Do I really need to know all this stuff?

Asbestos Mango

I've been wanting to use my Thoth Tarot for when I want to do more in-depth readings on a weekly basis, besides my daily reading, but I'm feeling a little intimidated. Thing is, many years back, I did have a Thoth deck, and I used it and got some really insightful readings, just using my intuition and occasionally referring to the LWB. I wasn't aware at the time of the Kabbalistic and astrological elements of the deck, I just knew that it would tell me what I needed to know, whether I wanted to know or not (I really wish I'd dumped my XBF when the Thoth told me to, I could have saved myself a couple of years of abuse).

But now, I'm more aware of Crowley's magical system and philosophy, and I bought Lon Milo DuQuettes wonderful book, "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot", and the magical/alchemical/astrological stuff goes through my brain like a seive, and I'm really not up for making notes and charts and graphs in order to be able to use the deck. I mean, I am getting a better idea of the symbolism involved with the deck. Part of me just wants to go back to doing intuitive readings with it, using the LWB to fall back on if I get stuck, but knowing that there is so much more to the deck than I had previously realized, I feel kind of obligated to learn as much as I can about the Kaballah and Astrology before I start using the deck again. It's a wonderful deck,

Should I just go ahead and finish gleaning the DuQuette book for all the symbolism I can draw from it and just go ahead and read the cards intuitively? I seemed to get really good results in the past with noting more than the LWB and my intuition to go on, it seems pointless to do in-depth studies of astrology and Kaballah when I think I could get good results from the deck without having a proper working knowledge of these things. And I like a deck that doesn't pull any punches, and will cut to the heart of the matter. It's really a wonderful deck, and I would hate to deprive myself of the use of it because I don't have all this magical/esoteric knowledge that seems to go with it.

Aeon418

Should I just go ahead and finish gleaning the DuQuette book for all the symbolism I can draw from it and just go ahead and read the cards intuitively?
If that's what you want to do, go ahead, there's nothing stopping you. But just because you decide to go in this direction with the Thoth it's not as if you have passed an invisible rubicon and can never change your mind. All the symbolism and theoretical stuff will still be there later on if you should decide you want to deepen your understanding of the deck. There's no rush to understand everthing. In fact it's impossible to understand everything all at once. This is one thing about the Thoth that draws people in.

If you do intend to go down the intuitive route I would suggest you pay special attention to DuQuette when he points out the differences between the Thoth and other decks. I've seen a number of intuitive readers who brought a lot of baggage with them from other decks. I remember one instance where I saw someone doing an intuitive reading in which The Devil card came up, and the reader started going on and on about evil, obsession, and addiction exactly as if she were reading the more Christian influenced RWS. I was left wondering why she bothered using the Thoth in the first place.

Asbestos Mango

Thanks Aeon418. I don't know why I feel like I need permission to use the Thoth without the in depth study of the esoteric stuff. I've used it before in the past with nothing to go by but the LWB, with excellent results.

I will try to keep in mind Crowley's take on the cards. Sometimes he and Lady Harris made it easy for us- Lust instead of Strangth, Art instead of Temperance, the Aeon instead of Judgement. And sometimes just the imagery helps- the Devil in the Thoth is kind of a lusty, vital goat, with the phallus and "testicles" with the little human figures inside instaed of the demonic figure holding a man and woman in chains.

It will take some getting used to, since I've been using primarily RWS-based decks, but I've read the DuQuette book twice, and I'm rereading the section on the actual cards right now.

nicky

Years ago I decided I would learn the Thoth if it killed me and it was an incredable journey but I do not really use the Thoth as a primary deck, nor do I know all the esoteric stuff. (I wish ) I think we remember those things that stand out for a reason when we study and those things can be used to make your readings fuller. That said, take what you want and leave the rest -you may want to go back to it later down the road.

Aeon418

I will try to keep in mind Crowley's take on the cards. Sometimes he and Lady Harris made it easy for us- Lust instead of Strangth, Art instead of Temperance, the Aeon instead of Judgement.
I agree. :) But they can be a little bit subtle too.

With the switch from Strength to Lust Crowley not only wanted to convey the traditional qualities of Strength but also to add a sense of joy, exuberance, and vitality. A real Lust for Life.

Art suggests more than the simple moderation and balancing of Temperance because Art, like ourselves, is highly individual. There is a balanced elegance and beauty in Art that is unique.

In the Aeon the Last Judgement has come and gone. The focus is very much on the next step and the Birth of New (Aeon).
And sometimes just the imagery helps- the Devil in the Thoth is kind of a lusty, vital goat, with the phallus and "testicles" with the little human figures inside instaed of the demonic figure holding a man and woman in chains.
Lusty vitality and full of creative energy. That's the Thoth Devil. })
But old religious dogmas have taught us to demonize this power and view it as sinful and wicked. The Devil is the eternal scapegoat, but he's smiling because he sees the joke.