Complete Arthurian Set vs. Legend Arthurian Kit

Aeric

I don't own an Arthurian deck and I'm debating these two book sets by Matthews and Ferguson. I like the art and the context of both. Both appear to be advanced, with a required knowledge of the story instead of reading the cards straight from the box.

How would you set one over the other? How do their books compare?

Beanfeasa

I can only comment on the Ferguson set.
The stories chosen for each card, still follow traditional RWS. But this does mean that the is no story following through from start to end, it jumps from one stage to the next. This wasn't a problem for me, as I grew up with the mythology.
The lwb is very good at giving just enough of the story as to help you see the connection but not enough to confuse you if you are unfamiliar with the stories.
If it makes any difference, it is one of the most stunningly beautiful decks I have ever seen.

Le Fanu

I prefer the Matthews one. Its use of the undulating English landscape is so mesmerising and gives the deck real character. It feels so much more in touch with the myth and the earth than the Ferguson one, which I found pallid and too Hollywoody. It has nothing of the Englishness I associate with the Arthurian legends. I sold it on in my local shop...

Padma

I also much, much prefer the Matthews one. Get the book, too. Solid treatment of this historical subject, and the cards are much more attractive! Only caveat is big ugly border on the Matthews deck, everything is seen through a Medieval window arch - but still, hands down a better deck in all respects than the Ferguson.

nisaba

I haven't seen the Ferguson one, but I love the Matthews one. I particularly love the treatment of the Minors, which after all are hugely important, being most of the deck.

Get it.

Bookwight

I have both and much much much prefer the Matthews one.

The Ferguson book bases its stories on the mediaeval versions of the Arthurian mythos, therefore including a lot of French influence. It's well-enough written but fairly standard as a guidebook, though with the addition (at least in my copy) of a poem for every Major. The artwork, while pretty, is as LeFanu said rather Hollywoody.

The Matthews book uses earlier Celtic sources of the mythos and feels much more scholarly and mythic. It has a depth to it that the Ferguson just doesn't have. If you buy the anniversary edition (in the green box) — which I highly recommend, by the way, as the card backing is nicer IMO, plus the white border is gone, leaving only that black arch Padma mentioned — then the book combines not only the original guidebook but also a year-long course for working with the cards, previously printed separately. Lots of info and depth in that little tome. And the artwork really does capture the feel of the English countryside. Plus the people are less prettified and the costumes are more historical.

…But I am biased. The Matthews was my first deck ever and it has my heart.

Aeric

Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with the Complete Matthews.

Upon another look, the Ferguson reminds me negatively of Lo Scarabeo's 1001 Nights, where the scenes are cramped into small windows by large decorative borders and text space. Many of the scenes also use the same lavender pastel colour as the border, making some details difficult to see. I also don't like that the Ferguson is a grafter, aligning sections of the Arthurian legend with the RWS meanings but throwing the narrative out of sync as a result. I have less familiarity with the legend and prefer more cohesiveness.

The Complete Matthews set luckily got rid of the thin white border but also has small Celtic designs filling in the negative space in the upper corners of the window. In contrast to Ferguson, it makes the scenes more open and airy to my eyes despite both being windows. I think I would have preferred green negative space to black or white, but I don't mind. And the art does feel more earthy and organic to the Ferguson's polished, glasslike look. It's a big plus that the book seeks the Celtic influence over the High Middle Ages Hollywood version.

Venus Rising

This was a great thread, as I had been considering the Ferguson one as well. After reading all of the great replies, I went ahead with the Matthews' edition. Great enabling here haha :D