Differing opinions on birthstones - how to find yours?

Labhraín

I have seen many sites that tell you what your birthstone is. There are differing answers, depending on the source. My birthstone is usually listed as peridot, but I have seen other stones listed in addition to peridot, such as sardonyx. Sometimes they don't list either one of these.

There is a site http://www.crystalvaults.com/pages/crystal_colors_explained.php that says your birthstone is determined by the color wheel of life. My birthstone turned out to be different, according to this site. It's pretty interesting. This site, Crystal Vaults, also has a list of historic and current traditional birthstones.

Do you have any trusted resources that you use to determine birthstone?

cardlady22

Lists have been made (and changed) for as long as people have been asking. :grin:

Some changes are made for the mere increase of profit. Others are more thoughtful.
http://www.bernardine.com/gemstones/birthstones.htm

I prefer groupings of stones, like the pouches that some vendors offer. At the very least, I would want a stone that boosts the strengths of my sign along with a balance to counter the struggles or lessons.

Labhraín

Lists have been made (and changed) for as long as people have been asking. :grin:

Some changes are made for the mere increase of profit. Others are more thoughtful.
http://www.bernardine.com/gemstones/birthstones.htm

I prefer groupings of stones, like the pouches that some vendors offer. At the very least, I would want a stone that boosts the strengths of my sign along with a balance to counter the struggles or lessons.

I agree with you Card Lady. I gravitate towards sources that have obviously given thought and meaning behind birthstones, because people really look to those things for help and so I think genuine thought and care is important. I have not seen the site you mentioned - I'll check it out today. Thank you.

Bhavana

my whole life i have thought that my birthstone is the sapphire (september) which is fine with me, and it seems to be the most common stone listed for the month. However, if you go by your sun sign, the birthstone is different - I was born end September, so I am a Libra, and Libra's stone is the opal, which is also fine with me - I love both opals and sapphires, so I'll take them both!

Labhraín

my whole life i have thought that my birthstone is the sapphire (september) which is fine with me, and it seems to be the most common stone listed for the month. However, if you go by your sun sign, the birthstone is different - I was born end September, so I am a Libra, and Libra's stone is the opal, which is also fine with me - I love both opals and sapphires, so I'll take them both!

Bhavana, you should check out the site that Card Lady listed here. It really is a terrific site and there are actually are even more birthstones listed for September besides sapphire and opal.

Bhavana

Bhavana, you should check out the site that Card Lady listed here. It really is a terrific site and there are actually are even more birthstones listed for September besides sapphire and opal.

yeah! Now I can add chyrsolite, sardonyx, moonstone, peridot, zircan, and agate! My goodness.