various study groups have gone :)

Many of the study groups which had their own sub-forum have been put back into the main study groups forum, this is all part of study group tidy up.

RWS and Thoth have been moved to the Historical section.

Gay Tarot, Fey Tarot, Tarot of Prague and Faeries Oracle have kept their own sub-forums but the other groups have been put back in what used to be General Study Groups and is now Tarot Study Groups.
So many groups were becoming elligable for their own sub-forums that they were becoming unmanagable.

The index of Study groups thread will need updating to add these groups so if you notice that a group you are interested in has no index thread could you please let me know so I can sort it out?
Here is a link to the main index thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=34124
I've just added the index for the Vargo Gothic study group.

Solandia has put a note in the announcements forum http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=451262#post451262

Love

Sulis xx
moderator - Tarot Study Groups

Alissa

Why???

editted to add: I'm not being facetious this time. I really don't understand why a half dozen "less active forums" should be destroyed, the material disorganized and effectively lost in the massive Tarot Groups Forum slush pile.

annik

Alissa have a good question. I must admit I wonder what is the logic behind the change. Once I understand the reason, it will probably be better to accept it.

Sulis

I started this thread to let people know where the sub-forums had gone not to start a discussion on whether things should have been changed or not.

You ask 'why' but the groups are still there, just in a different place.

Solandia has decided that it would be easier to have one main study group forum. Very busy groups (the one's mentioned in my post) still have their own sub-forums. The groups are still accessible via the index thread which I am in the middle of updating.

Sulis xx

Alissa

Sulis, I realize fully you're wanting to inform, and I realize this is not your decision to make, only yours to inform and "enforce." The mods catch all the crap, I know.

But as adults AT members also want to know why things are changed, not just "because I said so." Thank you for providing some reasons. Perhaps with more moderators, the groups wouldn't have to be lost after all? If they weren't "very active" then they won't require much time or work from a moderator to oversee.

What criterion did Solandia use to determine if a group was "active?" I posted often to the Gothic forum, even just a few days ago, and it still got destroyed. It was certainly active.

Sulis

Alissa said:
I posted often to the Gothic forum, even just a few days ago, and it still got destroyed. It was certainly active.

Hi Alissa,

The Gothic group hasn't been destroyed. None of the study groups have. They've just been moved.

Love

Sulis xx

Alissa

A difference of view... the Gothic forum no longer exists. Therefore I say "destroyed."

I know the material is all there. But so were all the spreads I indexed in Spreads. Nothing was "lost" but not being able to locate material effectively is the same as "lost" in my librarian mind. The material was organized, and now it's not.

So to me, I say "lost" and "destroyed." I realize it's extreme vocabulary, but this was a nasty shock to Gothic (and other study group) fans.

souljourney

One of the biggest problems I see is that even though Sulis will put a link to the main study group thread...most of those "indexes" don't get updated. For example... the Housewives group isn't up to date along with several others.
And the only person who can update those are the original poster OR a mod.
Seems like to really keep this up-to-date might actually be more work for the mods. Either by updating on their own or all sorts of people PMing them asking to update the main study group/index thread.
I am going to mirror what Alissa and others have said... I don't like this disorganization. I had thought this one of the best layed out sites...especially for study.
If this a question of space/technical issues... what needs to been done to change it? Is there anything?
SJ

annik

Sulis said:
I started this thread to let people know where the sub-forums had gone not to start a discussion on whether things should have been changed or not.

You ask 'why' but the groups are still there, just in a different place.

Sulis xx

I don't question the decision. I just wanted to understand what lead to the decision. On the other hand, the change seems to have cause some minor disturbances. I just find it sad the change cause them.

Is there possible to organize the threads on the study group? It is pretty hectic to my eye, especially since it is a very big place with a lot of posts. It can be blame on my new part-time job in a librairy. What I have learned in college are kicking back in full force! (-:
There must be something that would ease the organization of this big chunk of knowledge.

Sulis

Hi Folks,

I just want to address a couple of things;

souljourney said:
One of the biggest problems I see is that even though Sulis will put a link to the main study group thread...most of those "indexes" don't get updated. For example... the Housewives group isn't up to date along with several others.
I agree, Souljourney, this is one of the biggest problems but there is a very easy answer: If you are part of a study group and you want an index that is up to date then either make sure that the person who started the index thread adds new threads as they are posted OR send me a PM with the link to the thread and I will add it to your index thread for you - no problem.

annik said:
Is there possible to organize the threads on the study group? It is pretty hectic to my eye, especially since it is a very big place with a lot of posts.
I have been trying to do this with the index threa which appears as a sticky at the top of the Study Groups forum; http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=34124
Click on the name of the group you want to see - most of the active groups are now linked in the index. The link will take you to the study group you want to go to.

Could I also add that if anyone has any questions regarding administrative or moderating decisions please do not use the forums to discuss them. Contact either Forum admin or the moderating team directly.

Thankyou

Sulis