Dog Days: High Noon at La Lune

Fulgour

Dog Days: High Noon at Marseille XVIII La Lune (?)

I have been doing some research, and based on observation
and study it now seems to me that the events taking place
on XVIII La Lune are happening in broad daylight, not night.

Dogs are not nocturnal creatures, and from my own experience,
neither are crayfish. Of course the astral event here depicted
is rather spectacular, but I don't think it's happening at night.

Is this too obvious, or another totally ridiculous assumption? :)

prudence

hi Fulgour,

do you mean that it may show a solar eclipse?

RChMI

The face in the heavenly sphere is representative of the Moon, while the outer radiance is that of the Sun, symbolizing an eclipse.

The two "canines" are represntative of a Wolf (Sun) and a Dog (Moon,) where mythologically the dog eats the wolf, symbilizing an eclipse.

The "crayfish" is representative of a crab, which is said to come out and dance at night under the Moon.

All three aspects correspond to the Moon, as Solar eclipse, Lunar eclipse, and the Moon itself.

Fulgour

Hello Astrid O

Astrid O said:
hi Fulgour, do you mean that it may show a solar eclipse?
Something that I have found requiring some concentration
is to realise that when the Moon is New it is with the Sun,
both together in the sky at the same time and same place.

During a Solar eclipse the Moon passes between the Sun
and the Earth~ a Full Moon creating a total Solar eclipse.
But at a New Moon the Sun & Moon appear together too!

As for the Wolf: I don't see a wolf on Le Tarot de Marseille.
The dogs are practically hairless and have long slender tails.
Crayfish may be nocturnal, but I've not found that the case,
so wouldn't all of these combined clearly signal it's daytime?

Fulgour

Hello RChMI

RChMI said:
The two "canines" are represntative of a Wolf (Sun) and a Dog (Moon,) where mythologically the dog eats the wolf, symbilizing an eclipse. The "crayfish" is representative of a crab, which is said to come out and dance at night under the Moon.
I really do like both of these stories :) but do not "see" them
taking place on the card itself. I like to look just at the card
sometimes and then read into them based more on that way.

jmd

Perhaps there are indeed different ways to see and 'read' the symbolic imagery on this card, and of course the possibility of an eclipse has also been mentioned and discussed here and elsewhere before.

So I will only add reflections on the various depictions of the Moon itself as it appears on the card, following some rather brief comments on the animals.

Firstly, there are indeed stories of crabs 'dancing' by night, pincers up, at full Moon.

Also, I'm not sure about other places, but though dogs are indeed diurnal (not nocturnal) creatures, this does not prevent their being rather more active during time of full Moon.

From depicted or implied activity, then, there is no reason to suggest daylight.

But even more telling is the manner in which the Moon's face is depicted.

One can look at the Moon and observe where it faces.

In the northern hemisphere, when the Moon 'faces' left, it is still newish and waxing. Only when full does it fully 'face' you, or show its full face.

With this, if we consider the two most common depictions, we see that the Payen and Dodal, by fully 'facing' the viewer, likely depict a full Moon, whereas the Conver, facing left, probably depicts a newish Moon.

If it were and eclipse, I would suggest that no face would be shown.

The radiating light only depicts the sheer volume of light the Moon reflects in times and areas not light-polluted.

I have attached, for consideration, the Dodal and the Conver versions (of the face of the Moon only).

Attachments

• Dodal & Conver Moons.jpg
    Dodal & Conver Moons.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 132

Fulgour

jmd said:
From depicted or implied activity, then, there is no reason to suggest daylight.
Two dogs playfully looking skyward, and a crayfish floating on a pond.
An ORB in the Heavens blasting light rays in all directions. Why night?

prudence

.... in the Dodal, there is a distinct red "collar" or ring around the neck and face of the moon.....it reminds me of the red ring around the moon that is seen in a solar eclipse (chromosphere).

but, as was mentioned earlier, the Moon's face would be darkened, not illuminated...hmm. I feel there is a valid argument on all sides.

Just like the Moon to be so mysterious. ;)

Fulgour

Something not seen on any other card appears here:

We can see a line of rocks across the bottom of the
image shown... we are placed standing across from
what is on the card~ WE are there, at a distance.