differences in reading TdM vs 1JJ Swiss

dawntarot

Hello all!

I just got my 1JJ yesterday and although I love it (by some stroke of fortune it's AGM, not USG :D), I'm finding I can't use my TdM "technique" (such as it is). So I was wondering if others have found this too? If so, what technique do you use? I really want to use this deck, it's beautiful, but so far I'm finding it tricky to read.

It's funny, this didn't happen to me with TdM. Although I felt I'd jumped in the deep end, I wasn't getting stuck exactly. In fact I've been confident enough to read for strangers face-to-face, which *never* happened with RWS. So why does this Marseille variant have me stumped?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. :)

Dawn

Sulis

I don't have the IJJ Swiss but I do read other 'pip' decks in the same way as I read the TdM - number, element, linking to the Majors and most of all, the image... Are the vines growing or dying? Is there space in the image or does it look really crowded? Which way are the characters looking? What card or bit of a card's image are they looking at? Does anything look like a huge block or a gateway? Do the numbers progress and increase or decrease? Does the spread look balanced? Which way is the energy flowing?
Those are the sort of questions I ask when looking at a TdM reading and that's what I'd do when reading any sort of pip deck (which is why I hate the decks where the pips seem to be afterthoughts and are just rows of cups, swords, batons and disks without any embellishment or pattern at all).
Having said all that, those are the things I tend to consider but I don't really have a technique, sometimes things jump out at me quite obviously and I try to look at the spread as a whole.

What is your 'TdM' technique?

dawntarot

Hi Sulis, thanks for your response, lots to think about there! The way I do pips for TdM at the moment, is I paired the trumps in tens, eg I with XI, then placed each corresponding pip between them as a sort of mid-point between the two energies. So for example the Aces between Magician and Strength, suggesting to me the different raw power/potential of each suit. I did this for all the numbers up to ten. Then the courts I laid in order between the Fool and the World, suggesting progression within the suit. So a knave would only be "a little bit" swords, while the king would be "intensely" swords. Does that make sense? I use that as a starting point and then look at all the vines etc for more detail, and that's a very intuitive process.

I thought I would easily be able to apply this to the 1JJ, but I feel like the cards aren't "speaking", or that they're talking in riddles and I haven't cracked it yet. I think it might be because the vines are not so bold, but perhaps I just need to approach this deck differently.

I'm very new to reading with pip decks, but with my Convos I feel I've been making rapid progress. Maybe I just need more practise, but I'd like to hear what everyone thinks. :)

Dawn

dawntarot

Progress!

So after a few more days with this deck, I feel I'm getting somewhere. I have found that using a summary card is really helpful - even if I don't pull and interpret it, just bearing its energy in mind seems to help me read better. Also, I've come to associate odd-numbered pips as "challenges" and even numbers as "strengths" - although there are some notable exceptions, such as the Ten of Swords which shows two crossed in the middle, for example.

I've also been spending some time just going through the deck, looking closely at the cards, and I've been getting some flashes of insight by doing this. I can see it's going to be a long journey to really get to know the nuances of this deck.

What pleases me most is that I can read for myself with this deck - I have very little experience doing this because usually I can't make sense of the cards when it's for me. I don't know why. This deck seems different - and it also seems to have a wicked sense of humour! The other day I had a really nasty individuals in my shop, and when I got home I asked the cards what their problem was. The card I drew was The Fool... Priceless.

This has all turned into a bit of a ramble. Getting back on topic, yes, I'm finding there are differences. This deck has a character all of its own and I'm really enjoying getting to know it, and the Marseille school more generally. I will always love my Pagan Cats deck... But I doubt I'll ever buy another RWS. ;)

Dawn

Thoughtful

Dawn, lovely to read that you are beginning to enjoy the 1JJ, its such an underated little deck nowadays. Like you l do personal readings with it in fact thats how l came to really know the cards, and yes this deck as well as having a serious teaching side also has a lovely sense of humour! if i am getting too serious about something and ask a question, the cards l get for the answer often make me smile and brings me back down to earth.

When l first got the deck l asked how it would work with me and the Hierophant came up and still does, so l knew it would teach me alot in the beginning. Later l asked if we would stay connected and work well together, the Heirophant and the two of cups came up, so l knew l would get more teaching as we went along and that we would also have a true loving connection.

Try not to get too serious with trying to find your card's meanings, or put other peoples meanings into the cards. Allow the cards to teach you how they will work with you, a true teacher allows the pupil to learn gradually and then having built a rapport will watch how the pupil expands and opens up to a much greater sense of awareness. What you will read in the cards will be unique to you and eventually you will be able to get some superb readings. l have had the most wonderful readings for others from this deck. l look on this deck as my confidant, my best friend, my teacher and as long as l am sincere and treat it with respect l get more and more from it.

This is a deck that l feel finds its way to those who will appreciate and love it. As l have said in a few posts it may appear to be the poor relation, the orphan, but whoever adopts it will find it to be a treasure of hidden depth.

l am not ashamed to wax lyrical over the 1JJ, it deserves it. I am sure dawn you will have a close and good working partnership with your 1JJ.

dawntarot

Thank you so much for your response, Thoughtful. You're absolutely right, I wasn't getting anywhere with this deck until I stopped trying to attach "my" system to it and just let it speak. What I mentioned previously about summary cards and odds/challenge, even/strength are both totally new to me and what the deck taught to me itself. So I definitely heed your words to trust the deck, to not impose upon it and allow myself to change the way I read as the relationship develops... Very much like a personal relationship!

I too am tempted to wax lyrical... My cats deck delights me and offers up a feast of beautiful imagery and food for thought. Without this deck I would not be where I am in this journey. The 1JJ is demanding a lot more - that I not only read it, but come to understand it deeply and treat it as I would a lover. Intense, but ultimately a beautiful thing.

I also heed what you say about this deck finding its way to the right people... When I went to order it, only one was left in stock. As I mentioned already it's AGM so has excellent cardstock. And it fits perfectly into a little "old lady" purse I found in a charity shop and put away for a tarot bag, even though I knew a standard size deck wouldn't fit it - I knew there was a deck out there which would find its way "home"... and the backs have tartan. ;)

Oh, and the deck was actually paid for by the same friend who bought me the cats deck... I also consider this a sign...

So I definitely relate to your post, and I look forward to learning from and working with this deck. :)

Dawn

Thoughtful

l have to put right a mistake l made in calling Jupiter the Heirophant!! very remiss of me. Although when looking at Jupiter you can see that he doesn't mind, he sits there very patient and understanding, bless him.