Computerised v handwritten text

Crowqueen

OK, OK, I wanted to show off some of my artwork for my own current affairs deck (without getting too political, this is the only non "politician" card I've done so far), but genuine question: does the handwritten text look OK or do you think it would look better if I typed the text into a DTP program. I like the Impact font (as do more and more people these days...you can't move in the UK at the moment without seeing something written in it!) and can reproduce it OK by hand, but...professionally speaking, it might I think look better printed out. Also colour, texture etc., should I colour the text or does it look OK as outline only.

Centr(e)ing is a bit dodgy as well now I can see it scanned :(.

The quote is from Wordsworth's "Lucy", BTW (I presume out of copyright?), and the figure represents me returning home from a period spent abroad in order to take up the political swords of what was, for me at least, the beginning of a new era. That's another point - would it look better if there were swords in the pic or do you think the picture and the quote convey the message adequately? The King of Swords whom I've drawn already has a sword in his hand even though he is wearing a modern suit; I've tried to blend the traditional regalia in with a modern style of dress (and I have decorated his crown with spades from a regular playing card deck). It is an image of a politician though so I am wary about annoying the mods by sharing the image (the quote is from one of his speeches so I wouldn't be breaching any copyright there).

The cards are 1/4 A4 size, I always work best at actual size so I am comfortable with the dimensions I've got.

Attachments

• 2swords.jpg
    2swords.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 124

The Hanged Man

Hi CQ,

I'd say definately handwrite your card titles, and stylise the lettering however you want. There is something very impersonal about computerised lettering, it is the product of an artificial mind and not the product of a heart. A Tarot should appeal to the irrational, intuitive mind as well as the part which interprets and recognises patterns, so design your lettering based on a computer font if you like, but draw it in yourself, so then it's the product of heart, mind and labour and so imbued with more meaning than if the lettering is merely printed by a machine.

Just my thoughts.

Ravenswing

crowqueen--

go for the handwritten. it all fits together as a integral image that way. I don't think you want the words and image separated...

fly well
Raven