devil

wind

Hi,

let's talk about devil!:)
I've read some of old threads about this guy but I still don't really get it.

He's been recently coming up in my readings. Especially when I asked should I go to a certain place where I long to go and I've planning it for a long time but there are, as always (sigh), money complications. So, I asked, what to do, to be able to go? I got 7 of cups - I guess I need to be firm in my decision.

But then I asked: will I go? and I got this fellow, Devil!

What is he saying? Lioghten up, jump, just go and stop playing moral? (because I feel a little guilty since it is my dad who is giving me the money for the plane ticket and we are not in very good relationship...I feel like I am exploiting him).

So, this fellow, devil, what do you say about him?:)

Lady Mary

The one side is: Passion, energy, sex, dedication, go for something 100%
The other side can be: Obsession, addiction, bondage, too much of something

I'd say the Devil and the 7 of Cups want to tell you to make your choice - and then go for it. But never forget, it's YOUR decision, and you can also decide to go back, do something else. So if you decide to go, then do it 100%, and not half-heartedly. But never let things glide out of your hands. You have to be on top of things at every time. Think everything through and make good plans. Also an escape plan! :)

Cascade

Ties that bind

Hi wind

I think the Devil might also be referring to the feelings of your relationship with your father. Are there strings(chains) attached to you receiving the money for this trip? Does he feel this gift will bind you to him in some way? Or maybe one of those seven cups is holding your father's peace offering. This could be an opportunity to focus on your relationship. Picture this: you accept the money for the trip, take it, have many adventures, buy Dad a gift, come home and start telling about the trip he "funded". Conversation flows freely because you have something to say, and he's interested. Later you find a restaurant that reminds you of one on your trip and you invite him there. And so you have created a whole new world for the two of you.

Those 7 cups are filled with so many choices. but you need to focus on just one. I like to think the skull cup is the death of an old emotion/habit, with the laurel being the victory wreath over it.

I can't always equate the Devil card with bad or evil. There are times I think it's OK to be rather 'base'. After all, aren't those the same two on the Lover's card? The Devil tells I can come to terms with my dark side. because His shadow is the Light side. IMO :)

ArcanoMáximo

Hi wind!
which's the deck you are using?
Cause if it is the RWS i would answer you questions so:

what to do, to be able to go?
7 of cups - Well, keep the illusions, but you are not being realist at all right now, there are many more to accomplish before yet, or with which you count is just with the wishes, but not with material potential, is a "cup card" after all...

will I go?
The Devil!- hmmm...can you see his right open hand in high like if he was a transit agent saying STOP? For me the first answer could be "No", cause there is a selfish personality around chaining you with material needs.
But reading the rest of your post when you say you don't wanna abuse of your father asking him for money even when having emotional troubles with him, well, for me is just what you'll do cause if you really wanna go you haven't another posibility. Isn't the better choice (is not for example The Emperor card) but is the only you can do right now.

Just my 2 cents!

wind

Hi, everyone,

thank you for your input.

Well, I took the money from my dad and I bought the plane ticket...so, I guess I am going!:) I also think that 7 of cups was telling me: just make up your mind for sure and then follow it.

I did feel bound because I depend on my dad to give me money. But it is the only way for me to go and he insisted on giving me this cash. So...

Thanks again!

HudsonGray

The Devil often comes across as your own worst enemy holding you back, it's an internal card where restrictions abound. You just have to remember that you can take the restrictions on yourself off too. The Devil is that little voice inside that talks you out of things so you don't grow, you stagnate. It tries to keep things the same without change because it's 'safe'. So when I get this card I have to think "What am I holding myself back from and why am I doing it?"

You'll get some surprising answers.

arachnophobia

wind said:
Hi,

>let's talk about devil!:)
I've read some of old threads about this guy but I still don't really get it.
He's been recently coming up in my readings. Especially when I asked should I go to a certain place where I long to go and I've planning it for a long time but there are, as always (sigh), money complications. So, I asked, what to do, to be able to go? I got 7 of cups - I guess I need to be firm in my decision.

To me, the Devil indicates obsession, addiction, an idee fixe, someone or something that seems running your life, when you should find yourself in the driver's seat. You have found yourself obsessed with this idea for some time, possibly to the detriment of other aspects of your life?

7 of Cups (which I just got for my personal meditation card this morning!...funny that!) would colour the obsession with a delusional/illusory/hallucinatory quality, i.e. what you feel in love with seems more of a fantasy than reality, and if you do follow through with it, you may find yourself in for one big anticlimax, but that could be exactly what you need (disillusionment = stripping away of illusions which you have carried for some time; not pleasant at the time, but maybe the only way you will learn they amounted to illusions!) ;-P

>(because I feel a little guilty since it is my dad who is giving me the money for the plane ticket and we are not in very good relationship...I feel like I am exploiting him).

Maybe he tries to "bind" you to him with generous presents, when he feels you drifting away... Go ahead, and "exploit", if that still seems what you need to do! i.e. fight "the devil" with "the devil"! lol