Deck use for blogs

starchild

I was wondering if there is a thread where Tarot deck artists have given permission for use of their decks in blogs including for teaching Tarot, deck reviews, or daily cards. I understand most artists will have their own rules and it would be nice to know who allows what. I just wondered if their was a thread where they have given their rules and permission for their wonderful art to be spread around the world...

Also, if no such blessed thread be known, another question I have is that I heard somewhere that decks by lo scarebeo are allowed on blogs if no actual paid readings are not done with them, but daily cards, teaching spreads and reviews showing cards are allowed. Does anyone know if this is true? Thankyou so much xxx

gregory

Lo Scarabeo have said here that all their decks can be used, as long as you give credit. So - yes, you heard right :)

Zephyros

Keep in mind, though, that there is a caveat, you have to be in possession of a physical deck. That means that just any old picture found on Google isn't allowed. There's no way to really trace this, as one scanned card looks like any other but since LS were kind enough to allow this it would be nice to adhere to the one limitation they specified. Courtesy should be met with courtesy.

starchild

Thankyou for your replies. The link was great, however on my blog I will be offering my services also. I am a Tarot reader so although it's not heavy advertising My services will be offered along with my contact info, so I guess that's a no go then.... Although currently it hasn't got more then my contact email address,
And yes I agree, I wouldn't just take pictures of cards from the net, I would use my own decks and take the pictures or scan them myself.

Grizabella

I also messaged Lo Scarabeo's member here on AT and he said they can be used, provided credit is given to them, but also they require that you can't publish all the images from any deck.

If you've got a Tarot of Sweet Twilight, for instance, you can post some of the cards but not all of them. You could use a few Sweet Twilight images and then switch to another of their decks and use a few of the cards in it but never the images of all 78 cards in a deck.

Lisa Hunt gave me permission to use images from her fairytale deck so long as credit was given to her, too. She didn't tell me not to use all 78 images, but I wouldn't post all 78 images anyway. It's just not right.

Most of the deck creators work for literally years on end to complete a deck and that certainly deserves our respect.

I have a blog but I don't use it for only Tarot. I use it as a store, too. There are so many Tarot blogs already that I feel like I'd be too redundant if I used it only for Tarot. I don't feel I could offer very much that's original if I tried to make it only about Tarot. As it is, it's about Tarot and Tarot-related things, but not only not just those cards. I use Lenormand and Kipper and the Tea Leaf Oracle and those will all be mentioned on my blog as well eventually.

AkiraOkihu

From my experience with PR and marketing, creators are happy when you show their products and usually allow this. Just make sure to credit them. You can also try and reach to the creators of the decks individually and ask for their permission. I am guessing you don't plan on changing your deck daily, right? One permission should get you started.

AnjouTwo

I have found that as long as you're showing their creations in use and in a positive light, most artists are happy for the publicity. What worries publishers most is someone posting high resolution images that can then be mass produced or otherwise counterfeited. I have heard from a number of people that when contacting small publishers the answer is often yes, but it would be worth your time to personally ask and then keep a record of the approval. This seems especially important since you are offering your services for a fee.

The one exception, still, appears to be Llewellyn Worldwide. They continue to ask for a written request for permission for all their titles (Permissions@Llewellyn.com) and are fairly strict about enforcement and "fair use".

starchild

Great response.
Grizabella, did your contact at lo scarebeo tell you if I can use the images if on the same blog I offer my services? 80 percent of my decks are lo scarebeo decks.

And I agree with others, I wouldn't show more then a few cards from each deck. Showing images should be a taster for the deck, not a spoiler for it. I bought most of my collection by seeing a couple of images I liked online and waited excitedly to see the rest.

I also agree that the deck sh9uld be credited, no matter where an image on the net is placed. It's something that is so simple to do ànd so fair for the hard working artists and publishers x