Extended Yes/No Spread

wulzcat

Hello,

Not sure if this spread or similar already exists here but i did a search and didn't see it... I got it from the book 'Psychic Tarot' by Craig Junjulas, and have found it to be excellent. I provide it here with some of my own minor modifications and comments.

Use this spread when you would like a yes or no answer. In my experience it works best when the question is based on the likelihood of something happening rather than requiring a factual answer (so for instance asking if Paris is the capital of France might not get a 'yes' but something altogether more ambiguous :D), but do try it for any questions... I asked twice if I would be married within two to three years and got two unequivocal yes-es. The I asked if I had already met the man I would marry and got an ambiguous response... then i asked again and it threw all the 'bad' cards at me, the Tower, 10 of wands, 5 of coins, etc etc, so i gathered the cards did *not* consider it a good question. ;)

You first lay out 5 cards, and the yes/no is shown simply by the number of uprights to reversals. The more uprights, the stronger the positive indication.

Lay them out like this:

**4****2****1****3****5**

Card position meanings:
1 - Present situation/influences
2 - Recent Past
3 - Near Future
4 - Distant past/foundation
5 - Distant future/outcome (if nothing is changed by the querent)

However, sometimes I find the cards make better sense if laid out sequentially, 1 - 5, with 3 as the 'present'.

So - 5 uprights is a definite yes, destiny with no obstacles (but even destiny usually has some obstacles); 4 is a yes, no major obstacles; 3 is a ye-es, but might be a bit more of an effort, 2 is a hmm, don't think so, and doesn't seem a very good idea either; 1 is a hmmm, no, rethink required and 0 upright is no, you've a snowball's chance in hell...

That should give you your yes or no, with some narrative of how things are likely to pan out. Now you can get extra information on *why* you got this answer by dealing out three more cards from the top of the deck like this:

************7************
************6************
**4****2****1****3****5**
************8************

Card 6 covers card 1 and indicates the querent's conscious thoughts on the matter. Card 7 is a message from the higher self, and card 8 is subconscious patterns that are influencing the matter. That's how the positions are given in the book, but I find the vertical axis shows the mental influences at work, conscious or unconscious, and may not reference the querent's thoughts but perhaps another person in the situation (e.g. the lover in a relationship question).

So I find it a very thorough spread, giving not only a clear yes/no, but also showing the likely events pertaining to the question along the horizontal axis, and the unseen mental influences along the vertical axis.

Hope this is useful to someone! :)

Red_Ocean

I like it. I'm going to try it and give you feed back :)

Padma

thanks, Wulzcat, it looks like a very insightful spread - I will try this week! :) Hopefully with my new Housewives deck... :D

wulzcat

Well I do like it because it seems to give very clear answers (to me, at least); it doesn't give you a fixed outcome to worry about but gives you clear advice on what to do, or what you should expect, and the reasons why. It also seems to brook no nonsense from me when I ask it stupid questions. :D

And whatever the answer I get it always tallies with what I secretly knew all along, so I always react with a 'yes, I thought as much' or 'yes, that was a stupid question'. ;)

I have actually asked it some serious questions too, and have also used it when another spread, which could not initially be reduced to a yes/no question, has given me an answer I did not understand. Instant clarification. :D